Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Red

Best game engine

Problem is that stuff which the developers claim in interviews and plan updates to be in their next game are rarely one hundred % true.
I mean I clearly remembered that I read how Q3A was going to have aircraft flying overhead dropping supplies and other cool features for the sp part, so I was naive enough to think "wow, sounds cool. I'm gettin' this game".

We all know how Q3A REALLY turned out - half of the 'promised' features weren't included.

So I usually take all these claims about the "Doom 3" engine having no limitations to what mod-makers/developers can do with it with a grain of salt.

Of course, I would love to believe that it's all true and that the "Doom 3" engine will be absolutely unsurpassable, but my experience doesn't allow me to believe it entirely.

Z-MACHINE

Oh yeah, .z3 ROCKED. Back in 1981, that is.

And dsm, I won't claim Doom 3 won't limit mod makers in any way, it's just that pretty much everything Quake mappers would get frustrated about (the rigid behavior of func entities specifically) is gone. You can move anything you wish around in any way possible, and best of all the lighting stays accurate. That's pretty much the holy grail of single player level design - well, to me it is.

The future, of course, looks bright. The Unreal Warfare-based stuff looks particularly kick-ass, especially with the Havok physics stuff they put in. It's nothing revolutionary over the original Unreal engine though - just more flexibility, enormous polygon counts and really high-detail textures and models.

I just got wind of some of the funkey stuff that unreal 2 is capable of. for example, if you are standing halfway under a shadow, only half you player model will be shadowed, and if you stand under a grill, the little light spots will cover the model properly... ummm if that even makes any sence... real time shadows as well! Fab.

The future, of course, looks bright. The Unreal Warfare-based stuff looks particularly kick-ass, especially with the Havok physics stuff they put in. It's nothing revolutionary over the original Unreal engine though - just more flexibility, enormous polygon counts and really high-detail textures and models.

I just got wind of some of the funkey stuff that unreal 2 is capable of. for example, if you are standing halfway under a shadow, only half you player model will be shadowed, and if you stand under a grill, the little light spots will cover the model properly... ummm if that even makes any sence... real time shadows as well! Fab.

thats hardly new! mechwarrior 4 used it.