Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Mortal Kombat (9)

I'm a little surprised that this hasn't had more discussion here yet. So to spark some chatting, I'm asking for the following:

1. Your main
2. Your tag
3. Favorite character(s)
4. Least favorite character(s)

I'll start.

1. Scorpion.
2. Sub Zero/Smoke (depending on the opponent. Given my past MK fanaticism, I'll probably pick Sub Zero more often).
3. Scorpion and Noob Saibot. Scorpion for being the only grey character in a sea of "I FIGHT FOR JUSTICE" and "I AM SO EVIL HOLY SHIT" guys. Noob for his plethora of strange attacks, and awesome design.
4. Stryker (Stupid name, broken as fuck in UMK3, awful design), and Quan Chi (He was never interesting, and is a lingering reminder of MK4, which was the game that started the series' decade-long slump). Oh, and the every single new character from Deadly Alliance.

1. Johnny Cage
2. Sub Zero
3. Pretty much any of the characters that originated from MK1 and 2.
4. Pretty much any of the characters they came up with after UMK3.

Is it bad that I'm way more excited for this game than I was for Marvel Vs. Capcom 3? For whatever reason I've always liked Mortal Kombat more. Mortal Kombat 2 is probably one of my all-time favorite fighting games. Oddly enough, it was actually the first fighting game I ever played, and I remember being absolutely terrified as a child when Scorpion kicked my ass on the first stage and knocked me into the acid pit.

1. Kano / Sub-Zero
2. Scorpion / Liu Kang
3. Any of the above, plus Raiden
4. Kung Lao, Quan Chi, Shao Kahn, Baraka

I thought I read an interview with Ed Boon a few years ago saying that they were going to ditch all the current MK characters and pull a new roster out of their asses for the next game in the series. I'm glad that's not the case here.

Despite having only played MK4 (childhood years, so I enjoyed it without the knowledge of its predecessors) from the MK line and Tekken 4 from the rest of the genre, I've been following the recent MK intently. I won't be buying it because of its not hitting the PC and the fact I don't own a console, but it's not something that I can complain about as I think if there were ever a type of game that had to be set for the console and console alone it should be the fighting genre.

1. Kano
  2. Kitana or Reptile (needs his revenge...!)
  3. Tough one. If you backed me into a corner I'd say Ermac, Scorpion, Kano, Kitana, Noob Saibot, Reptile, Sheeva and Kung Lao.
  4. I'm not playing off much here, but I'd say Mileena, Sonya, Stryker and possibly Shang Tsung are the ones I'm not looking forward to playing all that much. I'll have to wait and see.
EDIT: That is, I'll have to wait and see at my friend's house. Judging by the towering collection of releases that has slowly knocked all the books off his shelf and started cluttering up the mantlepiece, there's a good chance I'll be playing it within the month.

1. Sub-Zero (edit: Raiden)
2. Ermac or Liu Kang, Noob Saibot, (edit: Raiden) and Smoke/Scorpion
3. Reptile, Sub-Zero, Smoke, Ermac
4. Stryker, Sheeva, Sindel, Quan Chi

Mr. Freeze said:

Oh, and the every single new character from Deadly Alliance.

I agree with this for the most part, the lone exception being Kenshi, I always liked his story with Ermac/Sub-Zero and found him to be fun to use and was pretty killer with him in Deception.

AgentSpork said:

Is it bad that I'm way more excited for this game than I was for Marvel Vs. Capcom 3?

No, it is not. I would sacrifice every other fighting game in the world if MK9 would only make it to the PC one day. After Doom and Quake, the original MK trilogy (as in, the first three games, not the hodgepodge that was Mortal Kombat Trilogy) were the games that probably had the most impact on me.

Anyway:-

1. Either Kung Lao or Johnny Cage in the OT. I took to Scorpion more in later titles, however.
2. Was never much of a tag team player. Prefer my MK one-on-one.
3. Already been answered?
4. Most of the new characters introduced in MK4/Deadly Alliance/Deception I never took to. I think Ed Boon and the gang ran out of motivation to create interesting and unique characters at some point and started throwing in characters that look like they came out of any other fighting game to boost the roster up.

1. depends on the game, but its mostly Sektor/Rain
2. Smoke/Human Smoke :P
3. All of them
4. Except Stryker, Quan Chi, and some of the mooks out of Deadly Alliance

I liked Deadly alliance and Armageddon, but it wasn't really a competitive game for me, it was more for the random shit going on in the single player games, like that beat em up single-player format in Armageddon.

Very very glad to see it go back to 2D, it seems more like where it belongs untill some one can crack the 3D fighting format.

DoomUK said:

4. Most of the new characters introduced in MK4/Deadly Alliance/Deception I never took to. I think Ed Boon and the gang ran out of motivation to create interesting and unique characters at some point and started throwing in characters that look like they came out of any other fighting game to boost the roster up.

I don't really think that was the case. SF and Tekken prove that you can leave the roster alone and no one will care. Rather, I think the problem was trying to create new iconic characters alongside the classics for variety. What we ended up with was a bunch of goofballs who looked fatally out of place. Oh, and the female Sub Zero. Traitorous bitch.

Mr. Freeze said:

I don't really think that was the case. SF and Tekken prove that you can leave the roster alone and no one will care. Rather, I think the problem was trying to create new iconic characters alongside the classics for variety. What we ended up with was a bunch of goofballs who looked fatally out of place. Oh, and the female Sub Zero. Traitorous bitch.

Let's not split hairs :p

The point is that they sucked somewhat, which we're in agreement over.

Yeah yeah, I know.

And on that note, I'm pissed that the 360 doesn't get a exclusive character. A while back, Boon was talking on Twitter about how much he loved Killer Instinct (one of my favorite games growing up), and I was pumped. And then, nothing. Maybe future DLC? I sure hope to wreck shit as Fulgore again.

I dunno, having a bonus KI character in a MK game would only serve to tease those of us who have waited like, 15 years for a brand new KI game. Or at least a cheesy-but-awesome "Mortal Kombat vs Killer Instinct" crossover, which was also hinted at years ago.

Just got my copy at the midnight release. Was up 'til 3AM playing it, slept 5 hours, and then played until noon. Seriously the best fighter I've played in ages, maybe ever.

Surprisingly, I suck with Scorpion. My team is now Smoke (lols ensue with Down-Away-Y), and Noob Saibot. Can't wait to unlock the secret characters.

I have fallen completely in love with this game, and thus far, my big surprise is that I'm pretty decent with Cyrax, and of course not too shabby with either Scorpion and Sub-Zero.

What's the soundtrack like?

I've been kind of disappointed with what Dan Forden has been cooking up lately (or at least since MK4).

Hmm this is getting pretty good reviews... and I just bought Portal 2 today... looks like my reserves are gonna take a bit of a hit this month. ;)

my roommate was watching youtube videos of mortal combat 'finish him' sequences last night. They were pretty gory: drags the opponent by the legs through skill saw on floor.

A friend rented it and we played for a couple of hours. Much better than the full 3D style ones. Not sure why they've changed some of the character designs though. Kano looks like a gay Riker from Star Trek: TNG and Baraka's mouth just looks stupid now. The gameplay is pretty solid though.

DooMAD said:

Kano looks like a gay Riker from Star Trek: TNG

I'm pretty sure they just wanted to make him look more like Trevor Goddard, however, I still chuckled at this.

Favorites : Scorpion, Raiden, Smoke, Kung Lao. Sub-zero, Night Wolf, and Liu Kang are ok.

Every other character can suck a dick. Except Mileena. She can suck MY dick.

My main is Scorpion. I don't do Tag but if I had to choose it would probably be from the list of faves.

I did really enjoy the game it was a nice welcoming back into the MK series for me, after having not played any of them since UMK3. It does still have it's quirks, Quan Chi's a bitch, Kano's an asshole, and Shao Khan's...well, Shao Khan. The computer tends to get a little spammy, but I consider it payback for having not even looked at my PS3 in about 3 months. I do like the addition of the X-ray system. Good fun to watch someone get their legs shattered, and then get back up, somehow. Or have their liver crushed and still be combat capable. And the shorter, more consistent, button combos is nice as well.

It's cool that they brought in Kratos, but what I'm really waiting for is for the Kinect to get better* with tracking player movement and release a Mortal Kombat game for that. I just want to be able to puree someone's colon with my hands rather than my thumbs.

*And by "better" I mean a Fucking LOT better. No more of this turning my punches into elbows and kicks and everything-that-is-NOT-a-punch bullshit.

In short, awesome game, fun to play, would definitely recommend it if you like fighting games.