Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UnendingRequiem

Heretic III / HeXen III

Oh my GAWWWWWD yes yes yes yesyesyesyes. They should do this. Although, I wonder how much respect they will pay to the predecessors? I don't really want to see a Hexen rail shooter, for example :P

I would. I could never figure out where to go!

Hopefully Raven can redeem themselves with this after a string of less-than-amazing titles.

UnendingRequiem said:

Watch this be an April Fools' joke :(

Twas the first thing I thought when I saw the thread title :/ Nonetheless let's hope they do it and do it well!!

UnendingRequiem said:

Watch this be an April Fools' joke :(

If there had been any announcement on this day, maybe. But all I see is fan speculation.

Also, hasn't about a half of the Raven Software team behind Heretic and Hexen (Chris Rhinehart, Shane Gurno, Ben Gokey, James Sumwalt...) left to form Humanhead Studios?

You know what's really funny?

It'd be hard for them to consolize Hexen. Only a few different weapons and enemies, check. Little to no stats, check. Linear story progression, check.

The only things that stick out are the "Great Switch Hunt" hub maps and the inventory. So... do we really want a Hexen for consoles?

If they're thinking about their old titles right now, anyone else thing now would be a good time to ask about the source for Heretic II?

hervoheebo said:

So... do we really want a Hexen for consoles?

How would it be different than the Nintendo 64, Saturn, and Playstation versions?

lupinx-Kassman said:

Obviously they are really developing their next CyClones title.

If they could give it even more embarrassing filmed movie scenes, it'd become an instant cult classic.

Blzut3 said:

If they're thinking about their old titles right now, anyone else thing now would be a good time to ask about the source for Heretic II?

And Shadowcaster!

Blzut3 said:

Never gonna happen - it links with too many proprietary libraries, including Smacker and some audio stuff with patented Creative crap.

Quasar said:

Never gonna happen - it links with too many proprietary libraries, including Smacker and some audio stuff with patented Creative crap.

For what it is worth, the Linux port doesn't use Smacker. That said, wouldn't it be possible to stub the code they can't release?

Blzut3 said:

For what it is worth, the Linux port doesn't use Smacker. That said, wouldn't it be possible to stub the code they can't release?

I suppose. But it was hard enough to get them to release Heretic & Hexen, and they didn't bother changing anything in there - still has all the DMX calls :P This turned out to be helpful for reversing Strife however ;)

I think there is no room for a Hexen (Heretic maybe?) sequel because I felt the games were complete with all the Serpent Riders destroyed.

I think that a medieval FPS with modern graphics would be fucking awesome. I'd love to see a new Heretic or Hexen.

Mr. Freeze said:

I think that a medieval FPS with modern graphics would be fucking awesome. I'd love to see a new Heretic or Hexen.

Edge of Chaos is the closest thing we have. Gotta have a copy of Doom 3 though.

Quasar said:

Oh my GAWWWWWD yes yes yes yesyesyesyes. They should do this. Although, I wonder how much respect they will pay to the predecessors? I don't really want to see a Hexen rail shooter, for example :P

+1 :)

Although I'd also like to see a Heretic III. With old school layouts!

Mr. Freeze said:

Ah yes, a genre seldom-touched. Another "gothic thriller fantasy action-adventure shooter with Kevin Schilder music" game would be awesome. :D

Blzut3 said:

How would it be different than the Nintendo 64, Saturn, and Playstation versions?

Back then the game was made for PC and ported to consoles, now it's the opposite.

Blzut3 said:

This generation they started something new in the industry, where it's common practice to dumb down games for console players.

UnendingRequiem said:

This generation they started something new in the industry, where it's common practice to dumb down games for console players.

It's called "Make a game for console primarly, get shitttons of cash then port it to PC without effort because of dem pirates". Nothing new, been happening since 2006, moving on.

alterworldruler said:

It's called "Make a game for console primarly, get shitttons of cash then port it to PC without effort because of dem pirates". Nothing new, been happening since 2006, moving on.

Maybe someone should mention that console piracy is just as rampant as PC piracy, in fact, it's easier. Trust me...

I just woke up and this is about the first thing I see...

I sure as hell hope they do make another Hexen or Heretic. I tend to bitch about them leaving the fantasy stuffs in the dust with all these shooters... :p

StoneFrog said:

HECATOMB.

Can't people be more subtle? It means killing 100 cows. Sure, it's for the gods, but you can imagine that after Heretic (you), those cows may really be people treated as cattle. It's too over the top. It's like the "monster infested holocaust" mentioned in the Doom manual. Hexen makes a much better name.

The plot: members of a dark cult are ongoing a ritual where they're trying to resurrect the serpent riders. It's your duty to stop them.

OR

D'sparil has been resurrected, and now he's trying to revive his brothers. Find and confront him before his ritual succeeds and the world is doomed once and for all.

Should Tomes of Power be present in the game? What do you think?

printz said:

Can't people be more subtle? It means killing 100 cows.

And Heretic means "chooser", since "heresy" means "choice". (It really does.) The question isn't what the word means or meant, it's what they evoke. After all, Doom isn't really about a census.

The original plan for the Serpent Rider saga was to have a trilogy with each game having its own title, all starting with an H: Heretic, Hexen, Hecatomb. Hecatomb was replaced by Hexen II and the saga ended this way. Heretic II was grafted in the series as Corvus' new adventure rather than as anything related to the Serpent Riders (though they couldn't help but fill their pitifully tiny lore with a lot of glaring plot holes and inconsistencies in doing so).

printz said:

D'sparil has been resurrected, and now he's trying to revive his brothers.

Poor guy has been resurrected hundreds of times in fan mods already, can't he catch a break? Death is supposed to be eternal rest after all... :p

printz said:

Can't people be more subtle? It means killing 100 cows.

Don't look at me. "Hexen" is German for "witches", and that isn't exactly a clear reference to anything in the game either (at least compared to Heretic). Why they didn't come up with something more obscure for the would-be third game is beyond me.

printz said:

Something something resurrect the serpent riders.

OR

D'sparil has been resurrected blah blah blah.

Well, that was attempted in Portal of Praevus. How urgent and compelling it felt I don't know as I've never acquired a copy. They could do some "greater power" which would feel completely different and un-Heretic/Hexen-like, or perhaps do a prequel.

Better yet, we don't exactly know what the heroes of Hexen did with the power of the Chaos Sphere. For all they know they did a cliché'd corruption 180 turnaround thing. Of course I do prefer leaving things like this open to speculation instead of answering them.

printz said:

Should Tomes of Power be present in the game? What do you think?

They shouldnt've been in Hexen II but perhaps the Serpent Riders learnt how to create their own or something of the sort. If memory serves, Hexen II is set far enough into the future that the manual just refers to Parthoris and Corvus anonymously, the legend of Heretic being so long ago that nobody remembers their names.

StoneFrog said:

Better yet, we don't exactly know what the heroes of Hexen did with the power of the Chaos Sphere. For all they know they did a cliché'd corruption 180 turnaround thing. Of course I do prefer leaving things like this open to speculation instead of answering them.

Judging from Deathkings, they pretty much did nothing with it; at least after vainquishing Korax. Maybe the second time they grabbed it they did something with it, other than get teleported away without their weapons in a land still full of monsters... :p

Gez said:

And Heretic means "chooser", since "heresy" means "choice". (It really does.) The question isn't what the word means or meant, it's what they evoke. After all, Doom isn't really about a census.

I always assumed that it was called "Heretic" because Corvus was a heretic who fought against the Serpent-Rider-worshiping religion.