Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fatal error

What good Duke 3D mods do you know of?

For the last 7 or 8 months I have been playing Duke Nukem mods every now and again. To date the only real good one I have found is the Starship Troopers TC. What Duke mods do you think are good or worth playing, as I am having a hell of a time finding anything with real quality map design or replay value.

Zero Hour, PYP2000, Last Reaction(the first episode is ridiculous though), Murder:EDF conspiracy, The Gate, Extreme Justice, and Fusion.

Duke in Black is a good oldschool TC. Duke meets Doom is surreal, but not that great. Ages in Time is a crazy medieval TC. The Grins of Divinity demo had some great levels but it's pretty buggy. WGRealms is a good EDuke TC.

There's a couple good episodes too, like The final confrontation, and a whole bunch of usermaps for SSTTC.

I wish there were maps made for Duke Caribbean but sadly there's none so far, I'm tired of playing the base maps and want more in the same style.

RED -and Roch -series. decay.map and IMPERIAL.map are worth playing too.

I'm still working my way through the original campaign after buying the Megaton Edition. Its fun, because I remember nothing about the original Duke and it seems challenging and fun.

Attrition is pretty fun mod, if you get good mapsets coming.

Others I would like recommend: Duke Plus, HRP pack (if your machine can handle it) and Roch-maps.

While my brother always told me I loved Duke Nukem 3D as a child, and while I appreciate it's innovation in bringing FPS to a more versatile arena, what with the non-linear level design, interactive environments and volatile arsenal, it always grows dull after a while and never had the same immersion or gripping gameplay as Doom or Quake by comparison.

I think it's partly due to the awkward pace of the game which forces you to slow down at parts depending on what's around the corner along with random explosions.

I only could love the official expansions, that being Duke it Out in DC and Duke Carribean, let's not discuss how Wizardworks got away with Duke Zone II or Nuclear Winter, Duke Xtreme was a disappointment especially considering it was by Sunstorm Interactive.

However their was one awesome 15 map mod released last year which is deliberately based around thematically re-creating the original levels.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/metropolitan-mayhem

If you want good mods then i recommend you wgrealms 1 and 2, duke plus, attrition and the enhanced duke 64 mod.
Also the expansions and the Dnf 2013 mod.

I'm playing Duke 3D for the first time as an adult (I had played Duke GBA as an adult). I always liked the first episode as a teen.... wonder why, but the other episodes really had no interest for me. Now as an adult I think the entire game is good, but I think the third episode seems rushed. A few levels back to back are very brief. One level has me finding a keycard within a few seconds and that's a sure sign how quick a level is.

Now that I'm older, I think that I realize Duke is an actor. No this isn't a movie he's in, but he's an actor that due to shitty circumstances he now has to fight off mutants and aliens. He is on movie posters. Where are the men in the game? I think I know.... they were all killed or they're safe somewhere. Why are the women alive? Because men can't get pregnant.

Now that I'm almost through the original game again I think I've really enjoyed it. Can't wait to play the 3 expansions from the makers of the shitty Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter.

Captain Red said:

There's a Duke Nukem 64 TC that got finished somewhat recently. It seems good from how much I've played so far.

I just tried that recently and funny thing is it gave me more a reason to play DN3D again, the changes make me like the game a bit more.

I certainly like twin SMGs more than the old chaingun thing.

geo said:

Now that I'm older, I think that I realize Duke is an actor. <...> He is on movie posters.

He's a sort of a parody on an ultimate action hero. He's famous and popular in his own world, a perfect brand for merchandise. And of course movies are being made about his adventures.

Captain Red said:

There's a Duke Nukem 64 TC that got finished somewhat recently. It seems good from how much I've played so far.

Oh christ I've been watching that for years! So it finally got a release? xD

Da Werecat said:

I certainly like twin SMGs more than the old chaingun thing.

He's a sort of a parody on an ultimate action hero. He's famous and popular in his own world, a perfect brand for merchandise. And of course movies are being made about his adventures.

When I was a teen I thought that he was Dolph Lungren and movies were being made about his adventures. Since episode 3 could happen after episodes 1 and 2. Now I just think he's an actor before the invasion. Dolph Lungren.

I just completed Duke it out in DC. 4 level designers made that expansion. They should have called it Duke's Sexpansion pack. I really like the details they put into DC. Good expansion even if there were no new enemies or weapons.

Sorry about bumping an old thread but I don't check these forums often.

Avoozl said:

I wish there were maps made for Duke Caribbean but sadly there's none so far, I'm tired of playing the base maps and want more in the same style.

There is this : http://msdn.duke4.net/hotvcove.php
Both download links are dead though but this site has it download-able
http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/V/vacation/vacation.php

Bloodite Krypto said:
However their was one awesome 15 map mod released last year which is deliberately based around thematically re-creating the original levels.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/metropolitan-mayhem [/B]

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it!

Anyone here remember the TC called Vixens for Duke3D? You had to fight evil female aliens and other abominations. When I was 10/11 i loved that TC!

Doominator2 said:

Does the HI res pack count as a mod?

eeyup.

speaking of a good mod I've played, try blown fuses. It is a lot of fun. I don't wanna spoil anything, but it mixes classic duke FPS with some challenging puzzles. The pacing is great, it starts off with a few enemies and gets harder as you move through the map. The new soundtrack for the mod goes great with the map. Just try it, it's good.