Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Red

Best game engine

so what do you think is the Best game engine?
I personly think the Unreal's engine ownz, i mean unreals levels are massave! and thay look bloody great! when you leave the ship on the second level, it feels like you are starting out on a long jorny. the level desine was problby the best thing about the game. Also, i think the unreals engine is the only engine that could handle dooms maps in full 3d. quake/quake 2 can't. pluse they used the unreal engine for deus ex and duke nukem forever. (rember that game?) when i finshed unreal i thought "i want to make maps for this game" to bad the fucking editor won't work.

seconed best would be quake 3 I think.

you do you think?

Wrong, neither Unreal nor the Quake engines could do a Doom map properly... without some coding to get a Goddamn use button in there. That's just about the only hitch really, any of them could do it.

The best engine? That depends on what you're going for!

Fastest engine: Q3A
Largest levels: Unreal
Bigass levels with billions of enemies: The Serious Engine
Best tech support: Lithtech

I never give a damn about huge levels, in fact, I HATE huge levels where it takes an eternity to get from point a to point b.
I'd rather have decent, medium-sized levels with lots of opposition.
And you do know that Q3:TA supports large outdoor areas (though not to the same extent as Unreal), don't you?

Yeah I hear Q3:TA supports large levels. However, I absofuckinglutely hated Q3A so fucking much there's no way in hell I would ever pay for TA, which by all fucking logic should have been a FREE PATCH DOWNLOAD for Q3A.

That's one thing that really bothered me about Serious Sam.

1. Walk half a mile.

2. Kill 20,000 enemies. You couldn't possibly carry enough ammo, but that's cool, because backpacks full of it will be dropped randomly about.

3. See 1.

4. See 2. See 2. See 2. See 2.

5. Find a key.

6. See 1. See 1. See 2. See 1. See 2. See 1.

7. Use the key. Return to 1.

Yeah I hear Q3:TA supports large levels. However, I absofuckinglutely hated Q3A so fucking much there's no way in hell I would ever pay for TA, which by all fucking logic should have been a FREE PATCH DOWNLOAD for Q3A.

Agreed, but RtCW displays what the TA engine is capable of and while even the largest levels ain't as big as Unreal's or Serious Sam's, they are large enough to look realistic and good. Only level where I thought it had too much open space was the Airbase Assault map, other than that the maps were done well without too many miles to run to get to point B.

I only played the demo of Serious Sam, which was enough to tell me that this was definitely not a game for me.

No, the best engine is the "Doom 3" engine....ooops it ain't out yet. Well, best engine currently out there imo is the Q3A:TA engine (as long as it's used for good sp games like RtCW and MoH:AA).

1. Walk half a mile.

2. Kill 20,000 enemies. You couldn't possibly carry enough ammo, but that's cool, because backpacks full of it will be dropped randomly about.

3. See 1.

4. See 2. See 2. See 2. See 2.

5. Find a key.

6. See 1. See 1. See 2. See 1. See 2. See 1.

7. Use the key. Return to 1.

Call me stupid, but isnt doom exactly the same?

Doom's formula doesn't involve miles or thousands of enemies. It involves small to large areas that never force you to run straight in one direction for like two minutes (as Serious Sam does) and at most dozens of enemies, not thousands.

It's like Doom, but with a ton of boring ass walking and the same amount of enemies, but imagine like 5,000 Imps charging at you and backpacks of ammo strewn around. It's fucking lame.

Besides, Doom doesn't have such flat, boring desert maps as the first Serious Sam has and the monsters don't constantly teleport in all the time.

i agree with deadnail and dsm.Doom never force the player to only stay fighting in closed area.you can choose to run away for good strategic point,or staying there and keep firing plasma gun.Doom is about "staying alive" ,not mindlessly killing.

Q3:TA is by far the most versatile and fast. Unreal is second, sure, but their Nvidia support is pretty shallow. I mean, I used to have better framerates on Deus Ex with my Voodoo than with my Geforce2. How fucking lame is that?

It's hard to realize this engine is 3 years old, and it sports features like shaders that are only available in the latest Unreal Warfare build.

Unreal engine was optimized for 3dfx-glide.so the result is Unreal engine game's crappy FPS on the system without voodoo card.also the UT-build is claimed that it will be heavily relied on CPU more than 3d-card (it was written on UT box-"NO 3D accelerator card required")

i would have to say the best gaming engine would be the the quake/half-life hybrid engine. you can do lots of things with it, fairly easy. next i would have to say the doom engines and ports. no gameing engine has come close with the years of modifications and face lifts we have given this old game. i only wonder what the future brings for doom ports. it may seem that production is droping off but there have been some "dead points" in the past. i remember useing zdoom 1.16 back in the day. hell at that time there was little, if any, boom support and no z-clipping( walk over/under monsters) then the first GL doom port was out and soon after the md2 packs. now look at all the ports. i say these port makers should get together and make one huge master port

They could call this new uber-engine OGRE and it will be the best game engine ever made, or would be ifhte coders could put aside their diferences and work together. Unfortunately they all have their narrow idea of what DOOM should be instead oif thinking about the bigger picture: an engine created for an old forgotten game that kicks everyones ass. Except for the new DOOM engine of course. I always hoped that people would start working together on something and that we could put a package together for id to throw on a freebie CD distributed with the new DOOM.

Doom's formula doesn't involve miles or thousands of enemies. It involves small to large areas that never force you to run straight in one direction for like two minutes (as Serious Sam does) and at most dozens of enemies, not thousands.

It's like Doom, but with a ton of boring ass walking and the same amount of enemies, but imagine like 5,000 Imps charging at you and backpacks of ammo strewn around. It's fucking lame.

No need to imagine, just play Hell Revealed.

No need to imagine, just play Hell Revealed.

Nah, the level design in HR is much better than in serious sam.

It ain't that bad. It's engine has definite potential though. Plus Serious Sam 2 is just as tedious, but the levels are no where near as stupid, boring, and flat as the first one. Hell, they even have a doom reference in Serious Sam 2. and a Duke reference, it shows the Doom guy and Sam shooting Duke Nukem in the head. And than below the characters it has a tiny little message that says "3D Realms Sucks". Heh.

Hell, they even have a doom reference in Serious Sam 2. and a Duke reference, it shows the Doom guy and Sam shooting Duke Nukem in the head. And than below the characters it has a tiny little message that says "3D Realms Sucks". Heh.

Lol, seems like someone doesn't like 3drealms.

For sheer speed, you can't go wrong with the Quake 3 engine and its modified versions. Medal of Honor did a great job at extending the engine, though it runs about 5 times slower than Quake 3 on my machine.

Maybe this is the game designer's fault, but the Unreal engine has never seemed very impressive to me. Yes, at the time it came out the flares and vibrant textures made it look really cool next to Quake 2, but it never felt quite as "solid" as any of id's engines.

Though I've only played a few Lithtech-powered games, the engine seems pretty cool. Nothing special, just well-made and pretty fast.

The future, of course, looks bright. The Unreal Warfare-based stuff looks particularly kick-ass, especially with the Havok physics stuff they put in. It's nothing revolutionary over the original Unreal engine though - just more flexibility, enormous polygon counts and really high-detail textures and models.

The new DOOM engine is, of course, fan-fucking-tastic. Apart from the amazing graphics (150,000 polys typically in view, real-time lighting, bumpmapping and specular) the engine in itself will offer unseen flexibility. The ability to move things around in any way you see fit, and to carefully script all sorts of stuff, should give level designers all the power they could ever wish for. It shows what John Carmack can pull off after a solid decade of 3D programming, and it's going to (don't mind the pun) render us speechless.

Medal of Honor runs pretty slow because of the level's shape. Lot's of structures on outdoor scenes. I guess 40% of the brushes in there are detail brushes.

Unreal.

It's not the best but I just like it. There are some funny bugs in some Unreal games that I kinda love. Plus it provides a nice feel, I can't explain it

The new DOOM engine is, of course, fan-fucking-tastic. Apart from the amazing graphics (150,000 polys typically in view, real-time lighting, bumpmapping and specular) the engine in itself will offer unseen flexibility. The ability to move things around in any way you see fit, and to carefully script all sorts of stuff, should give level designers all the power they could ever wish for. It shows what John Carmack can pull off after a solid decade of 3D programming, and it's going to (don't mind the pun) render us speechless.

Really, you've played it? You must have, or else you could never form such a solid opinion on the engine that the rest of us have seen barely anything of! Wow, what's it like?

Jesus 'dildo' christ

there is the reason why my mom hated me being on here so much. hahahahaha!

anyway the unreal game kick ass, well i have UT but i should pick up unreal. i see it for about $5

I like the Quake2 engine. And the orignal Unreal's engine. Both are quite nice. The Q3A engine also kicked, but since the game sucked, I'll not go into that.

Best engine ever = Bioware's Infinity engine.

Too bad there are no editors for it.

Ling, all that info is publicly available. Personally, I wonder what other people are going to come up with as far as uses for the engine goes. You could feasibly forget about 3DSmax and just have a simple modeller and use the engine to render everything in real time. You could even use it to render things like CGI TV shows / movies I guess. John has pretty much left it up to the artists to come up with whatever they can. There don't seem to be a whole lot of limitations left...

Really, you've played it? You must have, or else you could never form such a solid opinion on the engine that the rest of us have seen barely anything of! Wow, what's it like?

MacWorld video. QuakeCon shots. A thousand plan updates, interviews and comments by people like Rellik, who _have_ seen the engine in action. I know, I sound like a raving fanboy but that's because I am.