Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UnendingRequiem

Heretic III / HeXen III

Yeah, the Heretic manual says some blah blah about the Sidhe being immune to D'Sparil's brainwashing aura and because of that being branded as heretics.

That's not what I was talking about though. I was replying to a point made that hecatomb means killing cows by pointing out that heretic also has an etymology that isn't especially exciting.

Gez said:

That's not what I was talking about though. I was replying to a point made that hecatomb means killing cows by pointing out that heretic also has an etymology that isn't especially exciting.

Hey, actually I did mention the original etymology, but was definitely thinking of the current meaning, which is general slaughter, of men or animals. It's too bombastic and generic as a FPS title.

printz said:

Can't people be more subtle? It means killing 100 cows. Sure, it's for the gods, but you can imagine that after Heretic (you), those cows may really be people treated as cattle. It's too over the top. It's like the "monster infested holocaust" mentioned in the Doom manual. Hexen makes a much better name.

What the hell's wrong with going over the top? DooM is very over the top, and that's arguably one the reasons why it lasted so long and has a bigger cult behind it than Heretic. And this is coming from someone who prefers Heretic. ;)

If there ever was a game that is going to save the fps genre it'd need to be over the top with insanely abstract Lovecraftian architecture that opens up an entire universe inside your imagination, striking imagery with lots of evil undertones, colorful texture variations, fast paced action, cryptic layouts, and enemies that can explode into a thousand pieces when you destroy them with enough force.

Subtlety is another word for watered down, and belongs in Opeth songs. :P

Gez said:
And Heretic means "chooser", since "heresy" means "choice". (It really does.) The question isn't what the word means or meant, it's what they evoke. After all, Doom isn't really about a census

You're joking? I always thought heretic meant blasphemer.

UnendingRequiem said:

You're joking?

No.

Origin:
1175–1225; Middle English heresie < Old French eresie < Latin haeresis school of thought, sect < Greek haíresis, literally, act of choosing, derivative of haireîn to choose

UnendingRequiem said:

I always thought heretic meant blasphemer.

That's a different project.

Anyway, no. A blasphemy is an insult to the divine (who, notoriously, are thin-skinned and are very sensitive so it's really grave to offend their feelings). A heresy is a religious belief that deviates from orthodoxy.

E.g., claiming that the Holy Trinity of Christianity are three separate beings (the Father is not the Son and neither are the Holy Ghost) is a heresy, but not a blasphemy. Claiming Jesus was just an ancient ages hobo hopped up on cannabis is a blasphemy, but not a heresy.

Spleen said:

I always assumed that it was called "Heretic" because Corvus was a heretic who fought against the Serpent-Rider-worshiping religion.

Yes. D'Sparil branded all of the Sidhe heretics because they would not join in his worship, and therefore fall under his mind control, due to their awareness of the prophecy concerning the sorcerers that would come from the east.

What about the ending?

It's generally assumed that the player is Eidolon, who is described as being the most powerful of the Riders in the manuals, but it's never outright stated. Retconning the chessmaster to the leader of the Riders or some such could be a good start, I think.

Damn, never saw that before. That would be a rather cool idea. A new Heretic/Hexen would be great. And while they're at it, myabe Velocity can come back and make a Strife 2.

I remember somebody was making a "Ravenhurst" mod for Hexen II a while ago: the vision being to make levels that were interesting and as action-packed as the older games, whilst also moving the story forward. Afraid the site's been taken down and the mod has presumably died, though.

StoneFrog said:

I remember somebody was making a "Ravenhurst" mod for Hexen II a while ago: the vision being to make levels that were interesting and as action-packed as the older games, whilst also moving the story forward. Afraid the site's been taken down and the mod has presumably died, though.

Well, someone named kristus is making an action-packed mod for Hexen I, and it's going to be awesome!

StoneFrog said:

That was Razumen. Checking online comes up with Ravenhurst on Moddb --> http://www.moddb.com/mods/ravenhurst and he posted in January so it looks like it may still have some life in it.

I was designing a set of HeXen 2 levels, but I gave up on it ages ago. I seem to have found my old screenshots online..

shot One

shot Two

shot three

shot four

shot five

shot six

shot seven

shot eight

shot nine

shot ten

Doom Dude said:

That was Razumen. Checking online comes up with Ravenhurst on Moddb --> http://www.moddb.com/mods/ravenhurst and he posted in January so it looks like it may still have some life in it.

I was designing a set of HeXen 2 levels, but I gave up on it ages ago. I seem to have found my old screenshots online..

Damn that was looking VERY nice.

I adore Hexen II's visuals: at least for the Blackmarsh sections. I always found the original Hexen to be just a little too earthy, but its sequel struck a nice balance.

Personally though I miss the garish color palette of Heretic - everything was so vibrant. From a mapper's perspective, it made creating trims and areas of contrast really fun.