Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Clonehunter said:

Seconded.

Also, did anyone have a clue what the Hell was going on? It looked like people in mismatched clothes killing eachother.

Some of them though did look a bit more militarish, and I hope their the good guys. I hate being Rebels overthrowing empires. I want to be Empires crushing rebels!

UnendingRequiem said:

Also there's no real good guys. The freedom fighters are just trying to get on the ark and the security guys are just trying to do their job, which coincidentally is defending the ark.

I forgot I wasn't watching a movie.

also...

40oz said:

It's about time they made a video game about scifi military people shooting each other in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Oh wait.

Craigs said:

Also there's no real good guys. The freedom fighters are just trying to get on the ark and the security guys are just trying to do their job, which coincidentally is defending the ark.

So who do we get to play as? The guards right? And also, you missed my edit. I do not need that damned link.

Clonehunter said:

So who do we get to play as? The guards right? And also, you missed my edit. I do not need that damned link.

Both sides get their own campaigns I believe

So far the gameplay videos make Brink to look like a cross between Borderlands/Bulletstorm, Call of Duty, and Team Fortress 2. But I've recently heard some horrible news about it. I heard it will NOT have headshots, a global leaderboard system, or grenades that do any real damage. So far everyone is disappointed about this and many people have said that they are canceling their pre-orders and others said they won't even bother buying the game now. Are these horrible rumors true? I haven't found an official press release from Bethesda or Splash Damage confirming/denying yet. But if it is true, I probably won't buy this game.

samusaran253 said:

I heard it will NOT have headshots, a global leaderboard system, or grenades that do any real damage.

Those three elements are not what I would consider crucial to the value of the game. Since it looks highly multiplayer-based, I probably wouldn't like it much anyway, though.

Besides, head shots ruin most competitive FPS games by sheer virtue of every game devolving into who can shoot the most heads. As for the grenades, from what I understand they are used more in a support role and can knock guys down, allowing you to finish them off. I seem to remember Team Fortress' offhand grenades being similarly specialized.

samusaran253 said:

So far the gameplay videos make Brink to look like a cross between Borderlands/Bulletstorm, Call of Duty, and Team Fortress 2. But I've recently heard some horrible news about it. I heard it will NOT have headshots, a global leaderboard system, or grenades that do any real damage. So far everyone is disappointed about this and many people have said that they are canceling their pre-orders and others said they won't even bother buying the game now. Are these horrible rumors true? I haven't found an official press release from Bethesda or Splash Damage confirming/denying yet. But if it is true, I probably won't buy this game.

I've got a feeling it'll be more along the lines of no instakill head shots rather than no headshots period. My guess is for the same reason they're not including true sniper rifles: specifically to keep players from simply camping somewhere rather than constantly moving, the latter of which is pretty much the main idea of the game. As for global leader boards and no grenades, big whoop. Who gives a shit?

A lot of people apparently. People cancelling preorders because it won't be EXACTLY like Black Ops are just idiots.

I think I will buy Brink now because of the No Headshot system. I never cared for that game element anyways. Or Leaderboards, or Grenades. Well, leaderbords would be nice, I suppose, but not neccesary.

According to Wikipedia, Depending on where you buy the game, different custimization packs will come with it. If I interpreted it correctly, A Doom 3 themed pack will come with the Gamestop editions.

Snarboo said:

Besides, head shots ruin most competitive FPS games by sheer virtue of every game devolving into who can shoot the most heads. As for the grenades, from what I understand they are used more in a support role and can knock guys down, allowing you to finish them off. I seem to remember Team Fortress' offhand grenades being similarly specialized.

I think CS got frag grenades just right. Enough damage to kill someone who is already hurt or has no armor, but barely any damage to an armored player (you will survive even if it literally explodes at your feet.)

my favorite thing about grenades is grenade-jumping.

this looks like team fortress 2 meets borderlands, and the stylish "parkour" elements look half-baked from what i've seen in vids...the animation just looks very clumsy, like the character doesn't really know how to do what it is doing and should be a broken pile in the street.
no mirror's edge from what i've seen so far.

I picked up Brink today and so far it's been pretty damn fun. The main complaints I have so far are some technical issues with ATI cards that cause the game to run at a constant rate of 20 FPS (this can be fixed with a console command though), sound getting cut out, and a weird texture bug that covers everything in a grid, and shitty AI that makes single player a huge pain in the ass. It's still pretty fun though and once you unlock the light body type it gets even better since it really expands what you can do with the parkour element of the game.
To be honest though, I'd wait until they patch the game up to buy it though. It's got potential but it still needs a bit of work.

also: unlockables are insanely easy to get for the most part. All you have to do to get weapon unlocks is do the challenges which are more like tutorials than actual challenges. The only challenge that's even remotely challenging is the two star "be objective challenge" which can't even be completed due to the fact that the enemies literally respawn right next to one of the objectives.

By the looks of it, it's a massive piece of shit console-side. (Multiplayer) Lagging like mad.

Xeros612 said:

By the looks of it, it's a massive piece of shit console-side. (Multiplayer) Lagging like mad.

The console version is a mess yeah, but the PC version works just fine when it comes to multiplayer. I'm pretty sure a lot of the reviewers complaining about latency on the PC version are just assuming it's got the same issues as the 360 version.

A lot of the reviews in general from what I've seen are just kind of bullshit and seem to have more to do with the developers having no idea how to play the game properly. They do have some valid points like with the AI (For some reason the AI on your team is always completely brain dead while the AI on the other team is always extremely well coordinated and can overwhelm you before you even know what's happening) but a lot of it is just pure bullshit coming from people who have grown too accustom to your average CoD clones.

Take IGN's review for example. One of their complaints is that the grenade is completely useless, which really isn't true. They just serve a different purpose than some kind of weapon of mass destruction that you can spam over and over again like in CoD (the fact that in the video review the reviewer was tossing his grenades like 4 feet away from enemies only serves to support this).

Essentially you get infinite grenades but there's like a 15 second cool down timer before you can throw another one. In addition they have a fairly small kill radius and lengthy fuse.

But here's the thing though. They also have a considerable knock down radius (When you're knocked down you can't move for a few seconds, your vision is blurred, your accuracy turns to total shit, and I think you might take more damage than usual until you get back up).

So what you can do is toss one in a room or in the middle of a large group of people, wait for it to blow, and then wipe out anyone who was knocked down before they manage to get up, or at the very least scatter them.

Oh and it's not true that there's no instakill weapons. Shotguns can take out light body players from about 5 ft. away with a single shot and there's also a light rifle that can take out lights with a single body shot and mediums with a single headshot, at the cost of higher recoil, slower firing speed, and longer reload times than the other light rifle.

Nice to know it's out. However, as said, I'll wait until some patches are released before I go for it. But I will go for it eventually.

Clonehunter said:

Nice to know it's out. However, as said, I'll wait until some patches are released before I go for it. But I will go for it eventually.

Take your time. It's day 2 and the community's already going strong. I've got a feeling it's going to get even bigger once they release mod tools

looks a bit like a combination of borderlands, mirrors edge, and call of duty.

I dont know, I might wait a bit, especially with PSN's being down at the moment.

And Rage looks a bit more promising, anyways.

Craigs said:

The only challenge that's even remotely challenging is the two star "be objective challenge" which can't even be completed due to the fact that the enemies literally respawn right next to one of the objectives.

Keep in mind you can move while hacking, that's how I beat that challenge. Just make sure you have at least 3 bars on the hack tool.

But yeah, it's a great game. The parkour isn't as impressive as I had hoped but it's still amazing how fluid movement is. Surprisingly I have not encountered a single problem despite having an ATi card. A few maps cause the game to chug but for the most part it's smooth sailing.

My biggest complaint lies with the teammate AI: the idea is that as you improve in level and rank, so do your enemies and teammates. However, what seems to happen is that only the enemy team improves, basically making your teammates glorified meat shields. It varies wildly from map to map, though, and there have been a few maps where the enemy couldn't even complete the first objective.

I'm currently at level 11 and mostly going for Engineer perks.

Craigs said:

Take your time. It's day 2 and the community's already going strong. I've got a feeling it's going to get even bigger once they release mod tools

Good to know. :)

Craigs said:

heh, someone just linked me to this. Apparently Splash Damage doesn't think too highly of console gamers

Heh I saw that on the SA Brink thread.

Also, something else to note about challenges if you're having problems with them: try going into the campaign menu and setting the difficulty down to easy. Apparently the challenge and campaign difficulty settings are linked. If that's not enough, start a new character. Because of the way bot leveling works, playing against bots as a level 1 character is vastly easier than playing against them as a higher level character.

Man I can't wait until the technical problems die down and people start talking strategies and weapon combos.

Craigs said:

heh, someone just linked me to this. Apparently Splash Damage doesn't think too highly of console gamers
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/2570/brinkk.jpg

This sort of message should become a standard in every console shooter made henceforth. (I'm actually being serious here.) Of course, some PC games could use it too *cough*Bad Company 2 PC port*cough*.

Being classified like the rest of the console gamers is almost as demeaning as being classified with the rest of the freshman T_T

On a side note, that image was quite funny.
The one thing that gets me about this game is the character design, it seems way too "Cartoony"

It the art design. I like it. A lot of games today, or shooters should I say, don't really have any definign artstyle. They all strive for something called 'realism'. Something completely stupid and irrelevant to a game. I like seeing a shooter not striving for an all out realistic look.

Clonehunter said:

It the art design. I like it. A lot of games today, or shooters should I say, don't really have any definign artstyle. They all strive for something called 'realism'. Something completely stupid and irrelevant to a game. I like seeing a shooter not striving for an all out realistic look.

Agh, I see. I like the art design of everything, but the characters just put me off.

What you said is valid, however for the people, I have to disagree.

Been playing it for two days now. I'm loving it. But I am of course and Enemy Territory fan. Hopefully it will become a bigger E-sports title than Quake Wars did.