Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

DOOM 4 to be 'More of a Cinematic Experience" Says Carmack

http://helldescent.com/2011/04/12/doom-4-to-be-more-cinematic/

John Carmack, who is partially responsible for the creation of the FPS genre, has said a few words about Doom 4 while being asked by Now Gamer about id’s new game, Rage.

“You can’t control the cinematic experiences as well [in first-person], but you do get that level of intensity, and that level of shock and surprise where it’s not you watching the guy on the screen, it’s projecting you into the game. That’s the core value of it, and that’s still what we’re working on.”

“Doom 4 is more of a cinematic experience – but Rage is very much the classic exciting, immersive, intensive experience. And I think it’s a stable genre, and I think there’ll be FPSs forever after, and I’m happy with that legacy.”

What does this mean for Doom 4? More immersion? Play interactivity through Kinect or PlayStation Move? 3D? Who knows, but let’s hope it’s good. Rage is coming along nicely, and is often being called one of the more recent “best” looking games in terms of graphics and running power. Now lets just throw some good old fashioned hell into the situation and give us an epic sequel to Doom.

I don't even really understand what he said. So, games that are "exciting, immersive and intensive" are mutually exclusive from "cinematic" games? What exactly does he mean by "cinematic" in this context, anyway? This is ultimately pretty meaningless feedback, unfortunately.

Awesome! Doom 4 will have such level of realism it'll blow our minds and make us wonder if demons actually are real! Oh the nightmares that are gonna follow...

It took me a few re-reads to get the meaning of the first quote dur durr :O

For any other slow people out there, sounds like Rage will be less cutscenes and moar actionz.

Are the id guys working on both games at the same time?

Well that was a little ambiguous. From what I understood I lost a bit of hope for Doom4 with that quote.

Well I'll be picking up both Rage and Doom4 on Xbox 360 when they come out. If Doom's not any good, Rage should be. :)

Also:

Are the id guys working on both games at the same time?

Yes.

Megamur said:

What exactly does he mean by "cinematic" in this context, anyway?

Boring, uninvolved, and long-winded apparently :P

Ok, after reading this I predict regenerating health and being able to carry only three weapons.If this happens DOOM 4 is gonna suck even more than DOOM 3 and it will cheapen ID Software's name so much because.They are supposed to be ORIGINAL not copy modern failware 2...
Apparently big game companies don't realise that expectations go higher each time they realease a really good game(DOOM 1,2 etc)

DooM_RO said:

Ok, after reading this I predict regenerating health and being able to carry only three weapons.If this happens DOOM 4 is gonna suck even more than DOOM 3 and it will cheapen ID Software's name so much because.They are supposed to be ORIGINAL not copy modern failware 2...
Apparently big game companies don't realise that expectations go higher each time they realease a really good game(DOOM 1,2 etc)

Just because Carmack said it would be more cimenatic than rage doesn't say anything. Don't be so paranoid.

I'm curious as to why anyone would still indulge a moments time with someone who won't tell you a damned thing no matter how or where you ask the same questions 50 times. The way I see it, word of mouth is still the best choice when it comes to making a decision on purchasing a game. I'll wait till after the reviews.

I think most people realize id's best work is back in the 90's, it's not impossible but i just don't see them making the impact they did back then again, Doom 3 followed trends set by other games and so will probably Doom4 and Rage, they stopped leading the pack.

One of the major differences in modern FPS is that you feel like you are on a movie set, especially in Crysis 2 it felt like i was walking around a mock set. Games from the 90's felt like very basic but independent worlds\environments, like little contained worlds.

Of course it could just be that my imagination was more vivid back then but it feels true as i say it.

I look forward to Doom4 and Rage though, i just like the FPS genre in general, if anybody has an old Xbox see if you can track down Breakout, it wasn't perfect but had some groundbreaking presentation that will hopefully start to show up in some modern games. (it really was first person)

ITT: people judging games before they have even seen pictures or trailers and most of all,before even playing it. I'm sure Doom 4 will be mindblowing exprience and same time setting new standards for fps games. When it comes out I'm gonna play it like there's no tomorrow.

I dunno, i'v never had my 'mind blown' by a game (although GodHand blew my pants), maybe that is why people end up being dissapointed. Doom4\Rage will definitely be fun like all their other games, just don't pay attention to the media hype or bullshit quotes.

Waffenak said:

I'm sure Doom 4 will be mindblowing exprience and same time setting new standards for fps games.

I thought it was obvious I was sarcastic. We have every reason to be skeptical, because "cinematic game" means "interactive movie", more or less (at best, it means photorealistic graphics, which while nice, aren't the optimal way to spend your time making a solid game as a designer).

printz said:

I thought it was obvious I was sarcastic.

It wasn't response to your post,I was serious,but "interactive movies" were back in the days when philip cdi-consoles were new. I dont think Doom 4 will be anything like that. I think it will be awesome looking and same time playable/joyable

Well you got them games like heavy rain that would pass for interactive movies but i think Doom 4 should be fine. Doom 4 at worst will be the same as Doom 3 which was a good game, it just bored a lot of the fans.

Doomsfall said:

I hope it will have mod support because I have a bad feeling it wont. :P

Same here. I don't think the new Wolfenstein had any mod features.

old news, i saw all the same whiners before doom 3 came out and they judged the game off its expectations instead of the game itself. go ahead and ruin the game for yourselves, I'll sit back and relax, wait for it to come out, then see what its like and likely enjoy it more. doom 3 was great if your expectations weren't just to have old doom with updated graphics

so...doom4 will be a more interactive version of the doom movie?

I'm not understanding the meaning of this passedge.

I'm going to still remain optimistic, I know ID cant mess up as bad as EA, infinity ward, etc.

I mean, come on, its doom. you cant go wrong.

I *REALLY* don't think people want a cinematic experience from DOOM. They want quick, run & gun action against cool enemies.

Unless cinematic experience means widescreen with awesome martian backdrops and a 100 meter tall cyber demon walking in the background blowing up a city as you play.... I could see that working.