Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Craigs

Darkspore beta

http://darkspore.com/

I've been trying the beta for a few days now, and I gotta say it's surprisingly fun. Considering how stupid the whole premise is (Spore for grown ups!), I wasn't too confident in it while I was downloading it, but so far I've been pleasantly surprised. It's essentially Diablo with elements from spore. As you level up you can unlock more characters to play as. There's around 100 but I'm not sure if they're all in the beta (not like you'd be able to unlock them all before friday anyway). The only complaints I really even have so far is that the interface is kind of confusing and sometimes the match maker fails to put me in the level I select. Oh and it's desperately crying for Diablo style randomly generated levels. Oh and the story line is boring. I've pretty much skipped over all the cutscenes.

I noticed this in my Steam library (ready for download) the other day. Didn't know what it was.

EDIT: Oh, what the hell? It's even made by Maxis.

Eh, as much as I enjoyed the game, it sure as he'll isn't worth full price. I'll probably wait for a price drop or for it to go on sale. Seems more like a $20 game than a $50 one. I do admire them for not charging console price like Blizzard or Ubisoft though.

UnendingRequiem said:

I would play this, but my computer probably couldn't run it :(

I downloaded the beta on my Dell Studio laptop, hardly a gaming machine, and it ran completely smoothly, albeit on the lowest settings.

I really enjoyed it, but like Craigs said, it doesn't really seem like a 50 dollar game. There's also an issue which I ran across on their forums: all your data is stored on their servers, which means that if their servers are down or if you don't have internet, you can't play. Also, if they at some point decide to no longer support the game and take the servers down, you can't play anymore. So basically, it's an MMO without a large explorable world, and without regular updates.

Craigs said:

Eh, as much as I enjoyed the game, it sure as he'll isn't worth full price. I'll probably wait for a price drop or for it to go on sale. Seems more like a $20 game than a $50 one. I do admire them for not charging console price like Blizzard or Ubisoft though.

Not that they need it, but to Blizzard's defense, I'm pretty sure that was an Activision decision, not a Blizzard one.

Aaronjw said:

I downloaded the beta on my Dell Studio laptop, hardly a gaming machine, and it ran completely smoothly, albeit on the lowest settings.

I really enjoyed it, but like Craigs said, it doesn't really seem like a 50 dollar game. There's also an issue which I ran across on their forums: all your data is stored on their servers, which means that if their servers are down or if you don't have internet, you can't play. Also, if they at some point decide to no longer support the game and take the servers down, you can't play anymore. So basically, it's an MMO without a large explorable world, and without regular updates.

My computer can't even run Battlefield 2142 on the lowest settings without it being extremely slow and laggy, even in off-line single player. And my comp came out at about the same time as BF2142.

UnendingRequiem said:

My computer can't even run Battlefield 2142 on the lowest settings without it being extremely slow and laggy, even in off-line single player. And my comp came out at about the same time as BF2142.

In that case your PC was shit to begin with.