Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alphawolf

Doom Builder 2 - Script Bug?

I've been tinkering with a weather effect wad and have run into some problems getting the acs scripting working for the maps. I have taken a wad called rain.wad which is to demonstrate weather points taken from another wad which was labelled WEATHER.wad

My problem is that when I try to add a new sector with new weather spots to spawn rain or snow I am greeted by a script error that looks like this:

It says that it cannot include file "Weather.acs" which is total bullshite because the very same file is in the wad which is used as a resource, I know because its here in the wad:

This is the acs file it supposedly cannot find. Anyway besides this bug there is another problem, this is what I am scripting:

That selected text is the script for my new sector to have the rain spawn. I don't understand why if the weather spot tag and the script are both the same why it does not spawn the rain.

What's going on? I could place the rain/snow spawners across the room but that's cheating, I would rather have it work like it does in the rain.wad and weather.wad as it was orignally supposed to.

What's going on?

PS Please help anyone in the know, I have tinkered and played for hours and I cannot solve this issue. Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure the compiler won't magically find 'weather.acs' within the WAD itself, especially since its lump name is just 'WEATHER' according to the SLADE screenshot. Try putting 'weather.acs' in the same directory as ACC itself, which should be somewhere within the Doom Builder 2\Compilers\ directory, depending on which game configuration you're using.

I have no idea what the problem is with your second issue, as I'd have to look more closely at the scripts. Is there a good reason why those 7 lines after //Very Heavy, Torrential Rain 2 are duplicated twice with different values? That looks kind of suspect.

Hmm yeah you have to compile the WEATHER lump and import the .acs file into the wad instead of the textlump.

Mithran Denizen said:

I'm pretty sure the compiler won't magically find 'weather.acs' within the WAD itself, especially since its lump name is just 'WEATHER' according to the SLADE screenshot. Try putting 'weather.acs' in the same directory as ACC itself, which should be somewhere within the Doom Builder 2\Compilers\ directory, depending on which game configuration you're using.

I have no idea what the problem is with your second issue, as I'd have to look more closely at the scripts. Is there a good reason why those 7 lines after //Very Heavy, Torrential Rain 2 are duplicated twice with different values? That looks kind of suspect.

I added the weather.acs into the zdoom directory in Doom Builder 2\Compilers\zdoom

It doesn't rectify the issue though, I also went into the acc file and added weather.acs yet there the problem isn't resolved.

The odd thing is that the script works and starts to test the map when I load up doom builder 2, yet AFTER I open script editor and close it it gets the hump with me and refuses to start. It makes zero sense. Whether I choose to add script or edit existing script makes no difference, whenever script editor is opened it comes up with that error.

Oh the second problem the script is the same for the torrential rain 2 execpt for the tags. I copied the wads already working script added a new number (where you see the 3's) just as he had with the torrential rain he already had. It should theoretically work.

Hmm yeah you have to compile the WEATHER lump and import the .acs file into the wad instead of the textlump.

How do you mean?

Alphawolf said:

How do you mean?

I think Icytux means that you have to import the compiled object file (.o) into the WAD, as opposed to the plaintext .acs file. If you haven't, you might want to look over the applicable wiki page here.

From the third paragraph on that page:

[The library script] is then compiled the same as any scripts lump, with acc (you'll have to learn to use it from the command line; the syntax is 'acc inputfile.acs -o output.o'). Next you must insert the newly created object (.o) file into your wad between two A_ markers (A_START and A_END), and the name of the lump will be the same as "libname" given above (this is why you should limit the name to eight characters). So if you have #library "somelib" then the lump name between A_START and A_END should be SOMELIB.

I'd also take a look at the wad that you're borrowing the resources from out of curiousity, but I can't seem to find weather.wad or rain.wad via google, so I apologize.

Right sorry, yes the two wads I have been using are:

Weather

Rain

If you load up rain.wad and then the script editor in Doom Builder 2 (ZDoom Doom in Hexen format) and then try to test the map you'll get the acs error.

I'll have a look at getting the compile object into the wad. And thanks for your support on this I've had little luck finding anyone else who would help =)