Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

~/doom/wads/Naughtz$ prboom -iwad /usr/local/share/games/doom/doom.wad -file Naughtz.wad -warp 2 1

prboom v2.5.0 (http://prboom.sourceforge.net/)
I_SetAffinityMask: manual affinity mask is 1
M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
 default file: /home/me/.prboom/prboom.cfg
 found /usr/local/share/games/doom/doom.wad
IWAD found: /usr/local/share/games/doom/doom.wad
PrBoom (built Jul 15 2009), playing: DOOM Registered
PrBoom is released under the GNU General Public license v2.0.
You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
It comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. See the file COPYING for details.
V_Init: allocate screens.
 found /usr/local/share/games/doom/prboom.wad
D_InitNetGame: Checking for network game.
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
 adding /usr/local/share/games/doom/doom.wad
 adding /usr/local/share/games/doom/prboom.wad
 adding Naughtz.wad
W_InitCache

M_Init: Init miscellaneous info.
R_Init: Init DOOM refresh daemon -
R_LoadTrigTables: Endianness...ok.
R_InitData: Textures
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 0 in texture AASHITTY
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 1 in texture ASHWALL2
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 2 in texture ASHWALL3
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 3 in texture ASHWALL4
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 4 in texture ASHWALL6
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 5 in texture ASHWALL7
. . .(goes on for hundreds of lines). . .
R_InitTextures: 346 errors

Hi! Wall of text to follow. ;)

To start, it's best to mention what source port your wad is made for (examples being Zdoom, Eternity or the "vanilla" engine). I've downloaded and had a play of your map using Zdoom.

With gameplay, it's clear you've got a sense of trying to get in the players mind and keep them guessing. The traps were quite nice, and running to a much needed medkit seen in the distance only to be ambushed by the sides never gets old. :) A big problem with the gameplay, however, was the flow. Because your level consists mostly of small square rooms or corridors linked with doors, the player is constantly stopping to open a door, confronted by a threat, and then moving to the next door which gets a little boring. Having larger rooms with monsters on different height levels in the distance throwing fireballs while having to fight pinkies or lost souls at the same time adds more dynamic and challenge to the gameplay. I also think that you should wait on using extra third party monsters when you're still a little new to balancing and getting the feel for how to create an exciting fight. But you do have a lot of the basics down nicely, so continue to focus on improving what you're already doing. :)

Now, the architecture. I like that you haven't just got a linear corridor here but are trying to have different ways around the place. Though as I said earlier, you're using a lot of square rooms and corridors. Try and experiment with some different shapes like curves or interesting and bold areas with strong landmarks. Support beams, walls with things going over or monsters on them, bars that block access to things all help to make an area stand out. A little difficult to suggest how to improve without telling you what to do exactly heh, but perhaps try looking around in the Real World and seeing how buildings are constructed and connected together. Large shopping centers are a good example, at least the ones I've visited, where there is usually a lot of architecture designed to look appealing to people as they walk around (rather than a bland office building for instance).

Texturing goes hand in hand with architecture (which goes with gameplay). Remember that your goal with texturing is to get the wall paint to fit cohesively with your architecture, which can be pretty damn difficult (I struggled for years before I felt comfortable). Again, trying to picture your level as some sort of tangible place rather than a doom map might help here. I also think that custom textures at your experience level would be more difficult to get accustomed to as there are many many examples of the original textures being used very well out there that you can study.

I hope that this isn't too much feedback to digest, and that you continue to refine and improve. :)

EDIT: sparerib1968, it's a Zdoom wad so not going to work with prboom.

Hey thanks so much for the feedback, i really appreciate it,

Yeah sorry about spamming new monsters and textures etc., I don't usually but i wanted to try and make it more interesting,

Lol, i found it funny that as soon as you mentioned the Real world i started looking for somewhere to download this so called Real World lol, i need a break from doom

Anyway have you got a link to any of your wads?

Im really seeking inspiration from other maps atm as there's only so long i can play and play and play Knee-Deep trying to realise why it's so magical.

P.s Sorry for the incompatibility with prboom, the whole process of making this map was a bit accidental

Actually, there are a couple of wads called Real World - good ones too.

Real World
Real World 2

But I doubt that's what he meant, as I don't recall large shopping centres, etc.

If you want to find wads that look more like real places, then you could try TVR, or perhaps some of those suggested in this thread.

Play it on UV on Skulltag and for your first attempt(is it?) its half decent, half dull. For one thing its mostly a maze with little architecture along with ok placed decorate monsters(that one Deathknight took me by surprise) and a 2nd pistol thats pretty much useless. Theres also a lot of misalign textures including this one as an example:

My advice: start with vanilla/boom mapping with stock textures and monsters just to get the hang of mapping and I think you'll do find.
Anyway, hope this feedback sounds helpful.

Btw, what texture pack you were using cause I'm not familiar with it.

Architecture is a bit repetitive.
Some texture misalignments.
HOM by the stairs to the blue key.

Nice textures.
Well thought out.
Good enemy locations.

For a first map it is not bad at all. T'was fun to play.
Keep up the good work.

Kappes Buur said:

Architecture is a bit repetitive.
Some texture misalignments.
HOM by the stairs to the blue key.

Nice textures.
Well thought out.
Good enemy locations.

For a first map it is not bad at all. T'was fun to play.
Keep up the good work.

Thanks man, appreciate it, crap completely forgot about putting textures on the rising stair bit, thanks for letting me know.

Also, just completed a second map - http://www.mediafire.com/?x2fza9b8o74zv8d

I'm pumping them out right now, that's what being unemployed does to you