Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catoptromancy

FreeDM is underway!

fraggle said:

No. I was just experimenting with the patch a few months ago (getting it to work with Chocolate Doom), and I made modified versions of some of the FreeDM levels to work with it. As part of that I had to make the levels work with Vanilla. As FreeDM is now being converted to Vanilla I offered up my modified versions for use as the conversion work has already been done. Now they just need the monsters removed again.

Ah so the comp-dm.deh need monsters in order to work?

A couple days ago I tried using it with a deathmatch map (the one I converted and posted to this thread), but no bots appeared:

chocolate-doom -iwad freedm.wad -server -deh comp-dm3.deh \
        -respawn -altdeath -solo-net -file hex11c.wad
If it needs monsters, which one(s) are they? In this case, I'm just looking for a way to test deathmatch play, but it might also be fun to try other deathmatch maps from idgames (without needing a live opponent).

I looked at the deh file, and there's a whole lot of stuff in there for all the different monsters, but I doesn't make a lot of sense to me. :)

hex11 said:

... but no bots appeared:

Adding a .deh to chocolate will not make bots.

RjY said:

This is kind of vague for a bug report but I assume you mean "R_GenerateLookup: column without a patch" for several textures named like GRID* ?

It seems when chocolate doom looks up the lump numbers of the patch names, it gets the identically-named flats instead of the patches, because it doesn't do lump namespacing. So it's trying to parse a plain 64x64 bitmap as a patch. I'm surprised it didn't immediately I_Error, but you seem to have reduced that error to a warning (isn't that against your design philosophy?)

Yes, that's what I was referring to. The Chocolate Doom behavior is the same as Vanilla Doom, which also prints these warning messages and does not bomb out with an error. As you know, textures in Doom are assembled from multiple patches. The error message occurs when you have a wall texture with a column (ie. 1-pixel wide vertical strip) that is not covered by any patch. Every column in a texture has to be covered by at least one patch. I'm not entirely sure why.

hex11 said:

A couple days ago I tried using it with a deathmatch map (the one I converted and posted to this thread), but no bots appeared:

chocolate-doom -iwad freedm.wad -server -deh comp-dm3.deh \
        -respawn -altdeath -solo-net -file hex11c.wad
If it needs monsters, which one(s) are they? In this case, I'm just looking for a way to test deathmatch play, but it might also be fun to try other deathmatch maps from idgames (without needing a live opponent).

I looked at the deh file, and there's a whole lot of stuff in there for all the different monsters, but I doesn't make a lot of sense to me. :)

comp-dm.deh is a dehacked patch that changes the monsters so that they look like (and to some extent behave like?) other players, the idea being that you can have a mock deathmatch with them. I suggest you check out the original thread for more information.

The original mod was a modified executable with some deathmatch levels for playing against the "bots". It was initially thought that the mod was more elaborate, but I later found that the behavior of the modified executable could be captured in a dehacked patch and the bots were just monsters with their appearance/behavior changed.

As I liked the patch I fixed up some of the glitches in it with a view to submitting a cleaned up version to the idgames repository. However, some of the levels included with the original mod were based on original Doom levels, so I decided to replace them with ones from FreeDM instead.

I started this new map a couple days ago:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/502jw4

The only problem is that it's E1M1 (Yadex uses doom.wad as the default IWAD...) and FreeDM uses MAPxx instead. Is there an easy way to convert it to freedm.wad IWAD?

I'm starting to play around with the textures, so wanted to make sure I use only those in freedm.wad...

BTW, it's my first map with Yadex (and since using DCK last in 1996). It's supposed to be a "rocket arena", so the only weapons available might be rocket launchers & ammo. I don't know if that's cool by FreeDM rules though, or if it's even a good idea.

Oh, and in Quake, "rocket arena" implies a deathmatch rules variant, but I don't know if that part could be replicated in Doom, even with DEH patches...

hex11 said:

The only problem is that it's E1M1 (Yadex uses doom.wad as the default IWAD...) and FreeDM uses MAPxx instead. Is there an easy way to convert it to freedm.wad IWAD?

yadex -iwad2 freedm.wad -file blahblah.wad

The "Save As" command (File menu) will ask for a new map name.

Thanks, that was easier than expected!

Now have the map running under FreeDM:

Still needs better texturing and stuff. ;)

The way this teleporter works, is that too gonzo?
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7lbp3l

Btw, in case it's not apparent, the teleporter is that big ugly-looking thing smack dab in the middle of the map. ;)

I was initially going to use stairs to reach the upper tiers, but figured there were already enough protrusions in the arena, and didn't want it to negatively affect player movements. Lifts might have worked also.

There's going to be an outside area to run around in also. That's where the lower tier's northern corridor will lead to (there will be a way out there on all four compass points).

Since nobody posted negative comments, I'm going to take that as a sign that the basic design is sound. And I know the map looks like crap, but I'll try to improve that as best as I can.

So as I mentioned in the Vanilla Freedoom thread, there's a medusa effect in dm02. The effect is in the whole entire hallway. This is especially problematic since one of the deathmatch starts is in the hallway. Looking at dm02.wad in Yadex, there's a bunch of vertices on top of other vertices in the hallway somehow. On the affected walls there's always these two linedefs that are almost on top of each other. Hopefully one of you will know what to do. I tried fixing dm02.wad in Yadex but every time I gave chocolate-doom a modified dm02.wad I got this:

Z_Malloc: failed on allocation of 1558088496 bytes

Z_Malloc errors on load of map level:
Just worked on a similar bug in DoomLegacy and there it was triggered by a missing or bad blockmap. The original code makes rash assumptions. When the blockmap was not made it will allocate 0 bytes, or whatever bogus value appears as count. It can also allocate 0 bytes, and then write assumed fields into the 0 byte allocation, corrupting zone memory. Chocolate doom may have similar behavior.