Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Varis Alpha

Duke Never Comes Early

Ah well decent level design, some were fucking atrocious especially outdoor levels, but some you will feel right at home with. The textures suited the game so well... What struck me was Health regen and the 2 weapon hold @ once WTF, couldve have been a fine game... I hate 99% of modern games but still this is somehow fun for me. Would've liked it to be less casual. Multiplayer is awesome fun though.

Well hey, Doom 4 is still in early-ish development. Maybe Id will see the errors of 3d Reams' ways and realize that when you're going to deliver a sequel to a game, it should somehow resemble said game.

*Edit*
Although, I was really skeptical about Rage at first, but from what I've seen with a real glimpse into what the gameplay is actually like.. I have to say, it looks like the best thing Id has put their name on in a very long time.

The best part of the first 2 hours was the flipper mini game.

That and watching 2 pigcops showing off their epic AI, failing to get around a chest high wall and forgetting they can jump over it.

Craigs said:

The reviews say otherwise. The pc version scored 76 on metacritic and the 360 version scored a 55 .

Only a handful of reviews are out so it might not mean anything.

Anyways, I bought the game and have been playing it for about 2-3 hours......

....and I have already decided to delete it from my hard drive.

The game is a piece of trash and the biggest disappointment in gaming since SPORE. Sure, I wasn't expecting Duke Nukem Forever to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I was in fact expecting something. What shocks me the most is that the game isn't bad because of the things that I was worried about, like too many modern elements (2 weapon limit, regenerating health, etc) being forced into the game, but simply because its just a shitty game in general. The level design is very mediocre at best and crap at worst, the weapons don't feel good, the enemies are not fun to kill, the game only performs so so on my rather high end machine (and from what I hear, its WAY worse in the console versions) with many frame rate drops, your health is depleted way too fast which means long range weapons are almost almost the best ones by default, there are large amounts of boring sections where you don't really do anything, I could literally just go on and on and on and on like this......

This may very well be the first time I have ever bought a game for full price and then just given up on it after only a few hours of gameplay. Most of the time I try to at least finish them to get some value for my money, but this time I just won't even bother. This game is a spectacular failure in almost every way possible.

If you're having performance issues with the game, it's best to turn off Film Grain, Motion Blur and Post Effects under Video options. Having them all on seems to force 30 FPS for some reason.

I just know I won't be able to properly run this game. I was hoping the aged technology it was made with may have given me an edge.

Is it just me, or is there no difference between 2007 and 2011 graphics? I mean, I can see that there's a very small amount of extra polish in 2011 graphics, but I see no difference otherwise. Am I blind or just too oldschool? (thing is, I'm 17, but I grew up with 90's games)

It's because games are developed for consoles these days. It beats having to upgrade your rig every time a blockbuster title is released.

Technician said:

It's because games are developed for consoles these days. It beats having to upgrade your rig every time a blockbuster title is released.

But then you have to play with a controller, so really, nobody wins.

Megamur said:

But then you have to play with a controller

No you don't. The games that are designed with consoles in mind still get PC releases, but they'll start to lag a few years behind the bleeding edge tech stuff and system requirements as the consoles they're primarily targeted toward begin to age.

As a sidenote, the PC controls for GTA3 and GTA: Vice City suck. As soon as I reinstall the XBCD drivers on my new laptop I'm going to play with a controller. :P

I remember reading on the 3dRealms twitter (or Broussard's) and all they did was play wow, have barbecues, open up editor and move one light source around, and go home.

Do NOT blame Gearbox for this. They were given a steaming turd.

This hurts a lot. I loved the Duke Nukem spinoff games. hell, I even liked Zero Hour. But seeing video of this.... wow... son, I am disappoint.

DNF seems to have an identity crisis. It tries to trigger nostalgia for the old fans with all the references to the old games, the fact that it's Duke Nukem and so on. But it also tries to cater to cowwadoody kiddies modern FPS players with the general design choices (2 weapons, regenerating health, tunnel levels). This is kinda strange, because to me Duke Nukem isn't the kind of game that tries to please everybody.

One could argue that DNF is just like DN3D when it came out: a game with gameplay similar to other FPSs of the day, but with the Duke Nukem character and crude humor. The problem is that DNF doesn't seem to have any of the lasting appeal that DN3D has. Build, as much as I dislike it personally, was supremely easy to make new levels with compared to the Doom editors of the time. As I said earlier there seems to be a "Duke's Enormous Tool" coming out sometime, but unless it has some kind of an easy level making tool I can't see DNF editing becoming as mainstream as DN3D's was. Oh well, Gearbox has DLC coming out, that's what the console players like.

Meh, but I'm pretty sure it was Gearbox who added regenerating life, and if they really weren't fucktards they could have given the option to carry more than 2 weapons at once, and the trailers made in the early parts of this last century were very impressive for their time, where these trailers look crap. So yeah. I blame Gearbox.

I just wish that the original version of DNF was released instead. At least we would've had more retro gameplay there.

Played it for an hour or so. It's... okay. Not quite as horrible as some people are making it out to be (I'd rate it higher than Wolfenstein '09 or Far Cry 2, for instance) but it's admittedly 1/8th of the awesome it should have been if it hadn't been dragged over the finish line. Probably going to be of those games that I play through once and then forget about forever.

Sodaholic said:

Is it just me, or is there no difference between 2007 and 2011 graphics? I mean, I can see that there's a very small amount of extra polish in 2011 graphics, but I see no difference otherwise. Am I blind or just too oldschool? (thing is, I'm 17, but I grew up with 90's games)

You're not the only one. Graphics hardly woe me anymore, although I was impressed when Crysis took level design from real places and there was side-by-side image comparisons. But other than that.

I have just finished the game and...well...the game is pretty mediocre in my opinion.It takes every bad aspect of modern games and the graphics are outdated(not that I cared much anyway)

So anyway there are things that I liked in the game

1.Some of the weapons are exact(or almost) replicas of the original weapons.The shotgun in particular is very very nice imo, much better than the DooM 3 shotgun
2.now some of you may disagree but a lot of the props, textures in the game really reminded me of the duke 3d style, especially in the beginning of the game.Oh and the enemies are really cool too...
3.I liked the ego boosting items, imo that was really cool and it is really the only innovative thing in the game.

Also there are rumors that there might NOT be a level editor...As I have said before DNF has assets that remind me of duke 3d and it would be a shame not to have an editor so that we can play the game as we wish.For more info visit the gearbox forums

Btw this review features pretty much what I think about this game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q86vWgaLuwE&feature=player_embedded

I hope this serves as a lesson to developers...

DeathevokatioN said:

Meh, but I'm pretty sure it was Gearbox who added regenerating life, and if they really weren't fucktards they could have given the option to carry more than 2 weapons at once, and the trailers made in the early parts of this last century were very impressive for their time, where these trailers look crap. So yeah. I blame Gearbox.

Nope, it was all George Broussard (or however you spell it). He said in tweets that it was his decision to add in regenerating health and 2 weapon limits. The reason why the game was in development hell for so long and had numerous restarts is because everytime George saw a new FPS come out with a new feature (such as Halo's 2 weapon system) he would immediately demand that DNF had it as well, so the game just kept changing all the core mechanics over and over again.

This is why the game is such a random mash up of all sorts of "modern FPS" features that just don't work well together, because George is an idiot.

Apparently some people who beat the game have compared it to the leaked 2009 design docs, and a lot of content ended up being cut. It seems Gearbox plans to sell this content separately as paid DLC

Yep, it's a modern game alright.

Melon said:

This is why the game is such a random mash up of all sorts of "modern FPS" features that just don't work well together, because George is an idiot.

Jeez.. really? :/ What an idiot. Duke could have taken the fps genre back to it's roots, it already had all the attention of the gaming community because of it's name, so to needlessly jump on the bandwagons of all these retarded modern trends is such a waste.

I still think Gearbox should have issued some form of quality control though.

That 25 minute video of the game really made me think (seen here >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q86vWgaLuwE&feature=player_embedded)...

The first 10 minutes were only 2 turretish areas. One where you circle a rooftop killing things for 5 minutes. The next scene was a turret circling things where you kill things wow. That's just LAZY.

Fuck indie game devs aren't even that lazy :-)

Then a driving segment... which its great he has driving segments, but confined to a single vehicle without the ability to get out or explore is just lazy, plus that driving segment took 10 minutes with 2 minutes of walking FPS in it.

That makes me think in 20 minutes of that video I saw 2 minutes of FPS and its a FPS game. Sure the first 5 minutes were walking FPS, but you were confined to a single rooftop.

If there's one thing I've really learned with FPS and RPGs, its that PEOPLE LIKE TO EXPLORE!!!!!!!! People hate conformity. People want to do what they want to do. Its like that in life, let alone with games. When you drive a car to get 10 miles away there's 100 ways to get there! Its that simple.

But I guess then game makers can't tell a story then... but you know what fuck story. OR have 1 minute cut scenes to end and start each level and no in between cut scenes, because they totally take you out of the game. Everything should happen in game.

geo said:

a driving segment

I don't really get what's the point in having driving segments at all in an FPS. The only point about driving in games is racing against other players or against the AI. In that video, he was just moving from point A to point B with the car while taking his sweet time. He could have just as well been walking. So, what's the point? If you're going to have driving in a genre it doesn't belong to, at least give it a purpose from a gameplay perspective. Don't use it as a lazy time waster during which nothing actually happens in the game.

Oh and turret segments...if I want to play those, I'll go in to the arcades (not that I'd actually want to). Is there actually anyone who likes those things on a PC or a console (I can understand the novelty of playing those arcade games with guns as controllers)?

geo said:

But I guess then game makers can't tell a story then...

That wasn't much of a problem in Deus Ex, it allowed you to explore quite a bit and still delivered a pretty decent story.

edit: I'd also like to add about the rooftop area that it seemed to have little to no challenge at all. You're fighting only a couple of enemies over and over again, and thanks to the infinite health it doesn't even work as an endurance stage where you'd need to outlast the waves with a limited supply of health. I mean, if it was a Doom map with two-three medikits given as health, it would already be a lot more interesting because you couldn't just take hits from every enemy since your limited health must last through the whole thing. But no, when your health regenerates between each wave, what's the fucking point?

Things I liked:

The times when they let you listen to revamped versions of old midis.
The flipper minigame (ties in with the previous point).
The weapons.
The strip bar map and Duke's oneliner afterwards.

Things I didn't like:

Drive, get gas, drive, get gas, holy shit powerboat map from HL2.
Physics puzzles. More leftovers from the HL2 era.
Retarded and weak enemies. When there are no enforcers or octabrains (and there rarely are any) nothing can threaten you in any way. This kills the gameplay for me more than anything else I could add on this side of the list.

I've not played it and after the reviews, I don't think I will until 5 years from now when its $10 on Steam. Oh Internet reviews... you save me from making mistakes.

Jodwin said:

The only point about driving in games is racing against other players or against the AI.

Or squashing the monsters :)