Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TropicalDeathPunch

Solicitation for some ones old map.

I'm kinda drawing a blank on some of the ideas I have for a map right now and would like to ask the community if a couple of you might have some old maps laying around that a noob like my self could tinker with.
I figure it might be worth the experience!
I'm using DB2 and I launch from ZDoom.
Thanks folks.

Thanks! will take a look at these shortly.

[edit]

Whoa. That multi-player map looks nuts!
Both of the wads you guys posted are quite unique. This will most definitely expand some horizons.

Here's one of mine:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hnbgvc

It was meant to be a classic-style map with no new resources, which would include themes from all 3 episodes in one map. As you can see I only ever did most of the E1-themed part, but it's not a bad map and I think somebody with more motivation could expand on it pretty easily.

So I was thinking that Doomworld really needs a thread like this. A thread where people can dump stuff that they can't be bothered/don't know what do do with/don't have time/lost interest, and this could create a big pool of maps for other mappers to finish. In the hands of good mappers, polishing maps to completion could mean quite a few more quality maps floating around.

Of course, this creates the issue of a really good almost finished map being destroyed by some ruba-type mapper, so perhaps some sort of system for exchanging maps or something might work. Or then again, if you are giving it away, they you obviously shouldn't mind too much what happens to it.

Am getting a bit ahead of myself here, but would be good to have some sort of mapping marketplace thread like this.

AND ON THAT NOTE...

StupidBunny said:

Here's one of mine:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hnbgvc

It was meant to be a classic-style map with no new resources, which would include themes from all 3 episodes in one map. As you can see I only ever did most of the E1-themed part, but it's not a bad map and I think somebody with more motivation could expand on it pretty easily.

OOoh OOooh OOOh. Me me me.

Of course, this is your thread TropicalDeathPunch, so obviously you get first grab at this map. But with your permission, I would like to steal this one out from under everyone's noses...

I have grand plans for this one.

Also, I like StupidBunny maps, having worked on one before for the CLaustrophobia1024 series.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

So I was thinking that Doomworld really needs a thread like this. A thread where people can dump stuff that they can't be bothered/don't know what do do with/don't have time/lost interest, and this could create a big pool of maps for other mappers to finish. In the hands of good mappers, polishing maps to completion could mean quite a few more quality maps floating around.

I wonder if Dee still has plans for Doom Limbo, which is pretty much what you're describing here (and you might remember from before, you posted in the thread under your previous user login).

I have some stuff that I'd donate to such a site.

EDIT: Also, could be an idea for a community project... Those who don't intend to finish their maps can offer them up for saviour for those who have time but lacking the inspiration to get started. The best finished efforts could be co-credited and compiled in a community (mega)wad. DW Lost Levels.

@Kyka

Sure thing! I might still down load it to play with it later, but the rest is on you.

As far as crediting goes upon release of any map, I would suggest that all following posts state as Marnetmar did at the bottom of his post.
If you still want credit for the design layout or original idea, then do so publicly in your post along with the map. By making things clear from the get go, we should be able to avoid quite a few issues.
(Ultimately all things here in to be decided by mods of course!)
And I agree that a "Map Dump" is a good idea so long as is it's not three lines and a one sector big.

Hell Z, these maps (except MAP05) are actually cropped from a bigger wad. As I wanted actually to publish this as a community project when I was a noob, canceled of course because... Well play it.

Actually, when I was a noob I was more creative than now, today I have to play until I get an inspiration.

EDIT: For Zdoom

There's one ZDoom map that I started working on last summer. It was supposed to be a huge (TEH BIGEZT MAP EVA!!!) system of canyons all connected to an enormous lava-filled crater. Eventually I got bored with it after only completing the first two canyon areas, and started working on other things. It was the first level I made which was detailed decently (In some parts) and didn't look like something out of 1994. I'd be interested in seeing how someone else could fix it up, and i'll post it here next time I access the hard drive with it.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Of course, this creates the issue of a really good almost finished map being destroyed by some ruba-type mapper, so perhaps some sort of system for exchanging maps or something might work. Or then again, if you are giving it away, they you obviously shouldn't mind too much what happens to it.

Am getting a bit ahead of myself here, but would be good to have some sort of mapping marketplace thread like this.

I like this idea. I'm sure there are countless unfinished maps with lots of potential lying around out there, and plenty of interested mappers who could successfully expand on them. I think it would be fair if multiple people could do work on the same map (provided credit remained of course) and it would in fact be interesting to see what different people do with the same base material. Plus, as you say, it would be preferable if the person doing the editing knew what they were doing (I trust you to do something cool with my map though, don't worry.)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tvayis

Here's "Cosmos", another map which I will never finish. It's one of my older maps, and the age definitely shows in places...it's a ZDoom map which I intended to be very large and intricate, but it was probably just too ambitious with too little concept of exactly where I wanted it to go. Go nuts, whoever wants it.

C30N9 said:

Hell Z, these maps (except MAP05) are actually cropped from a bigger wad.

Speaking of Hell Z, I have an old map laying around from that project...Maybe it's still on my drive somewhere.

Oh yeah I remember about that, it would be nice publishing it if you find it.

Nice thread, IMO should be moved to Wads and Mods.

I got an old map that had some nice ideas and a DooM 2 meets Darkening E1 feel but it also had clashing texturing and I was a noob at the time I worked on it so there are theming clashes as well which eventually drove me insane to get "right", and I still haven't got it "right" :P.

If you wanna see screenshots http://www.wadsinprogress.info/?a=listwads&wad=1457

Edit:

Here's the map. If anyone's interested, feel free to dissect it and take the better areas :P https://rapidshare.com/files/458542478/And_so_is_life....wad

Your gonna need idkfa and iddqd to kill all the monsters.