Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jekyll Grim Payne

Doom Guns Amplified (mod)

https://sites.google.com/site/jekyllgrim/all-for-doom/wads-mods/dga.zip?attredirects=0

For (G)ZDoom

Sometimes using standard Doom guns you feel really underpowered, especially when you're not in the mood for tough strategic hardcore gameplay but just want to have some fun. In this case you can use the amplified guns. These are just standard guns, but a little... tweaked so to say. I made them for fun when I had an evening to kill. There are no new sounds, no special effects and little new graphics, but noticeably different performance.

The guns are:

1.1 Fists -- natually, there are two of them, meaning much greater speed. We'll see how mancubi can kill now you now when you're on Berserk!

1.2 Dualsaw -- a chainsaw with two blades = twice the damage and twice the pain. With this you won't have any problems mowing down not only a Pinky, but also lots of other demons (even a Hell Knight might die before hitting you).

2. Dual Pistols -- nothing unexpeted, right? Pistol always sucked, but Deus Vult 2 gave me the idea that when there're two of them, they suck not so much.

3.1 Semi-auto shotgun -- same old shit, but doesn't require any pumping, so much quicker. Doesn't make it much cooler, but you can clear rooms much more effective with it.

3.2 Supersupershotgun -- well... it's twice the supershotgun with FOUR barrels now! Bulletstorm gave me the idea of 4 barrels.

4. Minigun -- nothing unusual, just twice the firespeed of original chaingun. Yeah, I admit, I simply ripped the idea off Beautiful Doom's Chaingun alt attack.

5. Rocket Launcher -- greater firespeed, quicker missiles and also homing functions (I should emphasize that the new rockets do NOT _seek_ targets, they simply adjust their trajectory in case the target moved aside after you shot at it). The rockets are also a bit smaller in size now, allowing you to shoot them into smaller holes. Neat.

6. Plasmagun -- this gun always became much less useful after you picked up BFG, as using cells for BFG seemed to be much more effective. Now it's not that simple. Plasmagun has greater firespeed AND the plasmaballs are quicker and actually SEEK targets. Shooting assholes around the corner is no big deal, neither is clearing a room full of demons without even aiming at anyone.

7. BFG -- honestly, I didn't invent much. Thus it simply shoots green railguns at monsters while the ball is flying (yeah, you've seen it in Bad Guns).

[i]Jekyll Grim Payne said:

Plasmagun -- it was always one of the most useless guns after you picked up BFG, as using plasmagun seemed to be a waste of ammo after that.

uhh no

There's plenty of situations where I'd rather have a plasma rifle than BFG ready.

Cool, a bunch of people have made overpowered weapons mods, but I've yet to see one that tries to make weapons more powerful in a balanced manner while preserving their general feel. Thanks, I'll enjoy playing Sunder with these since I'm not good enough at Doom to play it normally on Ultra-Violence, and the author didn't put in any easier difficulties!

One thing I would have done differently though, is making the pistol shoot slightly more powerful shots than the minigun (while being a lot slower, of course). Despite having much lower DPS, this would have made it more useful in situations where you need to conserve ammo.

Also, what source port is this for? I hope it works in Doomsday.

Marcaek said:

uhh no

There's plenty of situations where I'd rather have a plasma rifle than BFG ready.

Well, I don't think this was a very good idea, as using 40 cells for a BFG shot makes much higher coefficient of efficiency than using them to shoot out of plasmagun :) IMHO

Spleen said:

Cool, a bunch of people have made overpowered weapons mods, but I've yet to see one that tries to make weapons more powerful in a balanced manner while preserving their general feel. Thanks, I'll enjoy playing Sunder with these since I'm not good enough at Doom to play it normally on Ultra-Violence, and the author didn't put in any easier difficulties!

One thing I would have done differently though, is making the pistol shoot slightly more powerful shots than the minigun (while being a lot slower, of course). Despite having much lower DPS, this would have made it more useful in situations where you need to conserve ammo.

Also, what source port is this for? I hope it works in Doomsday.

I purposefully didn't want to change the actual characteristics of weapons' attacks, I just wanted to change various properties. It was kind of a task for me -- no changing the firepower. Thus the firepower of the weapons is original in all cases (SSSG just uses 2 original attacks at the same time).

I don't think it can work under Doomsday, it uses ZDoom Decorate.

Not in every situation. It depends on how you use the tracers for one, and there's times where spamming the BFG can be wasteful. One example is attacking Cybers in areas where you can't maximize tracer impact.

The plasma rifle's high ROF causes frequent flinching, which combined with it's high damage is devastating. It's great to use on Revenant hordes, where the BFG would give them time to get a shot off.

Marcaek said:

Not in every situation. It depends on how you use the tracers for one, and there's times where spamming the BFG can be wasteful. One example is attacking Cybers in areas where you can't maximize tracer impact.

The plasma rifle's high ROF causes frequent flinching, which combined with it's high damage is devastating.

Well, OBVIOUSLY I was talking about my gamestyle, in which I prefer saving precious cells for BFG.

Well ok :\

I'm just pointing out that the plasma rifle is far from useless. I editied my post above while you were typing BTW.

Marcaek said:

Well ok :\

I'm just pointing out that the plasma rifle is far from useless. I editied my post above while you were typing BTW.

Well, that happens. The statement abotu plasmagun being useless was just a part of a mod description, which I made in a kinda categorical ad-like way :) Of course it isn't useless, I just don't use it too often myself.

Anyway, I removed 'useless' from the 1st post after all. :)