Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueEagle

Doom4 released before Rage? Still no info?

Hi guys!

I've recently tried to find any kind of information about Doom4 on the interwebs, but found nothing. It seems kinda odd because the only information I've found was that John Carmack said that they're gonna release Doom4 before Rage is out.

John Carmack:
The Doom team are all sped up and working on this technology base – I’m not really at liberty to discuss much about it, but it’s going full steam ahead right now. It shouldn’t take as long to ship as Rage. It’s already in the pipeline and we feel good about it.

I'm a little confused - or did I overlook something? How comes that id releases much more information about Rage then Doom4? Isn't Doom kinda like their main franchise? Gets me a little worried about the quality Doom4 is going to have when it takes them so long just to show anything at all of it... what do you think about that?

Quote source:
http://www.geek.com/articles/games/carmack-to-reveal-new-game-at-quakecon-today-doom-4-out-before-rage-20100812/

First off, I'd take anything Carmack says about how long any given game might take to get released with a pinch of salt, all due respects to him. Back in '04 the promise was that Rage wouldn't take as long as Doom 3 did. Which turned out to be a little too ambitious, I would say :p

Besides that, in this instance you're misreading what he's saying. What is meant is that Doom4 won't take as long as Rage has taken thus far. But again, time will tell.

DoomUK said:

Besides that, in this instance you're misreading what he's saying. What is meant is that Doom4 won't take as long as Rage has taken thus far. But again, time will tell.

That's my reading as well. Remember that Rage development was started before Doom 4's.

If you run a marathon in three hours, did you take longer than somebody who ran the same in four hours but started two hours earlier and thus arrived at the finish line before you?

I'm glad they're keeping a tight lid on Doom 4. I wish other developers wouldn't show as much as they do before a game gets released. If I had it my way, games would be announced a month away from release. :p

I already know too much about Skyrim and Rage. heh.

BlueEagle said:

Hi guys!

I've recently tried to find any kind of information about Doom4 on the interwebs, but found nothing. It seems kinda odd because the only information I've found was that John Carmack said that they're gonna release Doom4 before Rage is out.

I'm a little confused - or did I overlook something? How comes that id releases much more information about Rage then Doom4? Isn't Doom kinda like their main franchise? Gets me a little worried about the quality Doom4 is going to have when it takes them so long just to show anything at all of it... what do you think about that?

Quote source:
http://www.geek.com/articles/games/carmack-to-reveal-new-game-at-quakecon-today-doom-4-out-before-rage-20100812/

No, he's saying Doom 4 will take less time to make from whenever they started it. Given that Rage was started several years ago and Doom 4 long after, it could still come out a long time after Rage.

I like how things like this are misinterpreted by the people who post these news, which inadvertantly misinforms others (just from looking at the title).

Doom 4 will use Rage engine as I heard. Or is it false? Because if it's true, Doom 4 can't relase before Rage :D

Captain Toenail said:

Doom4 details may be revealed at e3 in June.

Hurray! =) I already waited it

Katamori said:

Hurray! =) I already waited it

E3 is one of my favorite summer events. Sit there, turn on the TV, go to G4Tv, watch what ever cool stuff may be coming out. If doom4 is on it, then it changed it self for the better and made it a must see!

yellowmadness54 said:

E3 is one of my favorite summer events. Sit there, turn on the TV, go to G4Tv, watch what ever cool stuff may be coming out. If doom4 is on it, then it changed it self for the better and made it a must see!

Sadly, I live in Central Europe. where we don't know this channel. But I can watch the interesting things on the Internet, if I want

Katamori said:

Doom 4 will use Rage engine as I heard. Or is it false? Because if it's true, Doom 4 can't relase before Rage :D

Sure it could. The games are being developed in parallel. It could be they have already finished Doom 4 and are ready to release, but have kept it a secret. It's very unlikely based on their history and on the wording of the info they gave out, but it could happen.

WOuldn't get your hopes up though, it's been promised to appear at e3 since 2008, nothing yet. Quakecon would be more likely.

I ran into John Carmack at Quakecon last year. We snorted some cocaine, dropped a bit of acid, and he accidentally revealed that Duke Nukem Forever is actually Doom 4.

I wouldn't care at all. If it was worth paying for, I'd consider buying it. If not (as in most cases), I'd simply not bother.

Of course, I probably won't actually buy the game itself until 2020 or so, anyway.

I wouldn't bother with buying the DLC unless it interested me.

Though what I wonder is what if Doom 4 had DRM? (which is what I misinterpreted your post as at first)

Doesn't DRM qualify as any disc security system that requires you to, for example, have the CD in the tray in order to be able to play the game, and be unable to just burn copies, because they *won't* work? If so, then most of my games have been having this, so it's nothing new if Doom 4 gets it.

DLC? I see no harm in game companies asking for money for the expansions they make.

As long as it isn't DA2-style "$10 SWORD OF CLEAVEANSMITE" bullshit, I wouldn't care.

I dont think it will make a difference.

But if it were a map pack for the game, and some stupid name like "Op Strike Force map pack", and was priced at $15, then no, I may not get it...or DOOM4 for that fact.

Mithran Denizen said:

Of course, I probably won't actually buy the game itself until 2020 or so, anyway.

Heh I don't think I could wait that long, but by that time, there will be a "Gold edition" with everything people paid for, for free.

If it was the only way to get mods - including user-created content - I wouldn't be happy.

GreyGhost said:

If it was the only way to get mods - including user-created content - I wouldn't be happy.

Basically this. Similarly, I would hope that it is actually an "expansion" not a "the game you bought is incomplete and now you can pay more for what is missing." sort-a deal. Kind of like making a full game, then locking 3/4ths of it on the cd and calling it "downloadable content".

lupinx-Kassman said:

Basically this. Similarly, I would hope that it is actually an "expansion" not a "the game you bought is incomplete and now you can pay more for what is missing." sort-a deal. Kind of like making a full game, then locking 3/4ths of it on the cd and calling it "downloadable content".

I think BFBC2 did that. I also disliked how their "map packs" were just recycling the same crappy maps unto other game modes.

But back on topic, if it is an actual expansion or mission pack (which would be cool), then yeah, I'd get it for sure. But if it even relates to multiplayer (which I hope is a very little factor in the final result) then no, it would be a useless piece of turd.

Clonehunter said:

Multiplayer in Doom 4 should be just as big as it was with Doom. Unless you meant something else.

I mean it shouldn't be the main focus of the game, or be the largest part of it.

Just the old school taking smaller bits from the maps from campaign, throwing spawn points in it, and let the killing start.

the singleplayer (and maybe co-op) should be the main focus of the game, as it was with all ID games except quake 3.

It depends on how it's done. If it's something like F.E.A.R. 2's Reborn expansion that can be beaten in just over an hour on normal, or BC2's awesome "this content is already on the disc, but you have to pay to unlock it! Oh, and this other stuff... if you bought used to save money, then fuck you. $15, and we'll let you have it." system, I'm not going to be happy.