Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
t.v.

What is a good source port for Quake?

I recently acquired the add-on for Quake: "Quake Mission Pack No. 2: Dissolution of Eternity".
But I don't know how to start it up with Quake in Windows XP.

What source port could I use for this?
I found Quake Injector but it requires Java... there must be others out there...

thanks in advance.

"quake -rogue" should be enough I think. At least, darkplaces -rogue and fteqw -rogue both work with the corresponding source ports.

I played through both Quake addons recently in DarkPlaces. With the exception of a bug in Scourge of Armagon, I had no problems with that port.

For further insights, see these threads. ;)

The -rogue and -hipnotic (first addon) switches work for all ports back to the original ones. And all major and minor ports support the missionpacks.

I recommend Fitzquake over anything. If you're having trouble getting a port to run on your system, try DirectQ (which uses Direct3D instead of OpenGL).

I downloaded TyrQuake (because it seemed closest to the original Quake) and it works!

thanks guys!

one more question:

when I start Quake it starts in default resolution in a window.
How can I fix it so it starts in another resolution in fullscreen?

Is there a way to do this with the config.cfg file or with a bat file?

thanks again.

It should start in fullscreen mode right away. In software ports you can change the window/fullscreen resolution in the options menu - press 'd' to make the new resolution the default one to write to the config. GL ports are awkward in this respect as they require command line options to set the resolution: "-width 1024 -height 768 -bpp 32". The first three ports mentioned above support ingame resolution changes.

Dunno if it qualifies as a source port, but Tenebrae Quake is imo the prettiest way to play the original game. I think it would work with the expansion packs too.

Sadly, the project seems to have been forgotten about and the download link on the project site is no longer working. But if you ask around I'm sure you can find someone willing to help you out. I'd share it myself if I still had the files on my system :(

Tenebrae is widely considered barely more than a tech demo that has many issues. If you want over-the-top eyecandy, you can achieve pretty much the same with DP and the available replacement material. Tenebrae binaries are mirrored at Quaddicted if you need them.

I really like DirectQ. If you follow the dev blog you'll start to appreciate the immense amount of work mh has put into fixing all the visual problems with GLQuake: fixed overbrights, model shading, software-like underwater warp, etc. It's the best for a vanilla look'n'feel without losing hardware acceleration, although it does have some options for visual effects.

ok, everything works fine now.

thanks everyone!

this thread can now be closed...