Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
verty

Training map - MovePath

This may interest speed merchants, a simple training map to practice mouse control. I made this for myself to get used to the mouse in Doom. Run along a path, try not to fall off.

I think no map like this exists.

MOVEPATH.ZIP

Edit: email no longer required to download.

Hmm. I don't know if this really helped me at all. I rather play "The Chasm" from Doom 2. The map was aso pretty ugly and not even aligned properly.

BTW: This wad ran with doom 2 map 01. Worked for me in gzdoom

Heh, this is surprisingly satisfying to play. My best time so far is 17 seconds. (NO SR50)

What, no lava? No imps spawning in with every fall? How are Doomers going to respect the mouse without lava?

This won't be to everyone's taste of course. It is a very simple test of mouse skill. If you can run and not fall off, you win. There is no lava so you can run back to the start.

I don't think I am artistic enough to create a good level based around this concept, and it probably isn't very doom-like to need dainty footing. Even the chasm was a pretty odd map with hardly any monsters.

But I agree that mastering it is satisfying. Play it, beat it, move on. Perhaps you'll have improved skill at that point. :)

Par time: 21 seconds
Birdie: 20 seconds
Eagle: 19 seconds
Albatross: 18 or less

got 16. quite fun, reminds me of zdrace. i wonder if you can jump over at the start of the u-turn. :P

[edit] I Just got 18 on two consecutive runs. Huzzah! [/edit]

Thanks verty. This was good fun.

I think the skill was more at how well you can tap the strafe keys. Too little through those corners and you lose speed, too much and you fly off the edge.

Some more practice getting those turns perfect (ie getting the angles perfect on straferunning rather than just normal running through a couple of those corners) and I know I could do better.

But 16 is pretty nuts. Nice work dew. I mean it takes me 6 seconds to run straight to the exit from the start and jump up there to exit. (I know... I tried. :)

Thanks verty. This was good fun.

You are very welcome! I'm sure glad I posted it. :)

Well I got my time down to 17 seconds several times now. 16 seconds seems like a loooong way away tho, still. I like maps like this, verty. Feel free to make more. :)

The more I think about it, the more I liked the little things about this level. The positioning of the flame lamps was cool (green, blue, red). The more I played this, the better it seemed for speedrunning.