Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

American McGee's Alice

Who thought this game would be such a rarity?

My girlfriend was excited by the release of the new game Alice: Madness Returns, so I informed her of the original game. I checked to see if it was for sale, so I checked Amazon to spend the last of my Christmas gift cards. $50 used? $500 new? There has to be an easier way to get a hold of this game.

I bought the game for around fifteen dollars new long after it was released. It was in a singular sealed jewelcase new with the gore on the cover censored.

The game is not worth fifty bucks, though yes, it is a great game.

Also, I had no idea Alice: Madness Returns was released.

Bucket said:

Who thought this game would be such a rarity?

My girlfriend was excited by the release of the new game Alice: Madness Returns, so I informed her of the original game. I checked to see if it was for sale, so I checked Amazon to spend the last of my Christmas gift cards. $50 used? $500 new? There has to be an easier way to get a hold of this game.

Pray to Don Juarez? :P Dunno. Maybe check those online services everybody raves about so much, assuming you haven't already. Though since the game was developed by Rogue Entertainment, it may very well be in the same kind of situation as Strife is - nobody to give permission for distribution >_>

That they are, if the madness continues my $10 re-release copy could become my pension fund.

I got a copy when Sold-Out Software released it. Presumably in 2005, and presumably for £4.99. But even that doesn't seem to be available any more, with second-hand copies not so cheap:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sold-Out-Software-American-McGees/dp/B0009J1JJ8/?qid=1299710637

But still a little cheaper than the ones on amazon.com. But whether they'll ship to you for a reasonable price, I don't know.

If you want to get a taste of the game, then the speedrun videos here might fit the bill.

Technician said:

Also, I had no idea Alice: Madness Returns was released.

No it isn't released yet, it comes out during June 14 although it's possible that they might push it back but I doubt it.

also....

I only ever played the demo of McGee's Alice and I loved it alot, unfortunately the full version never came out in South Africa. I was thinking of changing that until I saw this topic.

Technician said:

Jesus, even on eBay they are selling for ludicrous prices.

Trust me, Ebay is the worst with rare items.

DeathevokatioN said:

I only ever played the demo of McGee's Alice and I loved it alot.

Quasar said:

Though since the game was developed by Rogue Entertainment, it may very well be in the same kind of situation as Strife is - nobody to give permission for distribution >_>

EA owns the rights to Alice. The only reason Alice: Madness Returns is in development is because they greenlit it.

There was an interview with American McGee about the new Alice on Ars Technica where the question was asked of an Alice re-release on XBLA or Steam, and McGee was rather coy about it. The relevant bits are on the bottom of page 2, but it's quite possible we might see a re-release of the original game in some form to coincide with the release of Madness Returns.

As for the original game, I really enjoyed it. It's very similar to Psychonauts in the sense that it's more about style over substance. The basic gameplay in Alice wasn't great but the excellent level design and atmosphere more than made up for it. I'm really excited for Madness Returns because it seems to be staying true to the spirit of original while having improved gameplay. At the very least, it's shaping up to be a pretty looking game.

I don't really get the interest in this game - the reviews from back in the day were very mixed. Either people have forgotten about the gameplay or it's a bunch of fans of the Burton movie who were too young the first time around.

I actually own a copy that someone gave me as a present (I'm guessing they paid $2 for it). Seems I should look into selling it...

I didn't even realize there was a 2nd Alice game in the works from McGee. I thought he was still messing about with episodic whatever. This does look promising... tempted to play the first one again, which I thought was a fun game with very nice levels.