Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NightmareZer0

Wish me luck... [Mega Man X2 and Guinness Record]

So I was at Gamestop the other day and I happened to pick up the Guinness Book of World Records (Gaming Edition). And for shits and giggles I looked up the Fastest Mega Man X2 time (52 minutes and 12 seconds). I quickly got a big smile on my face because I've beaten the game in 45 minutes before. I just got a copy of X2 in the mail today and I have a SNES so I'm going to attempt to break the record. I'm shooting for about 45 minutes or so (I'd settle for 50 minutes). Now I know that the SDA has a run that is in 32 minutes but I don't think I can beat that. But I know I can break the Guinness record. Wish me luck guys..

Just out of curiosity, what's the time for Mega Man X? I know that game pretty well and while I may not be able to break a record or anything like that, I'd be curious to see how well I stack up.

Heh, the three Megaman X games for SNES are probably my favorite games for that system. Although I am pretty doubtful it would happen, it would be cool if another SNES style Megaman X game was made kind of like the NES style Megaman 9. Oh, and good luck Imp.

I am going to make a video soon of me playing X2 on an emulator and put it on Youtube I'll post a link when I complete and upload the run.

I doubt they'll count an emulator run, plus doesn't some dude have to come out and watch you do it

It'll still give him some credibility in pursuit what he is trying to do, even if playing on an emulator is technically not acceptable to beat the Guinness Record.

Ralphis said:

I doubt they'll count an emulator run, plus doesn't some dude have to come out and watch you do it

No, like the video I suggested, a video tape is what you need. You need to set up a analogue camera at the screen, you DO need to use a cart and system. Recording digitally leaves you open to editing accusations. There is a person who "refs" for console games, but I don't know who.

Please contact Guinness for all the rules. But you might as well record a run for practice sake.

The original post mentioned playing it on a real SNES.

I find the idea that it must be a cam pointed at a television to be rather silly. Speed Demos Archive says that's a big no-no, primarily for quality purposes; most of those videos are recorded on a VCR directly from the console.

Also I find it amusing that a book of World "Records" has so obvious non-records... just says the book's a scam :P

The Guinness World Record for games is fucking awful. A few of the students in school had it and I was browsing it (Mr. Browning you like games? blah blah). The records were stupid or just not true. I recall reading a few articles that had some factually inaccurate "firsts" of a genre or something.

Oh yeah, and good luck ;P

chungy said:

The original post mentioned playing it on a real SNES.

Yeah I should of made it a little clearer. The emulated run I'm doing is a practice run.

I think that the Guinness record compilers sometimes lift records from the Speed Demos Archive, which would mean that Guinness considers the SDA's process as reputable. It's odd that they wouldn't in this instance.

The Gamer's Edition usually gets its numbers from Twin Galaxies, but what's weird is that the only record time listed on their site is 54:14, and that's for a "Total Completion" run with some mandatory gathering of extra upgrades. Where did this 52:12 come from?

Scuba Steve said:

The Guinness World Record for games is fucking awful.

Anything that's "for gamers" but not by gamers is always awful.

Mega Man X2 speed run.

5 minutes for the rest of the game.

40 minutes waiting for Wheel Gator to jump out of the water.

I have a friend who I've watched beat Super Metroid faster than any speedruns I've seen.

This Guinness book sounds dubious.

Danarchy said:

I have a friend who I've watched beat Super Metroid faster than any speedruns I've seen.

This Guinness book sounds dubious.

Yeah, because Guinness HQ can sense whenever a record has been broken via a psychic cyborg located at their moon base.

I'm just saying they should at least have all the publicly-known speedrun times down, which they obviously don't.