Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
flubbernugget

Countering the SSG in Multiplayer

When I make multi-player maps, they tend to be very small and cramped with a lot of small corridors. This probably fills the niche of the SSG too well, making it very overpowered if it ever ends up in my map. So, since distance all to often cannot be used to counter the SSG in this scenario, how can it's other vulnerabilities(like the low rate of fire) be exploited in a DeathMatch? When you DeathMatch, what tactics do use (other than distance) to counter an opponent with the SSG? Are there any ideas on how to implement any SSG vulnerabilities into a map design that helps keep the make the SSG less effective in close corridors? Is this even possible?

My preferred method of countering the SSG: quitting the game. Yeah, I'm a rage-quitter, but it certainly is better than having to buy a new keyboard.

flubbernugget said:

cramped with a lot of small corridors.

plasma and RL in +back defence will absolutely shred the ssg dude.

40oz said:

This is why I never play games online... Seriously, is online gaming actually fun at all? Just seems like it's a giant vat of anger and foul language and people generally treating each other like dirt.

Megamur said:

This is why I never play games online... Seriously, is online gaming actually fun at all? Just seems like it's a giant vat of anger and foul language and people generally treating each other like dirt.

Skulltag Multiplayer isn't too bad. Besides I just ignore the eleven year olds and focus on killing stuff.

Vulture said:

jesus that's the most annoying video i've ever seen

Online Doom is fine as long as you ignore the morons. There's plenty of decent people playing and good servers up. If you're not too good, just keep playing, learn what you're doing wrong and you'll get better :)

I'd argue that there aren't many good servers up. On the last 15 times I've refreshed the server list I found it near impossible to find coop or survival mode servers on skulltag that aren't running some stupid gameplay mod or weapon mod. Nobody is ever playing standard deathmatch or CTF either. I've given up on skulltag entirely and feel much more comfortable with odamex despite how few players it has. I'm rarely at home enough to play Doom online anyway though.

I, too, am frustrated by weapon mods in online matches. I'd kill for an unadulterated, Co-op, limited lives run of Icarus or something.

I tried playing online a few times, but my ping was 200+ so I didn't play long, in the short time I did play though the other players were fine.

Marcaek said:

jesus that's the most annoying video i've ever seen

+1

Megamur said:

Co-operative? Yes. Competitive(read: PvP; not exclusively competitive as in tournaments and such)? Only if you're running with a good team and/or annihilating bad players.

Mr. Chris said:

That's not fun, that's obnoxious, especially with Tourettes Guy's cursing as the player is hurt.

i've actually played in a few of these priv coops and they are highly entertaining, so your judgement by glancing at a highlight vid is poor and ignorant. the player doesn't use the tourettes vox, all those sounds are produced by zombies of dead players.