Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nirvana

Doombuilder 2 error

I used UDMFconvert to convert an old map to the new format, but now, when I try and open the WAD in Doombuilder 2, I get an error message:

'Could not open the WADfile for reading. Please make sure the file you are using is valid and is not in use by any other application'

It only happens with this WAD, so it has to be an error due to the conversion. I've checked taskmanager and UDMFconvert isn't lingering around with the file open and neither is a secondary Doombuiler 2.

I'm a little confused here and would appreciate some help.

Nirvana said:

I used UDMFconvert to convert an old map to the new format, but now, when I try and open the WAD in Doombuilder 2, I get an error message:

'Could not open the WADfile for reading. Please make sure the file you are using is valid and is not in use by any other application'

It only happens with this WAD, so it has to be an error due to the conversion. I've checked taskmanager and UDMFconvert isn't lingering around with the file open and neither is a secondary Doombuiler 2.

I'm a little confused here and would appreciate some help.

If the file isn't open, then that leaves the first option - it's invalid. That would mean either the conversion tool or DB2 is/are not fully UDMF compliant.

Doombuilder2 is meant to be a map editor only, so it will not show you which lumps make up a level. As such, it can deal with UDMF levels.

The only lump editor capable to deal with UDMF levels is SLADE3.

So, open the converted map with SLADE3 and you should see something like this (the icon colours will be different)

The important lump is TEXTMAP.
If this is the only lump, then add MAP01 and ENDMAP manually.
If you do not see TEXTMAP, then the conversion was not successful.

I remember there was something wrong in one of these UDMF converters (not sure if it is this one) it wrote invalid UDMF data. I remember emailing or sending the guy who made it a message about it and he posted an update somewhere on the forum here. He doesn't have a website but he used one of those crappy file megaupload websites. Sorry, not a clear answer or definite solution, but the search feature may help you :P

Gez said:

It was wad2udmf and I'm sure Nirvana already has the latest version. ;)

I feel like you've caught me cheating on you with an another forum...haha.

I wasn't sure if you'd reply so I checked in over here, but the general concensus seems to be to download Slade and check the file; which is, incidentally, what I'm doing right now :D

Slade won't open the WAD file either, the error message reads:

"Unsupported or Invalid Archive Format"

So this pretty much confirms that the conversion wasn't a success I guess (apparently I'm Dr. Seuss).

Hmmm...back to the drawing board with UDMFconvert. Are there any other more user friendly converters kicking around? Because that may be the best course of action from here.

Also, try to open it in a text editor, since if it wasn't a valid wad file then maybe all you got was the TEXTMAP lump. If it looks like it's just text, then all you need to do is create a wad file, add a map header lump (e.g. MAP01), an ENDMAP lump, and insert the text file in between both as the TEXTMAP lump.

I think I offically love you Gez. It finally worked using your suggestion.

Having downloaded Slade and since I'm having issues with XWE, will Slade do everything XWE does (at least on a basic level)? Because I figure I may as well start learning to use it, as it seems more reliable and actually receives updates.

Thanks again man and all other people who wasted their precious time on my Doom quams.

Nirvana said:

will Slade do everything XWE does (at least on a basic level)?

Yes.
However, as you found out already, XWE does nothing for UDMF maps.

My advice, stick with SLADE3. It does 98% of whats in XWE, only better. And with what's in store for the future, it will be the tool to use for constructing maps.

Just look at the items to be included .

I just wished, that Map Preview could be moved up to a higher priority.

Well, I hate to say, that after what appeared to be a success, Doom builder deleted every single Tag from my level...which was my original problem and the need for the conversion in the first place.

So now none of my teleporters, doors, elevators or much of anything works. This is a bit of a bitch. But I think you people have been patient and helpful enough for me not to moan to you about it all over again.

Besides, there probably isn't a fix, coming from such an old editor (the first one ever made for Doom I believe) to Doom Builder 2; there are bound to be problems.

Thanks for trying!

Hi,

am I to understand that a request for a fix is in place? try the 3.6 release, if that doesn't work then send me a detailed explanation so i can track it down :) by the way, is someone in need of a program? im looking for another project to work on.

Chris