Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naitguolf

Maps with the best boss?

To me, (as a lot of you guys surely) hate how DooM II ends. That map30... I was hoping for an huge boss or something like that.

Ok, so, can you please point to me the wads with the best "end game bosses" ever done in DooM? (ports or not) And why? Do you think a map with a huge boss? Or it is best with a lot of enemies? Maybe a tricky map that breaks the usual gameplay to shoot'em'all? What do you think?

Regards.

The only icon of sin style boss I enjoyed was at the end of community chest 3, but as i recall, you only had to push 2 switches and fire some rockets into some FIREBLU, no silly elevator requiring perfect timing or lots of luck.
I quite like the last level to be just a load of enemies in a giant map like scythe map 30, not sure if that qualifies as a boss though. Threshold of pain by scalliano had a more traditional giant-enemy-that-you-have-to-shoot-loads-of-times style boss which was quite fun but ultimately too easy.

Kama Sutra map 30.

WELL SOMEONE HAD TO SAY IT.

Also the ZDoom community megawad had that great level with the fight against the two modified SpiderDemons (Demolishers I think they are called), which was a pretty fun fight.

Marnetmar said:

I loved the final boss of KDIZD.

Ugh, yuck,
if i wanted to fight a giant demon that comes out of the lava i'll go play quake.

E2M8 - seeing those crucified barons of hell in the start room (monsters I was still afraid of at the time) made me realize some really bad shit was about to happen...

Foodles said:

Ugh, yuck,
if i wanted to fight a giant demon that comes out of the lava i'll go play quake.

Oh well, to each his own I suppose.

I've got nothing against a demon coming ot of the lava (Cthon was sort of cool, if piss easy), but I think the KDiZD thing's crappy sprites looked stupid. What the hell is up with those extra arms?

I don't really like boss maps all that much, but the sector-based one from UAC Ultra was pretty alright, in my opinion.

Yeah the lava monster was fun,

The bruiser bros are the best bosses 'cause of the suprise and excitement the first time seeing them, everyone remembers that

It's really hard to make doom 2 bosses vanilla wise, has anyone found a way yet?

Mithran Denizen said:

I've got nothing against a demon coming ot of the lava (Cthon was sort of cool, if piss easy), but I think the KDiZD thing's crappy sprites looked stupid. What the hell is up with those extra arms?

I don't really like boss maps all that much, but the sector-based one from UAC Ultra was pretty alright, in my opinion.

I thought the extra arms were good, but that may be because I have a different way of interpreting Doom. I interpret the game in a more biblical style, so the final boss of KDIZD takes the cake for me.

I think the extra arms could've been cool if they didn't look like they were pasted on as an afterthought. The horned goat-looking thing (I can't find a link to the image right now) that was one of the other concepts for the monster would've worked out better, in my opinion.

MAP30 of Memento Mori is my favorite so far, I think, the only caveat being that while it's a cool idea, it just makes the action tedious on sp.

MAP30 of perdition's gate and hell to pay had cool ending sequences but i wouldn't call them boss fights.

And MAP30 of congestion1024 was impressive for sheer spectacle, though I gave up trying to do it on UV.

@hmxexii:I beat Congestion 1024's map30 on UV with saves.
@lupinx-kassman:What wad is that from?That sounds awesome!

lupinx-Kassman said:

the belly of the beast

So that map uses that track?

killer2 said:

@hmxexii:I beat Congestion 1024's map30 on UV with saves.
@lupinx-kassman:What wad is that from?That sounds awesome!

Specifically shooting for no-saves / pistol starts, but considering all the bullet hell going on it's still quite a feat!

kmxexii said:

Specifically shooting for no-saves / pistol starts, but considering all the bullet hell going on it's still quite a feat!

I think I used pistol start...not quite sure though.Now I always use pistol start (except for maps specifically designed without pistol start in mind).

I thought the Terminator in ZPack, The Icon of Sin in Demons of Problematique 2, and the Bruiser Brothers in KDiZD was pretty cool boss fights, if not just for the kick-ass music that played there.

Other than that, I can't think of a single boss, that is, a Icon of Sin battle that felt like the final boss, that put up a decent fight.

Honestly, there really hasn't been that much nice boss fights that I've seen in wads. The only I recall being actually very challenging was the last guy in that one zdoom wad Zendyn and mostly cause of the cheap mechanics.

Though I do give it that plutonia 2's version of the classic icon of sin was very well done and ZPack had few pretty intresting bosses aswell.

claustrophobia walls close in (map 5? whichever map is last)
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12364
= heavily acs scripted battle with entire spheres of projectiles being shot, just iddqd to see it.

Claustrophobia 1024 2: The Mystery of Too Many Maps
boom, map 34, have to use start/run box to play it (self spam)
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15982
Its a 'texture boss' like doom2's, only scripted to animate, like it flips you off and opens its mouth and gets angry eyes.

harbringer (by little white mouse? or some similar sounding name)
google it I guess, another acs scripted monster. has multiple body sprite parts.

I can think of one way to out do the Kama Sutra boss... A giant goat demon that sneers at you, grabs its crotch and then whips out its huge shlong (actually an Icon of Sin monster generator) and then booms "Suck it down, bitch!" in that low, backwards demonic intonation. Then to kill it, you somehow have to bounce some rocket blasts up its ass, because that's where the head is at.