Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Technician

Computer Error/Possible Map Corruption/File Recovery

I've had the following error while using Doom builder three times in the past two days. error screen

This has only happened when I've launched 3D mode. I've backed up my wad last night with the intent of posting this error but ignorantly decided to map today anyway.

I've save compulsively so when the pc restarts I'm pretty much safe and can expect minimal loss, however, when opening the file in DB it can't find a map. I'm hoping one of the "backup files" the program writes may be of some use, I've never used them.

I've had an extremely productive day with my map so I really don't want to loose the data, but shit happens, I have a (dated) copy. I can also upload the wad if it's any help.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, but be gentle, I have a weak heart.

Since Windows uses the NT core, a blue screen of death (the screen your screenshot depicts) really only happens when you have a serious hardware or driver issue. Before continue to do any valueable work on that computer, you should get that fixed, or it is likely to happen again.

The backup files DB has written should be in the same directory where your WAD file is. They are named something like "mymap.wad.backup1". Simply rename the file and cut off the backup1 part to restore the backup.

Thanks a lot. I tried using an old crap wad with the same result. It's when I run 3D mode... It's almost like my computer forgets everything that it does at the moment of the death screen. It even sat my ZDoom config to default.

Luckily the backup file was the latest save, so I didn't loose anything.

A quick google search suggests that this DLL file is a part of some shoddy unsigned, unreviewed video driver. Are you running Windows on a Mac by some chance?

I ran Spybot with or course, newest updates and it didn't find any issues. I have the "prl_vadd.dll" for separate locations. It appears to be a Parallels (Parallels is a program I run Windows off of on my Mac) video display driver. The smart thing to do would be to download a legit file and replace all four of them, right?

EDIT: Looks like parallels is limited in it's 3D rendering, this may explain why I can't run Quake DarkPlaces properly. It just seems odd I'd have problems using 3D now when I've used many times before in the past without an issue.

I did a check on both, the AVG and Bitdefender websites, for a virus called prl_vadd.dll and there was no hit. So, it looks like that these instant spyware removers are mostly bogus, simply to relief you of some cash and possibly leaving a bigger mess behind.

Technician said:

The smart thing to do would be to download a legit file and replace all four of them, right?

I'm not familiar with anything related to a MAC. Does it not have something similar to Windows in the way of repairing a defunct install ?

Out of curiosity, other than this error (which can hopefully be looked into and fixed by the Parallels developers, if there's nothing that can be done on CodeImp's end), how have your experiences been using it to virtualize DB2 and other Doom tools? When I'm able to upgrade my computer, I'm considering ditching Windows and running OS X fulltime, with virtualization to handle Doom-related software.

esselfortium said:

Out of curiosity, other than this error (which can hopefully be looked into and fixed by the Parallels developers, if there's nothing that can be done on CodeImp's end), how have your experiences been using it to virtualize DB2 and other Doom tools? When I'm able to upgrade my computer, I'm considering ditching Windows and running OS X fulltime, with virtualization to handle Doom-related software.

This was the first issue I've ever had while using DB2 with Parallels. I've used Parallels for the last few years and it has ran Doom Builder and ZDoom perfectly. I really only use Windows for Doom.

I'm thinking of re-installing Mac OSX and using Boot Cap to avoid any further emulation issues and boot up Windows. Parallels is very convenient and I've really never had a serious issue.