Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foofoo

the music in 'Blake Stone'

I was playing the old shooter Blake Stone and realised that some of the music in it sounded like some of the music in Doom and Doom 2. Then i checked the credits and found out that, yep, Robert Prince did the music.

anyone make a thread about this? I just thought i should since every single other aspect of Doom has been discussed.

IIRC, one of Blake Stones tracks was based off the unused (as far as I am aware) music track in Catacomb3D.

Actually, ignore that, it was actually a Commander Keen track that was based off the Catacomb3D one. Doh!

As well as some soundtracks from ROTT. One of them (named after a sword) has a sequence suspiciously similar to Doom Tower of Babel's music, and yes indeed, it's made by Robert Prince. The more latino sounding tracks were composed by another guy though.

OT:

I luv this music. It automatically reminds me of that immense maze populated by ball-lightning flares.

I like how bobbys tracks can always be recognized. He uses the simplest melodies, repeats them all over, adds some stuff on top and throws a blues progression in here and there... and it always sounds good!

I vaguely knew that Bobby Prince was involved with Blake Stone, but I don't think I've ever heard any of the music until today. Some of us were too cheap for sound cards in the nineties. :P

Bobby Prince did a music for a ton of PC games during the early 90's, including Bio-Menace (which is now freeware and is a pretty great sidescrolling shooter), Duke Nukem II, and Duke 3D (partly). He was Apogee's workhorse composer.

Megamur said:

Bobby Prince did a music for a ton of PC games during the early 90's, including Bio-Menace (which is now freeware and is a pretty great sidescrolling shooter)

Bio-Menace is a great game. I used to play the hell out of that..

Continuing in Bobby Prince's grand tradition *cough*, one of Blake Stone's music tracks sounds an awful lot like Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song", just at a slower tempo and with the vocal part replaced with something different. =P

yeah its a bit of a shame the guy used his law knowledge to rip off just the right amount of copyrighted material. atleast i think thats what happened.

skaman86 said:

Bio-Menace is a great game. I used to play the hell out of that..

One of the first PC games I played!

BTW, it runs flawlessly in DOSBox...

Seriously, guys, great old game. Runs on a modified Commander Keen 4 engine (and Keen actually makes a cameo). 3D Realms released it as freeware. Go get it.

hehe ive been lurking here for years. i just figured i'd post once in a while just to do something.

Foofoo said:

yeah its a bit of a shame the guy used his law knowledge to rip off just the right amount of copyrighted material. atleast i think thats what happened.

TECHNICALLY, you can only sue if a recording is similar to a musical piece you composed...but MIDI isn't a recording, it's just data.

Megamur said:

Seriously, guys, great old game. Runs on a modified Commander Keen 4 engine (and Keen actually makes a cameo). 3D Realms released it as freeware. Go get it.

Aw damn, now I'm hooked. I usually hate side scrollers, but this one is actually fun.

Mr. Freeze said:

TECHNICALLY, you can only sue if a recording is similar to a musical piece you composed...but MIDI isn't a recording, it's just data.

Are you sure about that? I've never looked into the copyright status of MIDI transcriptions specifically, but I'd assume that they would generally be classified as derivative works, and therefore the original author's copyright would still subside in them.

Producing and distributing sheet music of copyrighted songs (like in the old 'fakebooks', for example) without paying royalties is considered to be infringement, and has brought legal trouble down on people before. I don't see why MIDI files would be exempt from this, as they can be compared to computer-readable sheet music for the most part.

Clonehunter said:

Aw damn, now I'm hooked. I usually hate side scrollers, but this one is actually fun.

Tell me about it! I'm usually not one for PC sidescrollers either, but I really enjoyed Bio-Menace.

Foofoo said:

hehe ive been lurking here for years. i just figured i'd post once in a while just to do something.

Good, now make a new map or something awesome.

Megamur said:

Tell me about it! I'm usually not one for PC sidescrollers either, but I really enjoyed Bio-Menace.

Its fucking awsome. But also kinda hard. Now of course, I'm trying to go through it without saving once, and so far the best I get is too the Tree level. Those damn snakes :P

Clonehunter said:

Its fucking awsome. But also kinda hard. Now of course, I'm trying to go through it without saving once, and so far the best I get is too the Tree level. Those damn snakes :P

Have fun with the first level of Episode 3. Good grief.

Scuba Steve said:

Good, now make a new map or something awesome.

no problem, if i could somehow make money off of wads to pay for my rent.