Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ben2k9

Aliens Doom TC: Special Edition

Uh, just for the record, one of the deleted scenes from Aliens shows the Marines setting up the sentry guns, and the control panel for them has all sorts of different identification-friend-foe settings.

So yeah, I don't think any futuristic arms manufacturer worth its salt would design an automated gun that couldn't tell the difference between human troops and 7-foot-tall acid-bleeding eyeless space roaches.

aye, but they demonstrated the weapon by throwing a peice of metal infront of the gun and it blasted it too peices :)

KwadDamyj said:

So yeah, I don't think any futuristic arms manufacturer worth its salt would design an automated gun that couldn't tell the difference between human troops and 7-foot-tall acid-bleeding eyeless space roaches.

Actually, how do you design an IFF system to 1. distinguish between humans and not-yet-encountered lifeforms and 2. distinguish between hostile unknown lifeforms and harmless unknown lifeforms?

Now sure, if you do bring a living specimen of the acid-bleeding eyeless space roaches to the weapon engineers, they may research how to detect it and stuff. But more probably, given the way this kind of universe operates, you'll just bring back home a alien rampage disaster.

Gez said:

Actually, how do you design an IFF system to 1. distinguish between humans and not-yet-encountered lifeforms and 2. distinguish between hostile unknown lifeforms and harmless unknown lifeforms?

Considering that the only things living on LV-426 are humans and bloodthirsty xenomorphs, "shoot anything alive yet not human" would be an ideal setting.

Still need a full-fledged Turing-passing analytical IA embedded in the weapon in order to do so, as well as a broad array of sensors that need to detect not just movement and infrared (for temperature), but plenty of other things as well, not all of them being possible to guess in advance without knowing the details of exobiology.

Which is what I was hinting at. For example, how about robots? Should it shoot machinery? One of the crew members in the original Alien was an android. If it shoots moving machine, then won't it shoot human vehicles too? What is the appropriate size range, should it try to shoot mosquitoes? Including the one that has just landed on your head? How about exotic stuff, like a cloud of nanobots? Or a silicon-based lifeform?

I figure humans would carry around small radio-transceiver IFF "tags" on them that basically told the sentry guns "YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO SHOOT THIS".

Though yeah, thanks for reminding me of when they tested the guns by throwing a drum in front of them.

IIRC, the IFF only works if the turret detects a chip on the Marine's armor. Considering that the turrets are a pickup, it can be handwaved that your Marine doesn't have the chip, and thus is at the mercy of the turrets.

Ben2k9 said:

The sentry guns are supposed to attack you, they are a risky weapon to use. They target ANYTHING in their path (just like the movies)

But literally the very second you deploy it? You're nto given any chance to escape before it rips you to shreds.

I dunno about the other weapons, as I've not seen them yet (and don't gimmie no spoilers! :-O ), but I think the shotgun looks kinda cool:

I noticed what I think might be a problem, something maybe not intended...?:

I guess this is a shaft of light coming through a hole in the ceiling. You can shoot through it, just like light, and the bullet will leave its mark on the wall on the opposite side of the shaft of "light". However you can't walk through it. If you try, it's like trying to walk through a post, a small section of wall, ya know hehehe

That's found on the first map of the Aliens T.C. Special Edition.

ok, Im currently in the proccess of Rev 02 of this mod, gone is the aweful sky and clouds, ive added a proper LV426 BG, im fixing a few bugs as well, as for textures....should I replace them all with AvP ones? what are peoples feelings on this? is it right to change a fundemental design aspect like textures?

Also, ive done a music wad that ill post shortly

Ben2k9 said:

as for textures....should I replace them all with AvP ones? what are peoples feelings on this? is it right to change a fundemental design aspect like textures?

Absolutely. This is supposed to be a TC, after all. Plus, it would greatly enhance the Aliens feel to it. If the Aliens TC were made today, the author most likely would have had new textures in there, he probably only used the Doom resources because there really wasn't much else out there, and back then it would have been very difficult to make new textures.

KwadDamyj said:

I still sincerely hope you added proper IFF to the deployable turret.

Why? They didn't have that in the movie.

Ben2k9 said:

ok, Im currently in the proccess of Rev 02 of this mod, gone is the aweful sky and clouds,

I kinda liked the clouds, but whatever hehehe

ive added a proper LV426 [background]

Cool! I hope it's that one that that guy posted, or very much like it, but we'll see what it is anyway hehehe

as for textures....should I replace them all with AvP ones? what are peoples feelings on this? is it right to change a fundemental design aspect like textures?

I think not. It's supposed to be a redux of the famous Alien T.C., not an entirely new and different project. Keep it as much like the original as possible while revamping it as well. A good remake is both old AND new all at the same time. I say keep the old textures. Maybe improving them for use with today's stuff would be okay, if needed or good? But maybe they should still be recognizable as like the original game and stuff hehehe

HOWEVER as far as Alien vs. Predator textures, I'd say they could still be used, but in a separate mod, separate from this one, see.

Hey, maybe the main thing could be the more "pure" redux with the old textures and such, and then newer Alien vs. Predator stuff could be an addon to the main, eh? Then people could play either and both ways that way hehehe

But for the main TC, I say keep it with more like the original stuff that is being remade and (re-)released hehehe I mean I thought the project was--basically--getting ye olde Aliens T.C. to work well with like GZDoom and such, with some new tweaks added. So why not stick to that, all while creating some potential for futute addons in the same stroke. Nice, eh hehehe

new LV-426 background:

I'm also going to add chestburster enemies, im trying to play around with the textures but so far its proving difficult to match up existing ones with equivilant AVT textures...other bugs are being fixed such as freindly droneguns, slightly lower health on the warrior alien, and a few other issues

watch this space for a Predator class player as well ;)

EDIT: image now working

Ben2k9 said:

watch this space for a Predator class player as well ;)

That could be cool. I saw some predator sprites in the WAD and I was wondering if you were going to do something with them.

Mithran Denizen said:

That could be cool. I saw some predator sprites in the WAD and I was wondering if you were going to do something with them.

take it you havnt finished the game yet? ;)

No; after looking through the new graphics in SLADE3, I ran around the second map until I was slaughtered by a single xenomorph. I then NOCLIPped through the next three maps before quitting. :P I guess I'll have to take some time to see what other changes you've made in-game. ;)

Mithran Denizen said:

No; after looking through the new graphics in SLADE3, I ran around the second map until I was slaughtered by a single xenomorph. I then NOCLIPped through the next three maps before quitting. :P I guess I'll have to take some time to see what other changes you've made in-game. ;)

LOL! this is no run n gun game! its a survival horror fps, you need to take things sloooowly :P you should probibly wait for the next version though! ^_^

EDIT: background pic now working

update: some shots of the Predator class, its not totally done yet and i'll need help with the status bar cos i want the predator writing instead of the normal status bar

Predator Vision, only works with GZdoom

More Pred vision, complete with shoulder cannon (that zooms in and out)

Wristblades to the face xeno scum!

The SmartDisc, and yes, it does bounce and home and rip and you only have one and have to find it and pick it up again

Predator Combi Stick, sloooowww but powerful

Invisibility, there is penalties for using it such as it slows you down and some weapons dont work with it and disable it when fired.

New targeting reticule, for when zooming in with the plasmacaster

I've also developed an "honor" system where each kill is worth a set amount of points depending on what weapon you use to kill it with! Ill need a custom SBAR INFO to display the points though...

UPDATE: REV 03 of the mod is up, new stuff includes: New warrior and drone sprites, chestbursters!, aliens now spurt acid when they die and other additions!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/czpxjp

Level changes will come along gradually, as for speech, I've made the exectutive decision to leave it as a seperate pack, which will be done in due time

EDIT: small glitch noticed so reuploaded with a different link