Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Strife editing with DB1 on Linux. Question.

Hello.

I have been lost for ideas completing maps recently and I have decided to create a Strife map which is working well, it will be a small map where you have to go and blow up a computer and I have put the computer quest item into my map and you shoot it and it blows up, but how do implement the item properly so that it will open a door or perform some action once it is destroyed?

Is it like the tag 666 in Doom or is it something different, which map # has this item in it that I could examine how it is set up, it is thing # 182.

neubejiita said:

#EDIT, the map will be running with Zdoom, using strife IWAD, can I use zwadconv to convert to zdoom format and use scripting?

And to think I almost bothered trying to explain how it works.

OK, So I might not make it with Zdoom mode, that was a strange thought of mine, but I found out that when the computer is destroyed it gives you a puzzle item, but what do you do after that, the Zdoom wiki laid out all of the items and what they do but I want to know how to use it in a map. I will download chocolate-strife and give that a go instead of testing the map with Zdoom.

I just need to know which map in the IWAD has that item in it, then I can reverse engineer the map and work out how it is implemented by myself. that would be a good way to learn Strife editing.

neubejiita said:

OK, So I might not make it with Zdoom mode, that was a strange thought of mine, but I found out that when the computer is destroyed it gives you a puzzle item, but what do you do after that, the Zdoom wiki laid out all of the items and what they do but I want to know how to use it in a map. I will download chocolate-strife and give that a go instead of testing the map with Zdoom.

I just need to know which map in the IWAD has that item in it, then I can reverse engineer the map and work out how it is implemented by myself. that would be a good way to learn Strife editing.

Basically, when the Computer object is destroyed, you are awarded the Quest 27 flag.

You can then use this number with line specials such as Door Open if Quest, Clear Forcefields if Quest, Voice & Objective lines, etc. However the method of using each one is different - some specify the Quest # in the line tag, and others place it in the texture y offset on the first sidedef - the latter is generally true for line types that have to specify a sector tag for something to affect.

Note that quest bit 27 is also, for some unknown reason, one of the two bits which affects which ending you get when you kill the Entity. You must have quests 25 AND 27 (25 is awarded for destroying the Converter in the Factory) in order to receive the ending where you get to smooch with Blackbird. Otherwise you get the "meh" ending. This behavior is hardcoded and cannot be changed.

It is, however, possible to change the quest # which is awarded for destroying the computer, as well as the message given when it's destroyed, by using SeHackEd. For the former, you change the speed value of the MT_COMPUTER object (which is thing type 124, with DoomEdNum 182) - you will see the default value is 27, which is the quest # awarded. To change the latter you must edit the "name" of the corresponding quest token object. The object that's ordinarily used is MT_SECRQUEST (thing type 338), as it is the 27th quest token object. Changing the speed of the Computer would change the object you need to edit the name of accordingly.

Quasar said:

It is, however, possible to change the quest # which is awarded for destroying the computer, as well as the message given when it's destroyed, by using SeHackEd. For the former, you change the speed value of the MT_COMPUTER object (which is thing type 124, with DoomEdNum 182) - you will see the default value is 27, which is the quest # awarded. To change the latter you must edit the "name" of the corresponding quest token object. The object that's ordinarily used is MT_SECRQUEST (thing type 338), as it is the 27th quest token object. Changing the speed of the Computer would change the object you need to edit the name of accordingly.

It should be noted that this does *NOT* work with ZDoom so if you go that route you'll have to provide a DECORATE alternative.

In short, I make no warranty that any of my editing advice with regard to Strife applies in any way to ZDoom.

Thanks for your help, I have downloaded chocolate-strife and I will be developing the map for that instead of Zdoom, I was only using that to run it in the meantime. Strife has some cool features like ambient sounds and shattering windows, and I thought why not.

Now I can try this and see what I can make out of it.