Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Doom 64 bind to stick

On the N64 itself, no, I don't believe so.
On an emulator, yes, if you redefine the controls.

On the N64, I personally prefer a control scheme with the C-buttons working like WASD on a keyboard and the analog stick for aiming (like in Turok), so you could try that if you haven't already.

I'm using an emulator. But I know in Goldeneye you have that stupid aim reticule that aims with the left stick so if you split the sticks it makes that a lot harder. Is there anything like that in Doom 64?

If you're trying to set it to feel more like a modern console shooter, try using the controller in "left handed" position, with your left hand on the D-pad and your right hand on the thumbstick. The D-pad can be set to strafe, if I recall, leaving the stick for turning (and also analog movement; I don't recall if you can "no-vert" it).

On the N64 itself, there's no way within the game to 'no-vert' the stick, but yeah, using the D-pad (or C-buttons like I mentioned) for movement and the stick primarily for left-right turning is about the best way if you can get used to the fact that the stick still moves you forward / backward. (I actually modded an old N64 controller specifically to induce the 'no-vert' effect, but it wasn't worth the time it took swapping it in and out.)

Anyway, sorry to ramble, but I guess it also depends on what emulator you're using, and what you're using for a controller. With Project64 at least, I use N-Rage's input plugin to map the N64 controller buttons / analog stick actions to a wired XBox 360 controller, or to keyboard + mouse, with nice results.

Since the plugin lets you define the control stick axes, you could use that to map another button to your real controller's left and right directions, or you could clear the up / down directions completely from the stick to allow a 'no-vert' option.

Of course, PJ64 only runs on Windows, I don't know if N-Rage's plugin works with other emulators, and I don't know if it works at all if you are using an actual N64 controller via an adaptoid or something. So I guess that might not apply to your situation.

I've always just found it easiest to use the d-pad for walking forward and backward and turning, and L and R for strafing. Not only is trying to do a dual-analog setup not very practical on an N64 controller, DOOM doesn't even have freelook, so you don't need it.

Mithran Denizen said:

On the N64 itself, there's no way within the game to 'no-vert' the stick, but yeah, using the D-pad (or C-buttons like I mentioned) for movement and the stick primarily for left-right turning is about the best way if you can get used to the fact that the stick still moves you forward / backward. (I actually modded an old N64 controller specifically to induce the 'no-vert' effect, but it wasn't worth the time it took swapping it in and out.)

Anyway, sorry to ramble, but I guess it also depends on what emulator you're using, and what you're using for a controller. With Project64 at least, I use N-Rage's input plugin to map the N64 controller buttons / analog stick actions to a wired XBox 360 controller, or to keyboard + mouse, with nice results.

Since the plugin lets you define the control stick axes, you could use that to map another button to your real controller's left and right directions, or you could clear the up / down directions completely from the stick to allow a 'no-vert' option.

Of course, PJ64 only runs on Windows, I don't know if N-Rage's plugin works with other emulators, and I don't know if it works at all if you are using an actual N64 controller via an adaptoid or something. So I guess that might not apply to your situation.

I did this. Still don't know what to do about Goldeneye, though.

I have worked out several mappings that work for Goldeneye / Perfect Dark (at least for me). You just have to make sure to set the control scheme to 1.2 Solitaire in-game, and you have to work out something for the control stick in the modifiers/macros section of the N-Rage input plugin to make it work when you use the fine aiming, and if you are using a mouse.

It took me a while of experimentation to get it usable, but the configs I have now are actually a lot easier to play with than on the real hardware with a real controller.

If you want, I can post my config files, or explain how I set it up so that the mouse aims properly.

You can get true dual analog in GoldenEye and Perfect Dark single player by binding the controls to two controllers and using one of the 2.X control schemes in-game.

Dragonsbrethren said:

You can get true dual analog in GoldenEye and Perfect Dark single player by binding the controls to two controllers and using one of the 2.X control schemes in-game.

Yeah, I was going to point that out myself actually. It's a pretty cool little feature. I actually prefer to just map the C-Buttons to the left control stick axes though, as it gives better acceleration for speedrunning.

Anyway, I uploaded the configs and my idiotic musings here.

Hopefully it'll work for you. The most elusive part was that I had to set up the modifier to change to absolute mouse movement when you're fine-aiming, but aside from that, it's all pretty simple.

Awesome, thanks. The mouse won't move when I'm in aim mode, though.

edit: I seem to have remedied this by switching the aiming from "Hold" to "Toggle"

and heh, I dont think that absolute thing is working for some reason :P

okay looking at your modification i think it wont work because im not using "hold" lol, but I cant use "hold" for some reason

You mean you prefer to play with the 'toggle' aim mode in-game, instead of 'hold', or do you mean that the 'hold' mode doesn't actually work? Here's how everything looks on my system, with the stuff that's circled in green being the specific parts that are important.

If you do prefer using the 'toggle' mode, then you'll have to change the left 'toggle' checkbox (circled in the third shot) on BOTH modifiers, and make sure to hit the 'apply changes' button.

If the absolute mouse mode doesn't seem to work, make sure that the Absolute X / Absolute Y settings are unchecked in the devices tab, and that the Mouse: Switch X-Mode / Mouse: Switch Y-Mode settings are checked in the modifier as shown above in the third shot.

If it still seems wonky, try deleting both modifiers, and then using the fine-aim mode in the game to see if it's the same as it was with them enabled. (With the absolute mode modifier, the cursor should remain in place when you stop moving the mouse; without the modifier, the cursor will constantly drift back to the centre of the screen unless you are pushing the mouse in a different direction.)

Also, the various sensitivity settings I used are with my shitty mouse in mind, so you might need to lower some of them for the aiming to be comfortable. If you just want the fine-aim ot be more controllable, you might try lowering the percentages on the second modifier, but if the mouse is too twitchy in general, try lowering the sensitivity on the devices tab, or slightly reducing the analog stick range in the controls tab.

Sorry for the rambling again, hopefully you can get something useful out of it. :P

Alright fixed:
Switch X and Y mode under modifiers were not checked.
The parameter for the 'Move' modifier was X:0% / Y:0%
There were also a couple extra modifiers that I don't think did anything, it works with them there so that wasn't the problem.

Thanks for being so thorough!

No problem, glad to be of service.

I downloaded the .zip that I posted and the configs worked as expected on a clean install of PJ64, so I'm not sure what happened. Probably different plugin versions or some kind of system issue.

Either way, I added most of the info in this thread to the .zip itself and updated it, in case tinypic deletes the screenshots and what-not.

Why would you use an emulator for Doom 64 with Doom 64 EX available?

Personally, having been playing the game lately on an actual 64, I like control preset 3.