Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technician

Possible Doom Movie Reboot in 3D

3D?

Instant fail. Although I sorta get the idea of "Hey, Doom was a pioneering 3D game, so why not make it a pioneering 3D movie?"
Not that that idea works.

Ultraboy94 said:

3D?

Instant fail.

Unless it's based on a column-based renderer with 256 color and palette-based lighting ;-)

Has some kind of law been passed that every movie has to be given a so-called "reboot" (because calling it a remake just ain't cool enough any more) and is there a second law that every movie made must be in frikken 3D?

Oh well, if they do "reboot" the Doom movie, here's hoping that they make one that actually is, you know, about the same stuff as Doom and not just a space-horror with a passing resemblance to Doom3. 24th Chromosome pseudo-science indeed. Just open a portal to hell dammit! ;)

This is gonna be a disaster if if kicks off..

They should learn by their previous efforts of the bomb that was the first movie.

The Doom film wasn't quite *that* terrible, and actually probably one of the best video game-to-film translations (not that it's saying much...). I wouldn't be too surprised still that The Rock wants to distance himself from it, but completely forget? I suspect some wishful thinking on the reporter's side, and attributing an opinion that afaik was never stated :P

Still, I'd love a movie that was truer to the game. Forget about believability or realism, let's have bright red floating cacodemons already! And yes, let's hope the film is available in plain old 2D. I can't focus on "3D" movies, and I don't have any real life depth perception issues :/

Captain Toenail said:

3D gives me a splitting headache.

That's a common problem and one of the reasons why it's recommended you don't use the current generation 3D headsets for more than about 15 minutes at a time without giving your eyes a rest - great way to breakup a movie's continuity.

As for the movie - I expect they'll make good use of the tired old "monster appears from nowhere and lunges at camera" cliche that was a hallmark of 3D horror movies from the 50s.

If they're going to go through with making another DOOM movie, I am pretty sure it will include actual demons this time..I mean the main reason the 2005 film was a disappointment because it didn't have them, and you can't have a DOOM movie that's any good without the forces of evil. And more shotgun please. I myself am excited, hope they can get it right this time.

The only way this is going to be good is if they adhere to the original story- which they won't. Don't get your hopes up, folks.

It's going to suck.
The question is how much it'll suck.
I just hope Uwe Boll doesn't join in.

Enjay said:

Has some kind of law been passed that every movie has to be given a so-called "reboot" (because calling it a remake just ain't cool enough any more) and is there a second law that every movie made must be in frikken 3D?

Well, in this case, this is a (potential) series that desperately, desperately needs a reboot. The only way there's even a chance for a new DOOM movie to be palatable is if everything about the original is immediately forgotten.

What a waste. My left eye doesn't see nearly as well as my right, so all 3D depth-perception effects in movies and TV stuff tend to be lost for me, leaving me with only the side effects (especially those "shutter" glasses they like using nowadays - I tried one of those Sony 3DTVs at Sears a couple weeks ago and id didn't work for me at all.)

Interesting comments on 3D. I too get really nasty headaches with 3D movies and the vision in my son's left eye isn't as good as the vision in his right so he can't see the effects properly. Coupled with the fact that, even when wearing the glasses and having good eyesight, the picture isn't as good, I wonder who the hell it is that is convincing Hollywood that the only commercially viable route is 3D?

Personally, I hope it's just a fad like it was in the 1950s and the 1980s.

I think the 3D craze of the recent years grew out of the successful outcome of Avatar. I could be wrong... but the amount of movies released in 3D in a certain span of years before Avatar, compared to after, is much less.

As far as this new Doom movie goes, I don't know what to say. I think so little about it other than probably being as bad as the 2005 film.

I don't really see theaters eliminating 2D movie viewings altogether. After all, 3D can easily be seen in 2D by just showing one of the 2 views. And seeing it in 2D is always cheaper, as far as I know, so I only see it being a problem if somehow 2D ticket prices also go up because of increased expenses or something.

http://www.whatsplaying.com.au/2011/03/hollywood-insider-doom-you-hollywood/

So it would appear that Universal wants to do another Doom-based movie. If the information in the article is correct, it would be a reboot rather than a sequel, which the fan in me can only hope means the new one will have actual demons in it.

Part of me is excited, of course. The thought of seeing Doom on a big screen (hopefully done better this time around) makes me all giddy inside. But the other part of me is extremely skeptical, especially with the crap Hollywood throws around these days, and given how the first film turned out.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Mr. Freeze said:

The only way this is going to be good is if they adhere to the original story- which they won't. Don't get your hopes up, folks.

The original story has no more than two paragraphs in the booklet. The main protagonist is unnamed and never speaks a word, spending the entire game alone.

Some type of straight game to movie script would be atrocious. The first Doom movie was a decent ride anyway. A dude swung a computer monitor around like a mace and busted up a hell knight with it, much better than anything you can do in the games.

I didnt think the original Doom movie was so bad, although it didnt really have much to do with Doom, hopefully this time they'll get it right and at least have proper demons (or at the very least aliens) rather than some weird mutation thing. And 3D is the way forward

Marnetmar said:

This is going to suck. End of discussion.

You know what pisses me off most is the fact that I'm already quite sure they're going to fuck with the premise just the way they did with the first movie. The entire reasoning behind making a "3D reboot" of Doom is "3D movies maek teh moniez" so I doubt much attention will be paid to upping the quality of the film's content (not that there ever was much quality to begin with) and most attention will just go to lots of 3D shots over the barrel of a gun.

This could be the shittiest movie ever made, but if it has Hell in it, it will more than make up for the sins of the first one

I actually thought that the first movie was watchable enough. It wasn't great but it was an OK sci-fi action monster movie. It's just that it was supposed to be Doom and it had visual similarities to Doom(3) yet, disappointingly, story wise it almost completely ignored the main core element of the Doom story - Hell invasion!

Here are the two reasons you won't see a DOOM movie with the full bevy of Satanic imagery and "Welcome to Hell" storyline:

• Fundies and their stupid protests
  • Probability of missing the oh-so-lucrative PG-13 market