Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnatone

So I'm buying a PS3...

...but I only have enough for the system and one game right now. Thus my dilemma: what game do I get? Since it'll be a while before I can get another one I need something with a decent length singleplayer mode (or have good replay value) and preferably an online option. I prefer shooters, and was looking at Borderlands or COD:Black Ops (since the latter is what my coworkers all play). I was also looking at Fallout 3 or New Vegas and GTA4 since they both have long singleplayer campaigns; oddly enough, as much as I want it I'm actually going to wait on FFXIII. I was considering Batman: AA as well. I'm very indecisive when it comes to things like this; I hate only being able to have one when I want them all. Christ, I just about go into shock if I only have enough for one candy bar. I know everyone has different opinions but you guys also tend to have good opinions which is why I keep coming here. Thanks all!

I don't own a PS3, but of the games you mentioned (which I have played), Fallout 3 has lasted me the longest, and probably has (in my opinion) the best value:price ratio. Buying it a few months after the release and playing somewhat regularly, I'm still not finished my second character. I imagine New Vegas would have a similar or better ratio, but I've yet to delve that far into it.

But I'm the type of player who likes exploring detailed single-player worlds, rather than playing online, so I'm probably not the best person to give you advice. I was also fairly disappointed in GTA4, myself, as it seemed like a huge step backward from San Andreas.

I've had a lot of fun playing and replaying GTA4 on my PS3. So far, that's probably my favorite game on that system. I've have poured a ton of hours into Wipeout HD.

Johnatone said:

as much as I want it I'm actually going to wait on FFXIII.

The longer the better, as XIII is at best a bargain bin game. I was so discontented at how far the Final Fantasy games have fallen that I was seriously considering writing Square-Enix a letter, not that it would do anything, but just to express how disappointed I was in it.

If you're into Metal Gear Solid I would strongly suggest Guns of the Patriots, very high replayability despite a relatively short (compared to 2 or 3) campaign. If not, you really can't go wrong with something like GTA4 until you have enough money to broaden your collection.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

If you're into Metal Gear Solid I would strongly suggest Guns of the Patriots, very high replayability despite a relatively short (compared to 2 or 3) campaign.

Ahh yes, this too. This game was short (beat it in 3 days), but it blew me out of my seat. I'm looking forward to playing it again over the summer.

Actually, both MGS4 and GTA4 are "Greatest Hits", so they should be cheaper than a normal PS3 game. I think. Also, have you considered looking for used copies to maybe get more than one game?

I don't have a whole lot of PS3 games but here are my suggestions. If you're looking for multiplayer shooters like Black Ops:

MAG: 256 player maps are awesome.
Unreal Tournament 3: lots of advantages over the 360 version like splitscreen, and a shitload of free DLC.
CoD4 Modern Warfare: A lot of people actually prefer this to the second.

Games that aren't FPSs but have tons of replay value:
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Warhawk
LittleBigPlanet 2
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift

Mithran Denizen said:

I don't own a PS3, but of the games you mentioned (which I have played), Fallout 3 has lasted me the longest

Fallout 3 is offered in a GOTY release with all the expansions at standard price for the PS3, right? If so, I'd definitely suggest that. You won't run out of things to do in that game for ages with all five packs.

Ok, I own MAG, Unreal 3 and CoD4 for PS3, but I wouldn't recommend them.

MAG - decent game, but it's a bit boring, and the massive battles for objective points turn into a massive clusterfuck. It's more like Cannon Fodder, the game.

Unreal 3 - very laggy and hardly anyone plays this game online anyway

CoD4 - good game, but the online has been hacked to hell. Expect all sorts of shit. I havn't played it for a month so it may have been patched since then, but last time I logged online I was met with mininukes, people being systematically kicked from servers or thrown outside the map, 75% of the matches.

Unreal 3 - very laggy and hardly anyone plays this game online anyway

Unreal, any unreal for that matter, belongs on the PC. That is all there is to say on the matter.

I'll probably be one of the only people to say he enjoyed FFXIII (at least for what it was), but it definitely wasn't what it could have been. No towns, really (really, really, like moreso than FFX) annoying voice acting, so-so j-pop soundtrack (which includes a really badly placed Leona Lewis track), and lackluster storyline are frustrating. However, the the combat is really tight and becomes pretty challenging late game. Also, the game has a pretty good length (40-50 hours) so it should keep you busy for a while.

MGS4 is a great game and I've finished it multiple times. The storyline is pretty insane, like always. Gameplay is excellent because it truly allows you to tackle each situation in any way you want. The shooting mechanics are much more fleshed out, allowing you to attack enemies more naturally rather than standing in one place and firing in FPS view. There are loads of weapons and items to acquire, and you no longer have to worry about going through a menu to change your camouflage all the time. Also, it features the first use of the word "fuck" that I've noticed in the MGS series.

I highly recommend the Uncharted games, too. They're probably my favorite PS3 titles. They play out like modern Indiana Jones stories and have you globetrotting, finding ancient relics and discovering long lost ancient secrets while uncovering the evil motives of the guys you're shooting at. The games are loads of fun, have great stories and memorable characters, and really excellent soundtracks. Level design is colorful and varied (especially in Uncharted 2), and the gunplay is challenging.

So yeah, there's other great games but that's all I can think to say before leaving for work.

I really need to try the Uncharted series, I havn't played either games yet. And I agree about Unreal on the PC, Unreal3 just isn't as good as Unreal2k4 either IMO.

Yeah, I was considering used, especially since my roommate has one of those 10% of cards for Gamestop. I'd forgotten about Uncharted; being a Tomb Raider fan that game did appeal to me (they have all three of the new TR games in one pack but I've already played the first two so I'm skipping that). I also realized I've never played God of War and IIRC they released the first two on PS3. I didn't play MGS3 because 2 was such a let down but I keep hearing good things about 4; as long as it isn't 10 minutes of play punctuated by 2 hours of movies I'll have to check it out. Little Big Planet was on my list because they have it packaged with a second controller and I'm trying to get my girl back into gaming. Ugh, so many options.

The Orange Box is better on PC too. It has never received an update, and TF2 has also been hacked to hell. Last time I played that online there was a gang of noclipping engineers...

So I couldn't find the PS3 bundle I wanted, the one with Killzone 3, because everyone sold out of them. All anyone had was the Move Bundle which I didn't want. I actually despise the Move; I think that the whole concept, even forgetting for a moment that it's a shameless rip off of the Wii, is a useless gimmick. Then today I'm looking through the newspaper ads and see it: K-Mart had the Killzone 3 bundle plus Killzone 2 for $300. Since nobody actually shops at K-Mart I knew there was hope; I now have one, the last one, on lay away til tomorrow. This solves my dilemma for a little bit, as I'll have two games to hold me over for a while. They also had God of War one and two packaged with a controller but I'll have to wait on that; if they still have it next week that'll be my next purchase. Then I'm going for the older games til the newer games become old and cheaper (except Rage and Portal 2, which I'll try to be getting within week one . I'd say Duke Nuke Forever but it has to prove it'll actually come out).

Captain Toenail said:

Killzone3 is pretty decent, nice choice. As for playing with the Move controller, try that online and you will get smushed I'm sure. :p

K3 isn't worth 60 bucks by any means, 40 MAYBE, 20? It's fine. Here's a rundown of what is bad with the game:

- Crappy story, tons of out of nowhere moments/continuation errors/lack of character development/crappy cliffhanger ending.
- Very linear gameplay, it's on rails basically.
- THE ENDING!
- It's short.

As for what is good:

- Neat graphics and scale of levels. By neat graphics. I do not mean mean millions of polygons but nice aesthetic touches/colors.
- There's lots of stuff to blow up and there's a decent showdown with a huge helghast military machine 3/4 through the game. So huge it will make you crap your pants at sight of it.
- Move controls are good once calibrated properly. Calibrating them is a bit unintuitive.

Multiplayer portion:
+ Each class has a different significant use in teamplay. A team without a medic, or tactician, is doomed for example.
+ It feels satisfying to kill people.
- Massive lags (not sure how 1.07 patch changed it but I doubt it's fixed, played during 1.01 to 1.06). YES I have lags on my 10mbps connection and only in this game.
- BUGS, FREAKING BUGS everywhere (lol dlc map bug, where you keep playing dlc maps endlessly!)
- I DO NOT recommend playing on Akmir Snowdrift, 15-20 FPS max at the rampage there. Who the fuck optimiized this map?
- It's pretty dumbed down compared to Killzone 2, it's very friendly for newbies now. In K2, you had to kill people with skill! I bet it caters to the fucking COD crowd. Casualizing at it's finest!
- The map count is low... maps themselves are small by any means.
- 24 players instead of 32 like in K2.
- Playing with move gives you a fucking aimbot.
- Stats saving problems everywhere.
- So bugs, bugs and again bugs.
- Matchmaking sucks, it puts you always in lowest player count matches.

===

I hope you read the rant (30 hours into the game) and I HOPE you won't get this piece of shit for 60 bucks. Rent at best or 20 bucks at most worth.

That's why I couldn't get into Killzone2. The damn movement controls sucked. It felt like the gun weighed a ton. But the graphics are top notch.

I'd say Bayonetta, but I'm biased as hell and the PS3 version has framerate issues.

alterworldruler said:

I hope you read the rant (30 hours into the game) and I HOPE you won't get this piece of shit for 60 bucks. Rent at best or 20 bucks at most worth.

Yeah, I read it. Like I said, I got KZ2 and 3 free with the console (thank you K-Mart); granted the sales tax was $24 but a PS3 with two games for $324? Hell yes, I haven't seen a deal that good since the NES came with Super Mario Bros/Duckhunt and a lightgun.

I'm liking KZ2 so far; I didn't care for one but loved KZ: Liberation on the PSP. Sure, it's linear and the regenerating health takes some of the skill out of it but it's fun, the graphics are top notch and it's a good way to get back into console shooters. I'll give MP a shot once I beat the campaing, which, if I don't get called for roofing, will be tomorrow probably.

I've also been downloading the hell out of demos (I love how the downloads keep going even when you're playing and tell you when they're done). I'm already psyched for the new Mortal Combat, I haven't played much of the Bulletstorm demo and I just downloaded the Little Big Planet demo.

So far I'm loving the hell out of this purchase; it wasn't something I needed and really couldn't afford but whatwith being completely clean and sober and not working all the damn time I needed something to do with my time. Plus, I'm a gamer at heart, I can't deny my heritage. :) Next games: Uncharted, Batman: AA, and Borderlands.

If you like driving games, Gran Turismo 5 is really nice, although I liked Forza 3 on the 360 better. GT5 has enough content to last for a long, long time.