Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Alphawolf

High Quality Skys

I've been adding custom skies in no problem at teh standard 256x128 size. Yet I have tried to get a larger quality image to be rendered and am just getting stretching to the standard resolution for the sky.

How might I get a high quality sky?

PS. So far I imported as the full HQ image, as both a PNG and then RAW data yet there is no change.

Thanks for help.

Thanks that worked for adding length, quality is still the same though, and vertical resolution remains. If Doom doesn't support the new height or width for that matter, I'm wondering if Zdoom has a special feature for this.

Ay I know, I've done that so far already. I have my sky yet it renders at only the resolution set, its a full 1200x400 something image yet doesn't render it.

Do you know of anyway it can be rendered at the full resolution DRM?

Thanks for your feedback it is appreciated.

I think you need to put hi-res version between HI_START and HI_END markers. You should add the low-res version as well, for ports that don't support hi-res textures.

It didn't work thanks though. I have found a way around it, placing a skybox at a specific distance to render the whole image and then making the skybox a circular dome (with slopes) alligning the image so it looks like the sky is HI-DEF

I am still unsatisfied with this and would appreciate any more info anyone has to add :)

Alphawolf said:

It didn't work thanks though.

Works for me with OpenGL rendering in PrBoom+ and GZDoom. Apparently it was changed for software rendering - I think it used to work.

For completeness' sake: Eternity also has skybox portals. So basically you can have a simple textured box or more complicated architecture act as your sky. Personally I found sky cylinders work best (due to the uneven wall lightning Doom has).

As for the actual textures: this should get you started.

Mordeth said:

For completeness' sake: Eternity also has skybox portals. So basically you can have a simple textured box or more complicated architecture act as your sky. Personally I found sky cylinders work best (due to the uneven wall lightning Doom has).

As for the actual textures: this should get you started.

It would be nice to have that rendered as a sky in gzdoom. If there was once compatability for HQ skies why has it been removed?

I really would like to solve this.

The image is 1640x794

In the wad this is its position:

HI_START
DOOMSKY
HI-END

It is also in the texture and patches under the same name. According to some this is correct for the sky to be rendered but this is false.

In the game the sky is rendered veritcally STRETCHED and where the resolution reaches over 128 it begins to produce a domed hall of mirrors effect.

Please help.

EDIT: I have taken the liberty of videoing the effect in action, it is renderered fully after all, just only zoomed in at 256x128

Here is the clip.

HQ Sky stretch

Um. I have no idea. Works for me in recent GZDoom and PrBoom+ builds (with OpenGL rendering).
Here's a test wad. Does it work for you? (Just load it (w/out other pwads) and go to map01. I recommend testing it with tnt.wad bc it has 360 degrees sky1, but doom2.wad will also work, just will look stupid as it's horizontally squashed)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/onhml3

Alphawolf said:

The image is 1640x794

Odd dimensions. Powers of two are generally preferable. Try scaling it down to 1024x512, or up to 2048x1024.

Alphawolf said:

In the wad this is its position:

HI_START
DOOMSKY
HI-END

Should be HI_END, not HI-END.

And actually, using the hires namespace is useless if you don't have a texture with the same name and the intended dimensions in the normal namespace.

Alphawolf said:

It is also in the texture and patches under the same name.

The same image?

Alphawolf said:

In the game the sky is rendered veritcally STRETCHED and where the resolution reaches over 128 it begins to produce a domed hall of mirrors effect.

GZDoom does not stretch skies.