Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Double Down

Ralphis & RottKing's Ultimate Doom episode replacement, Double Impact, has received an official release on Unidoom.org. Double Impact was in development for almost a year and a half and featured a unique mapping style in which the two authors would build small portions of the map, usually a room or two at a time, and send it back and forth to each other until the map was complete. The episode has been optimized for both single and cooperative play.

Yup! Wad releases are news. More mappers should be pimping their work in News Submissions, really.

especially since releases get buried really fast in wads&mods

dew said:

especially since releases get buried really fast in wads&mods

that and no one seems to want to do dirty work in the /newstuff Review Center so that we can clear out a months-old queue of wads waiting to find a home in some reviewer's lap. =p

Traysandor said:

waiting to find a home in some reviewer's lap.

It worked! My horrendously overproduced orphanage metaphor has finally found peace!

Seriously though, adopt a wad today.

This is a great episode. Good work guys. Even with (mostly) just episode 1 monsters it's challenging enough to keep me focused, and the secrets are (relatively) easy to find so I don't have to miss them all and then feel like an idiot.

I wish I could post my latest wad releases on the front page of Doomworld. That would be the best way of getting the most people to play my stuff.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but how come certain releases are deemed high-profile enough to post a thread about them on the Doomworld front page? And who decides what is a high-profile release and what isn't?

Like I said, this isn't an attack on anyone, I'm actually legitimately interested in how the site works.

Vordakk said:

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but how come certain releases are deemed high-profile enough to post a thread about them on the Doomworld front page? And who decides what is a high-profile release and what isn't?

Well, let's see:

Ralphis said:

Ralphis & RottKing's Ultimate Doom episode replacement, Double Impact, has received an official release blah blah blah

It seems Ralphis decided that Ralphis' mod was high profile enough!

Jimmy91 said:

Jimmy has been hard at work over the last few months composing a new original MIDI soundtrack blah blah blah

It seems Jimmy91 decided that Jimmy's album was high profile enough!

The Ultimate DooMer said:

After 5-3/4 years in development, the Hexen project known as Serpent: Resurrection has been released blah blah blah

It seems The Ultimate DooMer decided that The Ultimate DooMer's project was high profile enough! (Yeah, he didn't namedrop the author in the blurb, but Serpent: Resurrection was made by The Ultimate DooMer.)

So, uh, I guess this is all decided by a shadowy council of secret judges, and not by authors who deem their own stuff good enough to deserve some front page pimpage.

I'd imagine that, before it gets approved for being in the news section, the thread and the .wad are given a little scrutiny, otherwise every map people release might as well be front page news. Given that we still see roughly one new .wad per day (if the /newstuff review centre is anything to go by) I'd say only try and get your stuff on the front page if you know its going to be some hot shit, you've been working on it for ages and its got a big following... or you love yourself insufferably.

Thanks guys, both replies were helpful. I definitely don't have designs on trying to pimp my own project on the front page (because it's NOWHERE near good enough being the main reason), but I genuinely wondered how others did it.

Also, I wasn't at all insinuating that certain wads weren't newsworthy (or that they necessarily were either).

Just finished it and it's indeed great. Fun challenging gameplay, cool secrets, and I really liked the nonlinearity of the maps with all the opporunities for exploration (though I did get lost two or three times). Nice detail, too; seems to establish more consistently in the later maps. The last map was too hard for me, too many Cyberdemons, although I appreciated the twist to gameplay the whole setup added.
Thanks for this highly enjoyable episode.

Awesome work, guys!

Very few "classic" maps come this close to capturing the style of E1 and E2. The texturing, lighting, and dimensioning seems mostly spot on, with good use of height differences and non-orthogonal geometry, and lots of little nice touches. The maps do seem to suffer a bit from random corridor syndrome, lacking memorable central areas and perhaps with a tad too much avoidance of symmetry, but very nice overall.

Of course, the size of the maps and amount of monsters isn't anything like the original maps, but that's fine for an episode designed for players living in 2010/11.

Also, kudos for newsing this; I would've missed it otherwise. The /newstuff signal-to-noise ratio is too low for some of us these days.