Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tygreen19

Artist needed - will pay

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of programming/creating an iPhone game and am in desperate need of an artist. Several friends of mine expressed an interest in helping me out with this, but none followed through and eventually got lazy. The type of game play will be much like a combination of Diablo and Doom, and artwork will be similar to that of Doom alone. Payment will be received after the game is released, as the creation of the game is non-funded. You will be paid a negotiable percentage of the profits made from the game up to a certain amount. Please keep this in mind as there is no profit available until after the game's release, so your personal profit will be determined solely on the game's success. If you or anyone you know would be interested in assisting me with the artwork, please notify me through PM or through email at tygreen19@cebridge.net. Also, if you or anyone you know can give me any pointers or advice, especially those with any experience, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Here is a link to an example of the type of game I am looking to create:
http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-fall-of-mars

Email:
tygreen19@cebridge.net

Note: Any help will be appreciated and fully credited.

Share this post


Link to post

Edit: I misread, I thought the screenshots in the link was tygreen19's work...

hmmmm... I now see why people are reacting the way they are to this, can you guys smell something burning? I sure can...

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, great idea! The floor textures look repetitive though, I think it was done better in Diablo.

Share this post


Link to post

Just FYI, the percentage-of-profits payment model, also known as "working for free," is something that most talented artists have already turned down one hundred times in their lives

Share this post


Link to post

If you want to sell this game in the app store you will need to sign that you have permission to use AND SELL all the resources used in the game.
The screenshots and demo show a lot of (modified) sprites and textures from the original Doom. Unless you have the exclusive permission from id Software to use their sprites and textures you will not be allowed to sell this game.

So if I understand correctly, you need an artist who will remake all your graphics, so you have all original content. Or you could use Freedoom graphics (for example) as a base. Either way this will be a lot of work.

BTW: the music from the video is from "28 days later"?

Share this post


Link to post

Are you guys all commenting on the Fall of Mars link he's posted as he just says this is an example of the sort of game he wants to make?

Share this post


Link to post

I might be misunderstanding, but I'm pretty sure the linked game is "an example of the type of game [he is] looking to create", not the game he's himself creating and intending to sell.

Share this post


Link to post
t.v. said:

BTW: the music from the video is from "28 days later"?

yeah, it sounds like the 28 days later edit of godspeed you! black emperor - east hastings (the sad mafioso part)

Share this post


Link to post
esselfortium said:

I might be misunderstanding, but I'm pretty sure the linked game is "an example of the type of game [he is] looking to create", not the game he's himself creating and intending to sell.


This is correct. This is a game that has been in and out of development for a long time. it is not created by me and i am not going to port this over to the iPhone. this is the type of game i am wanting to make. and it is not going to be doom. it will only have the look of doom. for obvious reasons i cannot sell anything doom related without id's consent.

Creaphis said:

Just FYI, the percentage-of-profits payment model, also known as "working for free," is something that most talented artists have already turned down one hundred times in their lives


yes. i know. but as you can guess i am not made of money. i do not have a company. this "job" would be something you work on for an hour a day in your spare time. its nothing you should quit your day job for. i would LOVE to have a great artist. but i am only expecting maybe hobbyist or college students seeking an artist path. this can really help them get some pocket cash as well as start a nice resume.

Share this post


Link to post

By asking them to work on that basis, you are asking the artist to become a co-developer and to share fully in the risk.

That's fair enough as a way to operate, but not if you want to remain in sole charge of the project.

If you just want to employ an artist, then pay them royalties - that is, a portion of all income generated, regardless of whether it makes a profit overall. And good luck convincing them that they shouldn't get an advance, as without one, they are relying on you to sell and market the thing in a reasonable way (not to mention release it at all).

Share this post


Link to post
Grazza said:

By asking them to work on that basis, you are asking the artist to become a co-developer and to share fully in the risk.

That's fair enough as a way to operate, but not if you want to remain in sole charge of the project.

If you just want to employ an artist, then pay them royalties - that is, a portion of all income generated, regardless of whether it makes a profit overall. And good luck convincing them that they shouldn't get an advance, as without one, they are relying on you to sell and market the thing in a reasonable way (not to mention release it at all).


i have no money to pay anyone. i can only pay them once the app is released. so why cant i pay them lets say.. 30% up to 20,000 dollars? how does that give them part of my company? its a way of payment. i was thinking something like a contract so no one would get upset. everything would be set in stone. im a programmer. not a lawyer or a business man. if there is another way.. then please tell me.

Share this post


Link to post
Creaphis said:

Just FYI, the percentage-of-profits payment model, also known as "working for free," is something that most talented artists have already turned down one hundred times in their lives


Ha ha, simpsons quote:

Newspaper editor: … And to protect Mother Earth, each copy contains a certain percentage of recycled paper.
Lisa: And what percent is that?
Newspaper editor: Zero. Zero’s a percent!

Share this post


Link to post

Program the game, and fill it with shitty ms paint graphics or stolen game assets. AFTER the game is well into development, visit sites, post a solid demo of the game and ask for artists, interested in the concept, to help finish it.

Share this post


Link to post
tygreen19 said:

yes. i know. but as you can guess i am not made of money. i do not have a company. this "job" would be something you work on for an hour a day in your spare time. its nothing you should quit your day job for. i would LOVE to have a great artist. but i am only expecting maybe hobbyist or college students seeking an artist path. this can really help them get some pocket cash as well as start a nice resume.


If you want to create something worth paying for, you have to devote a lot of time to it, and an hour a day from a student isn't going to cut it.

The concept (easily the most important aspect of any game) is blurry to say the least, but if you're hoping for anything that remotely resembles that boring mars piece of crap from the link, the project is doomed, no chance in hell.

Get some cash, get some ideas and get serious, games don't make themselves.

Share this post


Link to post

If you want help, you will need to prove that you can build such a game, either my making a demo (with filler art work) or referencing to previous completed products.

If you can prove you can make a fun game, people will join you, but until then, people will view upon it as one of the million other projects that are proposed but never get finished (and therefore not worth investing time in).

Don't let all the negative replies get you down though. Keep going; if you want to make a project work bad enough, it will eventually.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×