Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Player Start Locations

I'm using Boom format.

I want the player to appear in his original starting location when playing single player on any skill level, but also on any skill level, start somewhere else when playing in coop (because the original starting location is a little tight for more than one player to start in.

I found that setting the player starts to "multiplayer" and/or "not cooperative" doesn't do anything. Can anyone think of some kinda workaround?

You could try placing the playerstarts in a box with a conveyor belt that teleports the players pretty much right away to different start destinations.

Tag the destination sectors with the same tag, and filter a different destination with the thing flags;

Singleplayer: Not Deathmatch + Not Cooperative
Cooperative: Multiplayer + Not Deathmatch
Deathmatch: Multiplayer + Not Cooperative

I think that teleport destination do honor the skill settings (the teleport on MAP19 doesn't work on Easy skill). So I think that Worst's method can be fixed by having all teleport destinations in the same sector (possibly a disconnected one) and teleport from there to different locations. Slade 2 isn't being cooperative, else I'd check.

Yes, teleport destinations certainly take into account skill settings. Player starts don't.

Also, as I mentioned in another thread, you can change the layout of a map's progression by flagging decorations according to skill. You can do this the simple way, by blocking a path that would normally lead somewhere, or you can use like a hanging corpse to block a monster or voodoo doll that is on a conveyor. Of course you can also use the Not Coop or Not Deathmatch flags as well.

It's not exactly what 40oz was looking for, but it's another way of altering a map based on skill settings and game mode.

EarthQuake said:

Also, as I mentioned in another thread, you can change the layout of a map's progression by flagging decorations according to skill. You can do this the simple way, by blocking a path that would normally lead somewhere, or you can use like a hanging corpse to block a monster or voodoo doll that is on a conveyor. Of course you can also use the Not Coop or Not Deathmatch flags as well.

All good suggestions and, if you are using a port that has a scripting system that allows the identification of the skill setting, its very easy to run a script to change map geometry (or the speed of a crusher or whatever) depending on the skill that the player has chosen: an interesting idea that has been surprisingly rarely used in released maps.

My only dabble at this has been to alter some lighting on skill 2 to make an area easier to see some monsters but you're right, there's alot that could be done to make maps play differently based on skill & gametype or both.