Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
omegamer

Nostalgic Threesome 1 (unfinished 3-level WAD)

Hey guys,

You might know I´m worked on a classic episode 1 replacement called Nostalgic E1.
But now I ran out of ideas and I don´t want to make the whole episode look all the same.
So, I only finished 3 maps (E1M1-E1M3).
But I really wanted to share it with you.
This is my second released WAD ever, so don´t be to harsh!!!
I also didn´t do very much finetuning and the ending rooms of the third map are horrible.

FOR SCREENIES PLEASE VISIT THIS THREAD:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/52759-classic-e1-maps/

DOWNLOAD (Mediafire):
http://www.mediafire.com/?6xxu50540az5xlz

Also is anybody able to upload it to the idgames archives?
I have no experience with FTP file tranfering or whatever I have todo there!!!
Just PM me please!!!

I just played it, though I'm not good at giving feedback:

+ I've had fun playing these.
+ Nicely detailed.
+ The maps were non linear which I liked.
+ Music is good!
- Texture alignment especially when different textures near together, it is better to separate them by 24 long linedef with SUPPORT2 texture.
- Some lines used for DOORTRAK are not Lower Unp.
- The skull switch texture is never used for E1 even it is on a COMP texture. Also the switch face on the metal under the red key in E1M3.
- Some doors are high.

For uploading to /idgames I always use the DOS way, it works. Go and visit the giant red title at this forum.

I don't think theese levels really got me feeling nostalgic, but they did indeed entertain me. When I saw your old thread I noticed you got some very good feedback and tips on how to improve the levels, but I can't see that you paid any attention to the feedback.

I guess this is an old project of yours that you just wanted to share since you didn't have any inspiration to finish and I'm glad you did. Keep on mapping.

fun maps, pretty easy especially if you grab the goodies in the yellow door (I assume you do not intend for pistol starts because otherwise that shouldn't be at the end)

some comments:

M1:
- Light hallway was cool
- The biosuit secret didn't seem to have any purpose
- some open areas look underdetailed or awkward (maybe raise the ceiling?)

M2:
- Nukage secret should go off right away, you made the door at the end marked secret. Even if the player doesn't open the door they found the secret
- Inescapable pits are lame

M3:
-Unpegged lift in the same room as the weird ceiling that blocks you on one side but not on others. I think it should either block you or let you fall on all sides
- More pits

Yeah you had some inescapable pits, both intentional and not (there's this raised platform in m3 you can fall into the crack of and can't get out and it doesn't hurt you)

Also I was using the pistol a lot, which can be annoying against demons or lots of imps

You also had some switches that give no indication of what they did...I'm not even sure but I think the switch in m3 that lets out a bunch of demons and humans lowers the red key too. That was weird especially because it's not a functional trap (too slow)

dannebubinga said:

When I saw your old thread I noticed you got some very good feedback and tips on how to improve the levels, but I can't see that you paid any attention to the feedback.

Yeah I know, the problem was just on that point I already "finished" the project.
In future I will concentrate on single levels, before making a whole episode or megaWAD