Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ichor

Carnage Galore 3, now for GZDoom

I looked at the cause for that offset bug, and I discovered that it was something leftover from the original Hexen. If you play it as a mage with those scaling options and resolution (What was your resolution anyway?), it will be glitchy as well. I didn't see it until now because I never played with the status bar so small like that. It's also only those frost shards. All other weapons for all other classes are fine.

Screenshot_Hexen_20190806_161001.png

Fascinating, so it's some kind of vanilla bug then? Hm.

I never bothered to check this back in the original game, and CG3 marks my first full Mage playthrough of the game or a Hexen WAD, until now I played as a Fighter almost exclusively. I'm always playing in 1920x1080 (but stream in 720p 60fps), it's my resolution of choice, unless I'm using a port that doesn't support it, such as Crispy, Retro, Choco, and so on.

Fun fact though, Hexen is the only game where I play with those scaling settings, in Doom I keep almost everything on Scale to Fullscreen, with or without maintaining the aspect ratio of the status bar. Should I bring this to Graf's attention?

It couldn't hurt to report it. In the meantime, I will lower the offset so that won't be an issue. Funny thing is, comparing the frost shard hands and the King Loric's heart hands, the frost shard hands were a lot higher.

16 minutes ago, Ichor said:

It couldn't hurt to report it. In the meantime, I will lower the offset so that won't be an issue. Funny thing is, comparing the frost shard hands and the King Loric's heart hands, the frost shard hands were a lot higher.

Does sound like an offset issue in that case indeed. I never noticed this either, I just assumed something went missing at the base of the hand's sprite.

I shot Graf a message in the meantime, we'll see what happens next since apparently this exists in the original game as well.

I cannot really say what happened here. The funny thing is that the offset adjustment for fullscreen mode makes the gap disappear there, but with a status bar on the sprite is simply too small.

The only way to fix this would be to hack the sprite offset, but then it'd also require a change to the fullscreen positioning.

A wild update appears!

Nothing too major, but I did fix a few nagging issues that I've been meaning to get to.

• Lowered brutaur health
  • Fixed a few errors that showed up on startup (which did affect a few monster drops)
  • Tightened the spread of the cleric crossbow a little, making it better for long distances
  • Improved the torch effects. It's not so unnaturally bright now and the flickering looks better.
  • Improved the full screen status bar. It also now shows armor values and weapon pieces.

Hello there! I've just replayed an older version of this mod, version 1.2 it seems, and I love the look of it much more than the one I just downloaded from the link directly above this - "A wild update appears!" I only got onto it about a week ago, when I was looking for clues or a walkthrough for the first hub, and I discovered that you have been working on this old game only very recently (just over half a year ago!) From the moment I begin in that cave in the very first map, the entire palette now looks incredibly dull. I also don't like that almost all of the pickups I saw when beginning this seem to resemble nothing from the original anymore. There are still plenty of similar things, but 

I also seem unable to get into the third hub at all once I walk through the exit portal from the second hub/world after the battle with the Fully Matured Chaos Serpents (FMCSs) in your new update, and I can't seem to warp to it either using the "visit" commands in-game, or the "map" command in the console. I used gzdoom version 4.0.0. This was quite disappointing because I wanted to warp straight there, to see all that you have added in since the last version I have had.

Also, can I make a suggestion? Can you include an option to turn off the health bars for all the enemies? (Unless it's already there and I've just missed it). I think it is a great inclusion when it comes to the battles against the boss monsters, especially the Death Wyverns, so I know if my shots actually hit it when it's flying all the way away from me on the other side of the large outdoor areas, but it's irritating for all the lesser enemies. Since I have only played the FMCSs boss battle so far, it seems to me that the bosses don't have health/hp bars though?!?!? For me, the bosses are the only enemies that I do want the hp bars for. But the main thing I thought you should know is that I am unable to access the 3rd hub at all.

Edited by maulosiarch

6 hours ago, maulosiarch said:

Hello there! I've just replayed an older version of this mod, version 1.2 it seems, and I love the look of it much more than the one I just downloaded from the link directly above this - "A wild update appears!" I only got onto it about a week ago, when I was looking for clues or a walkthrough for the first hub, and I discovered that you have been working on this old game only very recently (just over half a year ago!) From the moment I begin in that cave in the very first map, the entire palette now looks incredibly dull. I also don't like that almost all of the pickups I saw when beginning this seem to resemble nothing from the original anymore. There are still plenty of similar things, but 

I also seem unable to get into the third hub at all once I walk through the exit portal from the second hub/world after the battle with the Fully Matured Chaos Serpents (FMCSs) in your new update, and I can't seem to warp to it either using the "visit" commands in-game, or the "map" command in the console. I used gzdoom version 4.0.0. This was quite disappointing because I wanted to warp straight there, to see all that you have added in since the last version I have had.

Also, can I make a suggestion? Can you include an option to turn off the health bars for all the enemies? (Unless it's already there and I've just missed it). It would be great for the boss monsters, especially the Death Wyverns, so I know if my shots actually hit it when it's flying all the way away from me on the other side of the large outdoor areas. Since I have only played the FMCSs boss battle so far, it seems to me that the bosses don't have health/hp bars though?!?!? For me, the bosses are the only enemies that I do want the hp bars for. But the main thing I thought you should know is that I am unable to access the 3rd hub at all.

A few maps have some places with a very thin fog, but most of the time there isn't any. In the case of that first map, it's a sickly green and that's done on purpose. Once you go up the stairs to the main city, it clears up. Some maps have areas with red or orange or even a pale blue, and some have the basic Hexen fog.

A few of the pickups were changed over the years. The biggest changes are the malison scroll and potion of freezing. These aren't simple sprite changes, but they function a lot differently now. The malison scroll curses any monsters except bosses that are close to you, making them do less damage to you and making them easier to kill. The potion of freezing is like a land mine. It will only explode if something walks into it. It also gives the other classes besides the mage the ability to freeze enemies. Everything else is basically the same, though there were a few additions as well.

The third hub isn't completed (though I am fairly close to finishing it). The old updates had a couple of maps that weren't complete and I decided to remove those until the third hub is done.

As for the health bars, all enemies have them. It just so happens that that death wyvern was too far away for it to show up. I've been trying to find out how to increase that range, but I haven't had much luck yet.

Thank you... I thought there was something wrong with my version of GZDoom or something like that, which makes the third hub inaccessible... but if you've removed in on purpose, I now know that it's not me!

But seriously consider having a toggle option for the health bars on enemies, so they can be turned on/off in the options or something like that, because for me it personally ruins the believable aspect of a fantasy world, when a digital number counter is plastered on top of the head of every creature that you come across. 

Alright, time for a minor update:

• There is now an option to turn the health bars on and off at the bottom of the Options menu.
  • Made the health bars bigger to make it easier to read the text.
  • Fixed a glitch where there was a one pixel wide gap on the right side of the health bar. It wasn't noticeable in the dark, but in bright places or if you're looking at lava, it was obvious.

Link is the same as before.

And now for another minor update:

• Using the malison scroll more than once on an enemy should no longer cause multiple overlapping curse effects.[/list]

As for the progress, I'm roughly 1/2 or 1/3 of the way done with the Forge, which isn't going to be a very large map compared to some of the others in the hub. After that's done, there's just one map left to go.

I have decided to change the sapphire wand to the way it originally was, which is to pierce through enemies. It does roughly the same damage as before. I forgot why I made it like I did in the first place, it was so long ago. Anyway, here you go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kj72d0yosmwrv3/cg3_ch2.pk3?dl=0

Now as for progress...I am just about done with the Forge, and I had a lot more fun making it than I thought I would, though I was hoping to finish it sooner. I was able to try out all sorts of weird and interesting ideas. Anyway, once the testing and polishing is done (which shouldn't take long), that leaves just one last map to go for the hub.

it wont run when i load it in the latest version of GZDoom, do i need a older version? do i use the version listed in the very first comment? 

its an old comment so im double thinking myself

50 minutes ago, Deathclaw886 said:

it wont run when i load it in the latest version of GZDoom, do i need a older version?

I'm using the latest version too and it runs perfectly fine for me.

By the way, played Hexen a while back but never got to enjoy it because the level design of the IWAD is so clunky (so didn't get to appreciate the gameplay either), but playing this now (as mage on archmage difficulty) makes me realize why so many people love this game :D

33 minutes ago, MattFright said:

I'm using the latest version too and it runs perfectly fine for me.

By the way, played Hexen a while back but never got to enjoy it because the level design of the IWAD is so clunky (so didn't get to appreciate the gameplay either), but playing this now (as mage on archmage difficulty) makes me realize why so many people love this game :D

i guess its my "Extra Starchy Potato" again.....

And now the third hub is done. I'm confident that there shouldn't be any bugs, game breaking or otherwise.

Now then, on to hub 4.

Mega

Dropbox

Minor update:

• Added a bit more mana and changed a little bit of text for the last battle.

This shouldn't affect your savegame unless you've already made it as far as the last map. Updated links in first post.

So the hub is done now? Why yes, it's a good time since I wanted more variety and there hasn't been much movement in the realm of Chronos lately.

Does warping break anything? Would rather just get to the new hub maps. Where does it start?

41 minutes ago, seed said:

So the hub is done now? Why yes, it's a good time since I wanted more variety and there hasn't been much movement in the realm of Chronos lately.

Does warping break anything? Would rather just get to the new hub maps. Where does it start?

1. Even though it uses Hexen, it's not Cronos. Since this is a sequel to ichor.wad for Heretic, it's set on the same world, and the time is set several years after Heretic 2 (and 7 years after ichor.wad), but before Hexen.

2. No. In fact, I accounted for that, so if you want to warp to the next hub, there will be things that appear that otherwise wouldn't if you went through normally.

3. The maps all follow the same setup as in Hexen. Map 1 starts hub 1, map7 starts hub 2, and map 13 starts hub 3.

4. Today, you're not in the best mood.

Alright, then I guess I'll play this next instead, skillsaw can wait a bit more, yay 🦊.

• Further adjusted the final battle.
  • Fixed a minor graphical glitch in the Forge.

Updated link.

This should hopefully be the last update for a while.

• Fixed a bug where the final boss would start attacking too early.
  • All other monsters will now die as soon as that battle is over.[/list]

Unfortunately, this will clobber your savegames, but if you're in the middle of a game and don't want to use this update, just don't shoot at the boss until the battle starts.

For the time being, I'll keep both links available.

I wanna try it, but may I ask for some recommended settings about: sector light, keybindings.
I played Hexen a long while ago, if there's something more let me know. 

Not sure about sector light, but as for key bindings, I tend to stick with the original Hexen keys for the most part (i.e. 0 for flechette, or potion of freezing in this case), but there is a menu to bind keys to certain items. Also, it's recommended, but not required, to have dynamic lights on.

Due to an oversight somewhere, the wraithverge alt-fire (the ghosts) was not increased to match the health of most of the enemies, so it ended up being relatively weak. That has been fixed now.

The king is back in business indeed, there's lots of new additions this time around, I'm loving the new hub. But goodness the non-boss Fighter is pretty OP lol, did you really need to give him the Heretic claw of all things? Guy's a pretty crazy sniper with it sometimes.

But that aside, like I mentioned in the video, would you consider adding Reaper's Hexen palette? IMO ZDoom wads could really use more custom palettes like high quality Boom/MBF wads typically do, it gets... a little monotonous to see most of the same colors most of the time.

Now the actual gameplay 🦊https://www.twitch.tv/videos/941736470

Good job, even on the third skill you've Hurt Me Plenty man, heh.

2 hours ago, seed said:

The king is back in business indeed, there's lots of new additions this time around, I'm loving the new hub. But goodness the non-boss Fighter is pretty OP lol, did you really need to give him the Heretic claw of all things? Guy's a pretty crazy sniper with it sometimes.

But that aside, like I mentioned in the video, would you consider adding Reaper's Hexen palette? IMO ZDoom wads could really use more custom palettes like high quality Boom/MBF wads typically do, it gets... a little monotonous to see most of the same colors most of the time.

Now the actual gameplay 🦊https://www.twitch.tv/videos/941736470

Good job, even on the third skill you've Hurt Me Plenty man, heh.

Hmm...you're not the first person to mention that cistern battle. I have looked at it in the past and I think I will tone it down a little. As for the darkness, it will brighten up after you find the part and put it back there.