Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ultraboy94

How do you captialise Doom?

So I've noticed over the net people tend to use different capitals on the game. I've tried different ways before but tend to stick to Doom... Which do you usually use to identify the game?

Doom?
DOOM?
DooM?
doom?
d00m?

QUICK EDIT: I can't seem to find a poll option. I was sure Doomworld had one...

Doom. I can forgive DOOM but that's something I'd rather leave for id's press release and that sort of stuff, you know, where you add little ® and ™ everywhere. You know, like normal people say "Photoshop" but Adobe suits say "Adobe® Photoshop® Elements software". Well, normal people say "Doom" and id suits can say "DOOM®" if so they want.

You'll notice that even id's site says "Doom".

Any other form, like the ugly "DooM", is just l33t-sp34k silliness.

I think almost everyone writes it as "Doom".

"DooM" is neat because it looks sort of like the title graphic logo. Well the o's should be top-aligned, but this is the best you can do in straight ASCII (without making a multi-line ascii-art graphic, I mean).

"DOOM" kinda jumps out, but could be used for effect. Also, I think in the old days they capitalized everything that was a trademark. Well, I'm not sure about this, but that's the impression I got from some old books like the 1st edition AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide, where Gygax writes his product names like "ADVANCED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS", "WORLD OF GREYHAWK", "GAMMA WORLD", etc.

Gez said:

Any other form, like the ugly "DooM", is just l33t-sp34k silliness.

Hmm. So what would you call |)()()|\/| ?

I always make sure to type it as

______ _____  ________  ___
|  _  \  _  ||  _  |  \/  |
| | | | | | || | | | .  . |
| | | | | | || | | | |\/| |
| |/ /\ \_/ /\ \_/ / |  | |
|___/  \___/  \___/\_|  |_/
wherever possible.

Just "Doom". SAYING "DOOM" IS JUST SHOUTING IT, and everything else looks retarded.

yourusernamee said:

You market the first episode as shareware and charge people to own the rest of the game.

Thread won.

Though you forgot the sequel that's in large part recycled content and then selling community-made levels and resell the first game using names like "Final Doom", "Ultimate Doom" and "IPromiseThisIsTheLastForRealThisTime Doom".

Gez said:

Though you forgot the sequel that's in large part recycled content and then selling community-made levels and resell the first game using names like "Final Doom", "Ultimate Doom" and "IPromiseThisIsTheLastForRealThisTime Doom".

Oh well, id screwed up most of that plan then.

Gez said:

Doom. I can forgive DOOM but that's something I'd rather leave for id's press release and that sort of stuff, you know, where you add little ® and ™ everywhere. You know, like normal people say "Photoshop" but Adobe suits say "Adobe® Photoshop® Elements software". Well, normal people say "Doom" and id suits can say "DOOM®" if so they want.

You'll notice that even id's site says "Doom".

If I go by that logic, then I'd capitalize Id Software with title-case (which I do), not "id" Software. It's not a common noun. I only capitalize in fancy ways actual and fake acronyms (such as ZDoom, which is meaningless Z and Doom). DOOM ain't an acronym at all. I tend to write usernames as they are, though. I also write forum usernames as they are (I copy paste them if they're hard to type).

printz said:

If I go by that logic, then I'd capitalize Id Software with title-case (which I do), not "id" Software. It's not a common noun.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/id#Noun. Though admittedly it is being used as a name.

printz said:

I only capitalize in fancy ways actual and fake acronyms (such as ZDoom, which is meaningless Z and Doom).

The Z refers to the z-axis, I believe.

εσείς
or
переводить
or

are all fine with me.

I normally use "Doom", though if I'm feeling pretentious I'll capitalize the M. Is it still a Losering offense to do so in these forums?

If Romero hammered a rusty nail into the shaft of his penis, would you also think it was a good thing to do?

GreyGhost said:

I normally use "Doom", though if I'm feeling pretentious I'll capitalize the M. Is it still a Losering offense to do so in these forums?

Was it ever? There was a censoring at one point of a superscript 3 at the end of Doom3 (replaced with asterisks*, in the same way as geni<b></b>ous, irre<b></b>gardless and defi<b></b>nate), but I don't think it was a losering offence.

* Edit: actually, it was replaced with "I AM A MORON I AM A MORON".

I still like use "DooM" even if someone said it's ugly or retarded.
Well, even it's not looks like the logo due "o" isn't higher but I just feel it's OK.

:P

But I may use "Doom" for sometimes...

printz said:

DOOM ain't an acronym at all.

It stands for Dimension Of 'Orrible Monsters.