Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Stupid

Which Win32 port is the best?

Hi,

I need your help. I understand that since I’ve played Doom on my 386 a lot of things had changed :) So could you help me to choose the best Win32 port for Doom to run on 9x/NT/XP and be more or less stable and have a good quality? Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi <insert your name here>
Zdoom is the best source port out there,however personaly i like Legacy better.you can check the download link here

and welcome to doomworld.

Every port has its pro and cons.
The only choice you have left:

Get them all...

...if you want to be a flexible as possible ;-)

You can easy share resources...

If you prefer the port to be as similar to Vanilla Doom (unmodified dos version of Doom) as possible I can suggest Prboom, though if you want Doom to have more modern controls and features go for something like Edge or Zdoom.

I understand that "every port has its pro and cons", but I'm just asking for your personal opinion. I doubt that you are still using 386 with DOS as your gaming system. Criteria for "good" port are simple – it’s true to the original, it runs on new OSs and it doesn’t crash every five minutes. Thanks for the replies!

I doubt that you are still using 386 with DOS as your gaming system. Criteria for "good" port are simple – it’s true to the original, it runs on new OSs and it doesn’t crash every five minutes. Thanks for the replies!

I still use a 386 with DOS. On my 486 I used Win95 I will not recommend other ports. All I tried, either crashed or did some weird stuff with my comp. Doom/II was a good game, and still is for me since I don’t need better graphics to play and enjoy that game.

ZDoom. The only sane choice.

Randy should make that the slogan for ZDoom. Heh.

Zdoom is not "true to the original"
monsters open turbo doors, rocket damage is handled differently, scenery objects are solid, monsters fall off ledges, and other crap that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Prboom rules all.

Zdoom is not "true to the original"
monsters open turbo doors, rocket damage is handled differently, scenery objects are solid, monsters fall off ledges, and other crap that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Monsters fall of ledges in Vanilla Doom, if they have momentum.

Monsters are clipped upon death in ZDoom, so they don't get stuck when hitting other living sprites who halt their momentum (I think). MBF had them falling of all kinds a shit...

And on that note, MBF rules. I use ZDoom for all kinds of reasons though, it's a personal thing. You must make up your own mind...

In vanilla doom, monsters dont fall off ledges (unless they are dead). In zdoom, they can walk off certain ones they shouldnt be able to, and can be shot off all ledges, messing up gameplay in various levels where monsters are... well, are on ledges, heh.

So, it looks like we have two contenders for the first prize – prboom and zdoom. Am I correct?

So, it looks like we have two contenders for the first prize – prboom and zdoom. Am I correct?

Try both and use whichever you like best. Jeez.

PRBoom biggest drawback is the lack of mouselook, along with some weird monster behaviors (they hate stairs on my machine). ZDoom's biggest problem is that it totally sucks. Well, ok, if you like having a limited view range, buggy maps, over-sharpened sprites, and a clunky interface, be my guest.

DC

I’ve tried legacy, prboom, zdoom and zdoomgl. On my NT4.0-SP6a Legacy v1.30 works the best. Prboom hangs, zdoom and zdoomgl have strange echoing sound. Thank you everybody! Looks like it is a matter of personal preference :)

I understand that "every port has its pro and cons", but I'm just asking for your personal opinion.

Ok, MY personal opinion IS to get them all.

If you are asking for my personal favorite port: I prefer PrBoom.

Another suggestion is to use the stuff with the frontend which was developed by me for the behavior to use all ports under one roof. Since I went straight forward with developing there is also a nice little option for all those attentive readers in this thread: I have extended the MyDoom Frontend with multiplayer network capablilities, working as a distributed network client (aka peer to peer).
To get a preview of this little bugger, just drop an email to king.elvis@gmx.net and I wíll provide you the link.
It is using the well known masterserver - client technology. You can host your own chat room server or just do an one on one chat with users from the ICQ style-like online list. The stuff is currently under developement and things like voice chat support, file sharing and so on will follow. Since this stuff will also be open source software, all developers are invited to help out with developing. The basis protocol is really simple and I hope that there is somebody out there who will do the Linux-client part to get this community also involved. There is also a cooperation between the IDE (Bond's Internet Doom Explorer) and the frontend, which will allow to transfer the launch data to the frontend for further customization. Also an outside world interface has been added to the frontend which will allow to send any kind of data and information to it.
I hope the one or another new beta test will hopefully commit his / her self to this project.

All of the ports are great in their own way. Each has a step up from the rest. The split screen multiplayer in Legacy, the 3D-ness of Edge, the customizability of PRBoom, the eye candy of JDoom, and the ease of use of ZDoom. I prefer ZDoom. I can use MP3s in it, and the mouselook isn't seriously restriced like most of the others (my biggest pet peave). I can't stand not being able to look straight up and down. But when I tries Edge and Legacy and the looking was locked at 45 degrees? Blech! So my answer is ZDoom easy to use, options galore, better mouse look, MP3 support, and the list goes on and on.

What are you talking about Elbryan? ZDoom is the only one that restricts my view at all. Legacy (at least in OpenGL mode) lets you look wherever you want, and EDGE is just as easy in its candy-viewing goodness.

DC

get zdoom for more freatures. however if u want to see doom in stable openGL get legacy, if u have a 3dcard. personaly the best i say is zdoom but i use legacy most of the time for the openGL. if i play doom in its original "software" render i play on the original engine unless i am playing newer maps

ZDoom and PRBoom are the only ports that allow me to look straight up or down. Legacy and Edge only allow me to look up at about a 45 degree angle. It really pisses me off.

Maybe it's a bug?

ZDoom and PRBoom are the only ports that allow me to look straight up or down. Legacy and Edge only allow me to look up at about a 45 degree angle. It really pisses me off.

Maybe it's a bug?

what you say!!!

Different ports definitely suit different situations and uses and so King Elvis's advice is good,get them all and try them all.
Yeah,interesting points about Legacy free-look only being about 45deg up&down but in opengl is 90deg,why is that? I've used ZDoom and Legacy an awful lot over the past coupla years and one thing I've noticed is that the movement of the monsters in Legacy is not particularly good when narrow corridors or tight corners are involved,they get restricted or 'stuck' in some cases and this certainly changes the gameplay,no problems in ZDoom.But yeah the behavior in ZDoom,particularly rocket damage is noticably different to vanilla,this also changes the gameplay.Legacy and ZDoom certainly have ease of use and options in their favor,Legacy being the easiest to use IMO.But for the original feel of vanilla PRBoom is great.