Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Megamur

Good image-hosting site for DW reviews?

I have submitted my first /newstuff Chronicles reviews and intend to keep doing so for the remainder of my natural existence. However, I don't want to have to keep bothering Bloodshedder by e-mailing screenshots for every review I make. So, does anyone have any suggestions for a free image host that Doomworld wouldn't have any problem linking to?

Thank you!

ImageShack and Photobucket seem to be the two most popular. In any case It's probably Doomworld policy (and plain common sense) to host the images here instead of linking to another site that could vanish without warning or possibly replace linked images with some that aren't child-safe.

GreyGhost said:

ImageShack and Photobucket seem to be the two most popular. In any case It's probably Doomworld policy (and plain common sense) to host the images here instead of linking to another site that could vanish without warning or possibly replace linked images with some that aren't child-safe.

I wouldn't recommend imageshack, I've had tons of problems with it which is why I switched to imgur.

And I've had others say bad things about Photobucket too, so maybe imgur is the way to go. Or maybe I should just keep e-mailing pics to Bloodshedder like I was doing before. I just don't want to waste all of DW's server space with screenshots.

tinypic is the way to go. No messing around loading extra crap to 'find related pictures, check out this ad too!' Just the picture. Though it was kinda annoying for a week or so when it glitched and all the text turned german. Was a long time ago though.

E: apparently imgur does about the same thing, with less initial ads to mess through when posting stuff up. Interesting.

Megamur said:

Or maybe I should just keep e-mailing pics to Bloodshedder like I was doing before. I just don't want to waste all of DW's server space with screenshots.

All of the screenshots are downloaded to my computer and re-hosted on Doomworld, so you're worrying for no reason.

What I like:
Properly named files that aren't renamed when they're uploaded
Direct links to images, not having to click through 2 or 3 pages to get directly to the image
Reliability

Imageshack fits those criteria pretty well. Just be sure to directly link to the image and not the stupid viewing page.

I used Imageshack for every review I did. The site was unreliable somtimes, but at least it gave you a direct link to the picture once it was uploaded. If nothing else all you really need to do is find a site that lets you link to the picture directly (as opposed to a thumb or some embedded crap) and you'll be fine. [Bloodshedder basically told you this, I just wanted to throw this in :P ]

As long as I have some FTP space of my own, I will use it, as I always have. Beats any browser based "file sharing" solution by far and wide because...well....it's designed to transfer files, maybe?

I always figured that uploading the images to a hosting service would just create more trouble for Bloodshedder. When I write /newstuff reviews I email him the screenshots. The only tricky bit is thinking of something to put in the email's body which would otherwise be drearily empty.

Creaphis said:

I always figured that uploading the images to a hosting service would just create more trouble for Bloodshedder. When I write /newstuff reviews I email him the screenshots. The only tricky bit is thinking of something to put in the email's body which would otherwise be drearily empty.

Using wget to download all the images (assuming I am given direct links) is no more trouble than opening a ZIP file from my e-mail and extracting the images.

Imageshack used to be good, but they've been annoying recently. First hiding the direct links behind JavaScript (yeah, I use NoScript and only whitelist non-commercial sites I trust), then hiding them behind a "you must be logged in blah blah blah" barrier. Of course it's still possible to get it through other means (such as removing .th from the thumbnail link) but it's annoying and I am annoyed by their annoyance. There.

Surely it would be easy enough to add a image uploader onto the submission system.

But seeing as BS doesn't mind, and I have my own server I can use, it hardly matters to me.

Creaphis said:

The only tricky bit is thinking of something to put in the email's body which would otherwise be drearily empty.

A brief note to the effect that you stake your life on the attachment/s being malware-free should suffice. ;-)

Planky said:

Surely it would be easy enough to add a image uploader onto the submission system.

It's really easy when you only have to talk about someone else doing it and not have to do it yourself.

Planky said:

But seeing as BS doesn't mind, and I have my own server I can use, it hardly matters to me.

Really, if a person goes through all that trouble of writing a review (difficulty depends, some people just write it out straight away after just one play, I play it multiple times, bug hunt, then first type it in Microsoft Word, go over it, then submit.) then why can't they just spend 3 minuets turning on fraps or something, take a pic, upload and just paste the link. It would be worth some trouble to make a image uploader on the submission system.

Bloodshedder said:

Properly named files that aren't renamed when they're uploaded

This is exactly why I don't care for either imgur or tinypic. Kinda wish hashing the filename wasn't necessary...

'Course, there's always majhost. ;)

Bloodshedder said:

It's really easy when you only have to talk about someone else doing it and not have to do it yourself.

Yes it is. But Im not talking out of my ass, I know what it involves (having written my own php uploader) so :รพ