Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Magnum Express

Converting .pk3's to WADs

I've been trying to make a Wolfenstein 3D/Spear of Destiny WAD by taking things from a Total Conversion .pk3, but I have failed miserably. I like to use WADs as resources more than .pk3's when using Doom Builder, but I don't know how to convert a .pk3 to a WAD. Please help.

The big difference in pk3 and wad files is the support for folders offered by the former. There is no easy way to simply "convert" a pk3 file to a wad file. The way to do it is to remove the lumps from their folders and place them directly into the wad. Here is a quick outline:

1. Open your wad file in a lump editor such as XWE, DeepSea, SlumpEd or Slade. If you don't have a wad file you're starting with, simply use one of those editors to create a new wad file.
2. Open the pk3 file in another window/instance of the editor.
3. Go into each folder of the pk3, copy the lumps, and paste them into your wad file.
4. In the case of textures, sprites, and flats you may need to use the relevant markers (e.g., S_START/S_END) in your wad file.

No, I was. Sorry.

You can use SLADE 3 to copy the content. Select everything, copy, then in your wad, paste. It will copy the content of the selected folders. However, you'll have to insert the markers yourself.

Okay, I went through the process again and got flats to appear in Doom Builder, but nothing else. Sprites will be easy to take care of, but I am going to need some outside help with the textures. What do I have to do to get the textures to appear in Doom Builder?

Maybe he forgot to convert the images to doom format??? Would that help?

In Slade 3 if I remember correctly when importing textures you must convert them to Doom format. Am I wrong?

Magnum Express said:

Okay, I went through the process again and got flats to appear in Doom Builder, but nothing else. Sprites will be easy to take care of, but I am going to need some outside help with the textures. What do I have to do to get the textures to appear in Doom Builder?

Remember that the graphic images in a wad/pk3 are only patches. They ought to be listed in a lump named PNAMES. These patches need to be assigned to textures using a TEXTUREx lump. For textures to be available in a map editor such as DB, the patches, PNAMES, and TEXTUREx must all be in your wad.

Gez said:

You forgot the Textures and HiRes namespaces.

Indeed, I did forget. [However, because Magnum Express didn't specify a source port, I was automatically thinking along the lines of lumps recognized by vanilla DooM.]

@Magnum Express, if your mod is for (G)ZDooM, you have the option of defining your regular textures (including multi-patch ones) via one or more TEXTURES lumps in your wad.

If you have high resolution graphics, you can put them between HI_START/HI_END markers in your wad.

Assuming you're using Slade3 - right-click on a patch and select Add to TEXTUREx from the GFx sub-menu. If the PNAMES and TEXTUREx lumps don't exist it's just a two step process to create them (three steps if you haven't setup base resource paths) and the pach will be automatically added to both lumps.

I know, I kind of found that out on my own. And this isn't my problem anymore, because now I can't get Doom Builder 2 to work (See my Doom Builder technical trouble thread).