Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spadeKing23

My first wad - The Doom extended

To all Doom fans, I have started a new mod, the DooM EXTENDED. It might not be such a blast as a few mods out there but this is my first mod so if anyone has some advice I'm happy to hear it. Well here's an older trailer of the gameplay, though it's not even close to the final version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhb-xSwQlGo

I will upload a new trailer soon... Tell me what you think.

Well as the name implies, it's an extended edition of The Ultimate Doom. It has some new weapons, a lot of new bad guys, remastered mp3 music, a few new sound effects, some additional secrets (like a Plasma Rifle in Episode 1), and at a few places, modifications in the textures, like at E2M8 you get to pick up the skullkey from the boss and press the exit switch in a room where blood is spilling out, like a real opening to hell. Well of course this is still in progress, and I haven't done any scripting because I don't know anything about it, but it's a little more than a weapons and monster mod. :)

i dont reconize that map in the video at all.

The only thing i gotta say is theres no consistancy in this wad, it just looks like a bunch of random resources crammed into 1 wad.

Everyone has to start somewhere i guess, keep up the good work.

spadeKing23 didn't say:
It has some borrowed weapons, a lot of borrowed bad guys, borrowed mp3 music, a few borrowed sound effects...

FTFY

In all seriousness...it's not the worst idea for a WAD, it's just not anything particularly exciting really. Adding resources from other WADs and a few extra sectors isn't something particularly new, and while I encourage you to keep at it for practice or whatever I can't say it looks all that innovative.

@AlwaysDoomed: It's E2M5.

Megamur said:

Technically, isn't it illegal to use the SSG sprites in a DOOM 1 WAD?

Yea, you cannot distribute the DOOM2.WAD SSG sprites in a PWAD. The sprites would have to be a non-id work in order to actually make it into the archives.

I'm pretty sure modifying levels of the original IWAD is 'illegal' as well, and still something the idgames folks wouldn't accept. just give it another 10 years though and I'm sure they'll ease up. back in my day you couldn't add textures from final doom to doom(2) levels.

NaturalTvventy said:

I'm pretty sure modifying levels of the original IWAD is 'illegal' as well, and still something the idgames folks wouldn't accept. just give it another 10 years though and I'm sure they'll ease up. back in my day you couldn't add textures from final doom to doom(2) levels.

Why not just use the Final Doom iwad though?

Marnetmar said:

that was just an example... any resources from any IWAD couldn't be mixed and matched.

Marnetmar said:

Because not nearly as many people have Final DOOM as DOOM & DOOM II, and since FD is so close to DOOM II anyway, it seems a bit silly to bother making mods specifically for it.

NaturalTvventy said:

I'm pretty sure modifying levels of the original IWAD is 'illegal' as well, and still something the idgames folks wouldn't accept.

I believe modifying and distributing id's maps was specifically allowed by the company so long as you don't reuse assets from one game in a mod for another. It is against the idgames archives policy, though (but more for quality control reasons than legal ones, I think).

Alwaysdoomed said:

i dont reconize that map in the video at all.

The only thing i gotta say is theres no consistancy in this wad, it just looks like a bunch of random resources crammed into 1 wad.

Everyone has to start somewhere i guess, keep up the good work.

Well, that is a default Doom level right there. I think the video is just showing the game with this mods additions.

Why so harsh? Encourage creativity and continuation of the Doom world. Anything proactive is praisable.

If those are actual words, then I stick by them.

Well done my spade friend, keep up the good work and keep giving to the community

Mithran Denizen said:

So you're taking a bunch of stuff from Realm667 and pasting it into a slightly modified version of Ultimate Doom? Sounds pretty original.

That's a low (apparently the lowest) form of wit, and it isn't really funny tbh, just a bit upsetting,

give the guy a break it's his first

phobosdeimos1 said:

Why so harsh? Encourage creativity and continuation of the Doom world.

I don't see much harshness in this thread at all. A couple of people said the mod looked unoriginal, and a couple of people encouraged spadeKing to stick with it before the thread was derailed by the bit about the SSG graphics and Final Doom. Also, I don't believe there's much 'creativity' needed to cram a bunch of other peoples' weapons, monsters, music and sounds into a bunch of other peoples' maps. It's a great way to learn the basics, but rarely interesting or fun to play.

phobosdeimos1 said:

That's a low (apparently the lowest) form of wit, and it isn't really funny tbh, just a bit upsetting,

It wasn't meant to be funny, nor witty. It was a straightforward use of sarcasm to question the original poster's level of creativity. If he doesn't want to hear our comments and honest opinions about his work, he should keep it to himself.

With that said, I hope you keep at it, spadeKing, and I hope you succeed at whatever your goals are here; perhaps your next project will be something more interesting.

Another poorly made AEoD copy.Except...AEoD has some original sprites and ideas.I think I'll give this project a pass.

Well yes I'm an amateur and to be honest I didn't want to make something original, and of course if I wanted to make a Megawad or something I would need a few more months of practise, but as I've said the trailer is old and by now I have changed the SSG into a Single-Barrelled Shotgun with the same firepower. And yeah none of the things in the game were actually made by me and I don't want my first WAD to be like any of the greater mods out there. It's just a little expansion of DooM and I will upload it and you'll either download it or not. It's that simple. I like Doom the way it is and if I made the entire thing change would it be original? Yes. Would it be good? Not much of a chance. So if you don't like it I understand cause it's my first. But I want to learn from my mistakes and see if I can make my second WAD better...

at least you are putting forth the effort to actually learn and do something of your own, rather than sitting back and playing the mods that other people are creating.
realistically though, mods like these are better for your own private practice. most people won't play it simply because there are just so many other mods out there that are more interesting. don't give up though! use this practice to make your next project better. and upload that new video. maybe things have progressed enough to change everyone's opinion.

Yeah well by now I've learned that I shouldn't have posted a thread about it, I should have only uploaded it to the idgames database and those who liked it would've downloaded it but if there's already a thread about I should post some new screenshots:

http://img824.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201104151.png/
http://img3.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201104151.png/
http://img718.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201104151.png/
http://img96.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201104151.png/
http://img811.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201104151.png/
http://img64.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201104151.png/
http://img202.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201104151.png/
http://img806.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201104151.png/
http://img121.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201104151.png/

Oh and yeah I could've made it a lot better but I don't have the free time I used to have when I started it :( but anyways I'll upload it and those who like it can download it.

spadeKing23 said:

I should have only uploaded it to the idgames database
[snip]
I'll upload it and those who like it can download it.

Not to be a killjoy, but:

Ty Halderman said:

1. Don't upload anything that's based on or modified versions of the original levels of any of the id Software games.

spadeKing23 said:

Oh and yeah I could've made it a lot better but I don't have the free time I used to have when I started it :( but anyways I'll upload it and those who like it can download it.

This isn't really a reason; you're not working on a deadline here.

If you enjoy working on your project, there's nothing keeping you from continuing to work on it now and then in however much time you do feel able allotting to it, gradually over a long period of time, until you've accomplished what you want to make. It'll take longer, but releasing something half-assed, visibly sloppy, and incomplete is a waste of both yours and everyone else's time.

Well yeah of course I'm not on a deadline but I've got a life besides games and unfortunately nowadays I have to work on that a lot as well.
So all right I get the picture, I will upload it to a file sharing site and thats it. :)