Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
OneInsaneMofo

If there was no DOOM, what FPS would you play?

Well, arguably without Doom there wouldn't be any Quake or Quake 2 (and definetly no Serious Sam).

But hey, there's plenty of great FPS's out there. Duke Nukem 3D, Unreal Tournament, Half-Life, Deus Ex, Max Payne (although it's in third-person, but it _feels_ like an FPS).

And also blood 1. I didn't like Quake 2 or Blood 2 though. The first Quake and Blood had lots of atmosphere, and some cool levels. The levels and atmosphere in Quake 2 and Blood 2 suck compared to their predecessors.

if no doom then the FPS games would not have become popular. trufuly the onely games that may have been out would have been ROTT and maybe duke3d. quake would be gone as would half-life, based on quake engine. the tech in gameing would be behind where it is now. and the games out that we love would not be here

Serious Sam? Haha. That's really some Doom-style action!

Anyway, I'd be playing THPS2 or Quake.

anything with the Build or Unreal engine.

I'd finally get around to learning how to make my own KHG maps in UnrealEd...

I dunno. Probably Heretic :p. This Daikatana demo I downloaded yesterday rules ass too (no I'm not joking).

ahh tribes, but could you really concider this a true first person, or a third person, the advertisments iv seen said first person..

Personally, I don't believe that any of the other post Doom FPS titles would've been made if Doom hadn't been there.
I mean Duke3d would probably only have crappy indoor levels if Doom hadn't been there first.
Hm, maybe Heretic would've redefined the FPS genre instead of Doom?

Anyway if Doom had never been there, I would probably be playing Wolfenstein 3d.

Duke Nukem 3D would be much better right now if it weren't for the fact that most user levels consist in TWO ROOMS FILLED WITH 10 FEET TALL TOILETS CONNECTED BY A TAGLESS DOOR WHICH YOU HAVE TO DNCLIP UNDER!%!"#&%$#" But some are pretty fucking great (Starship Troopers TC for example).

But hey, there's plenty of great FPS's out there. Duke Nukem 3D...Half-Life

Can you say "paradox"?

Not Quake 2

Huh? I must be seeing things...did you say you WOULDN'T play Quake 2? My friend, you have a lot of learning to do:

Quake 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Quake 1

Yes, you really ARE OneInsaneMofo :)

Or more interestingly, if there was no doom (and hence no doomworld), what would Lu:t do?

Probably work on Millennium.

Oh, right.

Or more interestingly, if there was no doom (and hence no doomworld), what would Lu:t do?

He would probably rot in his basement :P

He would probably rot in his basement :P

Join HereticWorld =)

if there were no doom I wouldn't be into FPS, so I'd be playing Jazz Jackrabbit. =]

I'd be playing Civilization, which would be insanely more popular today (I think Doom overshadowed it).

But hey, there's plenty of great FPS's out there. Duke Nukem 3D...Half-Life

Can you say "paradox"?

Not Quake 2

Huh? I must be seeing things...did you say you WOULDN'T play Quake 2? My friend, you have a lot of learning to do:

Quake 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Quake 1

Yes, you really ARE OneInsaneMofo :)

I thought Quake 2 was okay. I'd give it a seven, but the setting and atmosphere just sucked compared to the first Quake. I still play Quake 2 a lot though. Can't play any games online though do to a shitty problem with RAM in my computer, but let's ignore that and stay on-topic.

quake 2 bored the fuck out of me, I actually had some enjoyment in playing quake 1.

Hmm, This is an intruiging idea, but I'm surpised at the amount of people saying Quake, Quake 2 and Half-Life, because if Doom was either never made, or flopped badly, these games would never exist. chances are id would still be around, but not as important as they are now. Games might still be of a current standard however...because the Build engine is a good engine, and the unreal series would still exist as well, games like Dark Forces and such might exist, but considering that dark forces was a "doom clone" well, lucas arts may never have bothered with FPS at all, Duke Nukem might still be a platformer, with Duke Nukem: Taking Forever probably being 3drealms first step into the FPS realm, and look nowhere near like it does now. Also 3DRealms made Shadow warrior, chances are that won't exist, and Tom hall who created ROTT was from id, might not have ever made ROTT at all....Raven won't be here either, so Bye bye the heretics and the hexens, bye bye SOF and bye bye to Voyager Elite force...and the upcoming Jedi Knight 2, with out Lucas arts making shooters and no raven, well this project just won't happen, hell C&C renegade might not happen either, hell games like Battlezone and Hostile Waters probably won't look anything like they do now, Lamers all over the world won't be flooding cheater Stricken, because it isn't there. Valve will never have FUBAR'ed Half-Life and ran it like the cash cow they do now(one good thing), hell, don't like tribes chances either.
Online gaming probably is still not as popular, Quakespy would never become gamespy, therefore the PLANET*.com sites won't be here (again not a bad thing) and id won't be driving the graphics market, fuck, 3DFX was still around but correct me if I'm wrong but GLQuake played a major part in it's success did it not? Nividia probably won't be the leader in graphics or even be araound, and ATI probably will me a player, but again maybe not...

I know I paint a bleak picture, although I might be wrong, but all this just wouldn't be the same..

It's amazing when you think that one game eight years ago could have such an effect...and doom is basically ingored by most newer players now....

[edit] Anway, my basic point is, that I wouldn't be playing FPS's, I'd probably be either (A) A Need For Speed nut (I am anyway) (B) A console nut (C) Not even a gamer! (it was quake that got me into the FPS shooter craze, but it wasn't till Half-life i got serious, then I rediscovered doom via Legacy) [/edit]

Thats exactly my point, however something just occured to me, in the theoretical universe with out doom, there might be someone else that replaces Id.

Bungie software - the creators of marathon, sure most of the games were for mac, and I've never heard of marathon until a week or so ago when it was mentioned in a thread here somewhere. but Marathon wasn't that bad, from what I saw of the demo, so possibly Bungie never made the Myth games, were never bought by Microsoft, and now lead the way with the Halo series, and Microsoft never made the X-box, but hired ID to compete with Bungie. (now is where my theory really just gets silly :D) But basically just be thankful that Doom never flopped.