Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Unholypimpin

Doom2 Meets Zdoom(d2mzd) WIP -- (a doom2 remake wad)-- 14 map demo release!

progress has been slow since i got my new computer, however i shall be picking up the pace very soon.

On the ligher side of things, map08 is finished and map06 is well on the way.

I shall be making a new gameplay video of the changes that have been made to the maps sometime this week.

Thanks for your support!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5y68AevKMA

heres a link to the new updated video of the first 5 maps

What level is pictured in the last screenshot? I'm guessing it's The Pit, but I'm probably wrong. Either way, it looks really impressive!

its actually a new hell map, it was going to be a secret map but it looks soo good i thought it would be a crime to have it as a secret map. I actually havnt added screenshots of The Pit yet.

holy shit i need to check the svn more often because i havnt even seen these maps yet.

Im lovin the screenshots man, keep up the fantastic work.

Im actually going to make alot of progress on map07 tonight.
Map07 will actually be 3 times bigger than it normally is, and it will be a hybrid between The PlayGround and DeadSimple.

So Expect alot of scripted events on map07.

Im really liking the progress thats going on here, i hope we get atleast 1 more mapper for this project so it doesnt end up taking years to complete.

Tango said:

i think the slopes have their own rough charm, personally. i like it.

Indeed, when used well.

This is all IMO, but to use the second and third shots (as of writting) at the top of this thread as an example.

I would say that the ceiling slopes in the second shot are a pretty good use of slopes, while the floor slopes in the third shot that replace Entryway's stairs are a bad use; they don't look functional or attractive.

ooo what a fantastic surprize!!

Im going to go try them out now, i cant wait =D

You have done a Great job on the detailing man, I salute you sir.

I also put this link on the first page.

Ya the city maps wont begin production till I get some more feedback on the demo.

But im happy you are enjoying the maps, and I hope others are too considering how much work Pottus and myself put into these maps.

Ya i didnt realize there were soo many glitches in the beta, sometime this week or next week ill upload a fix for all of the glitches.

Wow, I don't know how I missed seeing this when it was originally being posted, glad it got bumped.

From the screenshots and what I've played so far (I'm on MAP05 currently) I love this. It feels like KDIZD but with a bit more restraint, which is basically what I've wanted, even though I enjoyed KDIZD a lot.

Please don't stop working on this!

A few more comments now that I've finished playing the demo. I didn't really enjoy the new monsters--they didn't feel Doomy. If you wanted to you could use some other bestiary monsters, but unlike, say, KDIZD, I think Doom 2 already has enough variety in monsters that that's not necessary. Maybe for special boss fights.

I was also lukewarm about some of the changes to existing monsters. The triple-projectile Cacodemons were something I could deal with, but I didn't really like the Lost Souls or Spectres being on crack.

Map35 and 36, while beautiful, felt really out of place. I know they are meant as super secret type maps and aren't based on existing Doom 2 maps at all, but still, it felt like the mapping had gone away from just sprucing up the Doom 2 style. One of the things about Doom 2 is how abstract and varied its "hell" was and the sort of black and red gothic cathedral look feels like a whole different mapset.

Finally, a word about the advancedarmor powerup. It's neat to have, however, I noticed that when I picked it up, I didn't get the screen flashing red feedback when I took a hit. I assume this is because the armor was taking all of the damage and not touching my health, however, that's almost a drawback because without such an obvious cue I would often take multiple hits from an unseen enemy before I got clued in. I was wondering if there's a workaround that would let the screen still flash red.

Okay, so that's all the negative criticism. Now for what I loved about this, which is most of it. The mapping is top notch, and the intermission screens are cool without being annoying. I like that like KDIZD you're having the overt demonic corruption seep into the base levels right from the get-go. I can't wait to see what you do with the city levels, and with the Hell levels that are actually based off the id Hell levels.

On that note--I really hope this project is still moving along and doesn't die. I saw that there were several months between the last two updates, which is kind of worrying! Please keep posting progress reports.

The project is considered dead, however if people show enough interest in it then it can be revived.

*edit ok imma work on releasing a bug free demo and make some fixes to the already existing maps.

I might remove some of the new monsters and unedit existing ones.

Alwaysdoomed said:

The project is considered dead, however if people show enough interest in it then it can be revived.

I used to give up on project ideas when I thought people were(or even would be) uninterested, but after a while I came to realize that mapping with one's own goals in mind is the most important thing. If a product is quality, it will catch on eventually. Hell, I remember thinking no one cared about my latest project until I saw the download numbers on the demo... I say be patient and stick with it.

If you had killed the project due to a perceived lack of interest, that seems pretty silly. There's a 4 page thread here with lots of feedback, most of which seems extremely positive. If, on the other hand, you just aren't feeling the project anymore, then that's too bad for us but you shouldn't feel obligated to start it back up just to please other people.

I'm not exactly pleased with the project in its current state but I think it has a lot of potential. Perhaps you'd consider handing the project over to another group of people on doomworld if you genuinely want to abandon it?

Atm theres not much I can do with this wad since I cant edit the scripts from the pk3 file. It wasnt my idea to convert the wad into a pk3 since i really dont have experience with pk3s, but my friend said it would keep things more organized.

Until I can figure out how to edit the acs or get the latest maps with the editable scripts in them from my friend, I cannot even make bug fixes.

If anyone knows a way to reverse engineer compiled acs scripts then please let me know.

Bottom line is since I allowed my friend to handle the majority of the wad, I dont have any of the latest builds that are editable and atm im having a hard time contacting him =[

This project is not dead, it is just going through slow development as of late. We are still going for a full 32 map remake so for all of you that like this project just be patient.

Atm we are doing the city maps.

The reviews @ NewStuff rival that of wads such as CC4, Jenesis, Whispers of Satan, both of Valkiriforce (legendary mapper) etc. There is no reason (unless you have no interest anymore, have a mappers block, or are too busy) to cancel this project.

Pure Hellspawn said:

The reviews @ NewStuff rival that of wads such as CC4, Jenesis, Whispers of Satan, both of Valkiriforce (legendary mapper) etc. There is no reason (unless you have no interest anymore, have a mappers block, or are too busy) to cancel this project.

I agree Pure Hellspawn there is no reason to cancel, there is some flaws etc that need to be addressed but surely that will be no where near the task of building 34 maps (Planned Count). To me it's the most ambitious project I've ever worked on to get it all done would truly be a dream come true for me.

Agreed it was silly of me to cancel the project. Im soo glad you decided to join the team pottus because you have made this project pretty epic if i do say so myself.

Update!

Almost done with the layout of downtown, and once that is done the detailing shall commence!!