Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Freeze

EDH/Commander (Magic: The Gathering)

Anyone else play this format? I know this board has a few M:TG players (Dan and the Jetsons guy come to mind), and I've devoted the last few months exclusively to making EDH decks. Here's my only completed one:

COMMANDER

Ezuri, Renegade Leader

CREATURES

Wirewood Elf
Nettle Sentinel
Elvish Archdruid
Quirion Elves
Treetop Scout
Defiant Elf
Elvish Skysweeper
Norwood Archers
Fyndhorn Elder
Elvish Pioneer
Quirion Ranger
Cylian Elf
Essence Warden
Ezuri's Archers
Greenweaver Druid
Skyshroud Ranger
Skyshroud Elite
Elvish Hunter
Arbor Elf
Frontier Guide
Nurterer Initiate
Wildheart Invoker
Viridian Emissary
Sylvan Ranger
Tajuru Preserver
Elvish Berserker
Silhana Starfletcher
Quirion Sentinel
Timberwatch Elf
Wood Elves
Elven Riders
Pendelhaven Elder
Wellwisher
Llanowar Elves
Bloodline Shaman
Mul Daya Channelers

SPELLS

Eldrazi Conscription
Wildsize
Seek the Horizion
Strength of Ceders
Blunt the Assualt
Asceticism
Reins of the Vinesteed
Invigorate
Overrun
Epic Proportions
Elvish Promenade
Carapace
Vines of Vastwood
Savage Silhouette
Luminescent Rain
Thrive
Realms Uncharted
Genesis Wave
Evolution Charm
Praetor

I'd like to get into EDH, but no one I know really plays any more. We just have parties sometimes where someone buys a booster box and we have a booster draft tournament. I still make decks for fun, but they're just for standard games.

Danarchy said:

I'd like to get into EDH, but no one I know really plays any more. We just have parties sometimes where someone buys a booster box and we have a booster draft tournament. I still make decks for fun, but they're just for standard games.

I stay away from booster drafts thanks to the tourneyfaggots who go to my FLGS. Hell, two weeks ago some neckbeard started raging hard because I took Praetor's Counsel before he could.

Not to mention that Standard is dominated by Infect decks right now, and Infect is fucking stupid as hell. 10 counters makes you lose (even in 40-life EDH)...and only one card in the entire game takes away poison counters. And it was printed years ago. GL HF

Yeah, infect is nasty. Like I said, though, I only play with my friends so tourneyfags aren't a problem. I've never had mcuh problem with other players in booster draft tourneys before, though. But, last time I played was like 8 years ago. Maybe it's changed.

Heh, Magic. Is it a bad sign that I've never actually played the game but still know what EDH is? I might be the only one in this local area that doesn't play the game. :P

Heh, I didn't even realise anyone still played MTG. I haven't met a Magic player in real life for years.

Danarchy said:

I've never had mcuh problem with other players in booster draft tourneys before, though. But, last time I played was like 8 years ago. Maybe it's changed.

Mythic Rares and Planeswalkers weren't around 8 years ago, though. As the market shot through the roof, the players followed.

In fact, let me name a few cards I own and their prices:

Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas....$48
Jace Beleren................$12
Glimpse the Unthinkable.....$18
Ulamog......................$11
Kozliek.....................$10
Grave Titan.................$15
Lord of Extinction..........$5

Barring Lord of Extinction (traded), all of those cards were found in booster packs. So yeah, I could see why people get bent out of shape over things like that. It doesn't mean that acting like a manchild is justified, but hey.

I have two EDH decks at the moment. I play booster drafts and EDH, but that's it. No standard, extended, etc. It's too expensive to keep up with standard legal decks. EDH is great; all one needs is one of any card. Hence, any sweet rares that I find in booster drafts get traded away for older cards if I already have them.

I haven't run into any "tourneyfags" at the local gamer store. Everyone I've met there have been fun to draft with and everyone understands the swingy aspects of drafts and rares. One does envy the guy who opens three mythic rares in his packs (happened a few weeks ago; Tezzeret, Hero of Bladehold and Wurmcoil Engine were in his packs lol) but that's an accepted part of the experience.

I don't play Magic Online, but I imagine people are less friendly on the whole compared to the local store (referring to the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory rather than just plain ol' pessemism ;)

Some bitch stole my main EDH deck a year or two ago, along with my standard and legacy decks at the time. I was running a Saffi Erriksdoter blink deck, which due to the M10 changes to the stack became much less awesome for delivering instant speed combat tricks and putting damage on the stack then saving my dudes. It was really fantastic though, had a survival of the fittest engine, lots of awesome nonbasic land interactions and recycling with life from the loam, and a host of creatures with amazing come into play effects.

My other deck was some bullshit Jhoira deck made out of stupid cheap (monetarily) rares with huge casting costs. Surprisingly it can retard out quite a few wins without powerhouse combos.

PS: I am a pro tourneyfag, sorry guise

Mr. Freeze said:

Jace Beleren................$12

Heh, I remember when he was like $75 for a non-foil, and nearly twice the price for a foil. I think that's the most valuable any card has ever been right out of the gate like that. Anyone who actually bought one at that price is a moron. If for collectability, then the price drop killed its value for the next decade, and if for tourneys, then good job on buying a card that will only work for 2 years, then you can't sell it for shit after that. I never thought he was that great, anyway. Then again, I've never liked blue.

Grave Titan.................$15

Oh hey, I have one of those. Didn't know it was worth so much.

Vile said:

I have two EDH decks at the moment. I play booster drafts and EDH, but that's it. No standard, extended, etc. It's too expensive to keep up with standard legal decks. EDH is great; all one needs is one of any card. Hence, any sweet rares that I find in booster drafts get traded away for older cards if I already have them.

Yeah, EDH seems like a great way to show off your card collection. That's why I'm kind of interested (but I don't really have any good generals, so I've never made one), though I'm still bummed I gave away my whole 1994-1999 collection of cards. S much awesomeness lost. ;_;

Making cubes seems to be another way to do that. I have a friend who likes to make cubes out of X cards each from every set ever (and he does have many cards from every singe set). Its kind of fun to play games with it, then draw cards from fucking Arabian Knights and use them against stuff from Mirrodin or Lorwyn.

I haven't run into any "tourneyfags" at the local gamer store. Everyone I've met there have been fun to draft with and everyone understands the swingy aspects of drafts and rares. One does envy the guy who opens three mythic rares in his packs (happened a few weeks ago; Tezzeret, Hero of Bladehold and Wurmcoil Engine were in his packs lol) but that's an accepted part of the experience.

I have a friend who got two Avengers of Zendikar in one pack. One was a foil. That's some crazy luck right there.

Danarchy said:

Yeah, EDH seems like a great way to show off your card collection. That's why I'm kind of interested (but I don't really have any good generals, so I've never made one), though I'm still bummed I gave away my whole 1994-1999 collection of cards. S much awesomeness lost. ;_;

"Not having a good general" is no reason to not make a good EDH deck. Good generals can easily be 50 cent rares, and they don't always have to have some crazy interaction with the deck you make. You can just pick something for the colors. In fact I encourage people to make EDH decks out of crap they consider cool rather than what's overpowered. But if you have a particular strategy of EDH deck you want to build, I can certainly make some general and card recommendations.

Danarchy said:

Heh, I remember when he was like $75 for a non-foil, and nearly twice the price for a foil. I think that's the most valuable any card has ever been right out of the gate like that.

You sure you don't mean Jace, The Mind Sculptor? He's sitting at $100 right now, IIRC. I don't think I've ever seen Beleren go aboe $25.

Shaikoten said:

"Not having a good general" is no reason to not make a good EDH deck. Good generals can easily be 50 cent rares, and they don't always have to have some crazy interaction with the deck you make. You can just pick something for the colors. In fact I encourage people to make EDH decks out of crap they consider cool rather than what's overpowered. But if you have a particular strategy of EDH deck you want to build, I can certainly make some general and card recommendations.

What I meant was my only multicolor legends are green/white for some reason, and I already have a kick-ass green/white ally deck. I'd rather do some other sort of combo. I have Mono-colored legends, but meh, don't want to make a 100-card mono deck.

Mr. Freeze said:

You sure you don't mean Jace, The Mind Sculptor? He's sitting at $100 right now, IIRC. I don't think I've ever seen Beleren go aboe $25.

Oh, yeah. Forgot there were two. Still, anyone who bought one is an idiot. Also, they made fucking Zendikar boosters rare as hell. I just wanted to buy some not too long ago, and every place is fucking sold out of them. I really liked that set. :|

The reason Zendikar boosters SEEM rare is because it was actually an amazingly popular set. They stop printing boosters of a particular block a little while after the new block is printed, and if Block A is more popular than Block B, all of the packs of Block A get sold out very quickly. In reality, many more packs of Zendikar were printed than will be printed of the new Mirrodin block. People were still drafting ZEN after the new block was printed cause ZEN is a much more fun set, which has put a limit on how many ZEN packs are available for sale. Because of this printing policy, chase rares in a 3rd set of a block tend to be much higher, because the 3rd set is almost always the set that has the least packs printed, just because it was in print for a drastically shorter period of time and so less is in circulation. Both of the minor sets in a block suffer from this, which is the reason why Jace, The Mind Sculptor is a bajazillion dollars.

tl-dr: There are a ton of Zendikar singles in circulation but no packs cause it was a super popular set.

I just wish my local game shops would carry a Rise of the Eldrazi fat pack SOMEWHERE. I want Ulamog and Kozliek without going online, dammit!

New Phyrexia confirmed as the Action block. In other news, Mirrodin continues to suck.

My friend loves EDH and tells me about it all the time. I personally haven't bought cards since Invasion, I try to only play online now.

And whats this about Phyrexia coming back?

Chex Warrior said:

And whats this about Phyrexia coming back?

The recent block's storyline was Mirrodin vs Phyrexia, with the final block (codenamed "Action") being left up to the fans to decide. Phyrexia won, in no small part due to the GB Infect decks running around.

Kind of lame for them to give a broken mechanic to Phyrexia and shitty-ass mechanics to the Mirran or whatever, then pit them against each other to see who won. I liked the whole concept of Mirrodin before, but this block has fucked it up. :( I wish they'd bring Karn back as a planeswalker or something.