Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
blod

UDMF things action

Recently I started mapping in UDMF under DB2, utilizing the powers of both. And since I'm too old to be good at ZDoom scripting, it is real joy for me to make many complex actions with UDMF.

Is it possible now in UDMF (completely without scripting) to have a door opened after killing a group of monsters, not the tagged one? Or to make some action happens after collecting a few items? I consider this type of actions fairly common for modern wads, so.. any thoughts?

No. Simply put, you'll still need scripting to perform scripted events.

For map initialization stuff, you can avoid scripting in most cases thanks to UDMF; but stuff like opening a door after an arbitrary group of monsters have been killed are definitely scripted events. For a single monster, you could do that with a special on the monster (and this feature was already present in Hexen format), but if you have to keep track of items picked up or monsters killed, there's no alternative, only a script can do that.

blod said:

And since I'm too old to be good at ZDoom scripting, it is real joy for me to make many complex actions with UDMF.

Since you show interest in mapping for ZDoom, you can't possibly be too old to learn new stuff.
It always seems impossible at first, but with the help of the WIKI and asking questions here, soon you will be fluent at ACS with Action Specials and some simple C concepts.

To give you an idea on how it works

In DB2, open the Script Editor (F10), type in the script, then hit the compile button.

example map

Kappes Buur said:

Since you show interest in mapping for ZDoom, you can't possibly be too old to learn new stuff.

Great, thanx for help!

I write simple scripts for ZDoom once in a while, no problem. Anyway there are many resources and sources on the net. My question about UDMF is because of my inborn laziness and extreme excitement for the new map format ))

Gez said:

No. Simply put, you'll still need scripting to perform scripted events.

Well, I think I can do some trickery with multi-tagged monsters and multi-layered door, but obviously scripting is a lot easier in that case.