Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schmerr

What was the first pwad you ever played?

How good was your first wad ever?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How good was your first wad ever?

• Awesome
    • It was ok.
    • Well, not so good.
    • Complete crap.

I remember my first pwad fondly, i had just gotten doom 1&2 after years of playing the doom 1 demo, and i was gonna play that shit out.
So i googled DOOM LEVELS. then i figured out they were called WADS.
I google DOOM WADS. i come up on a website called DOOM WAD STATION. i look at the wads, and find one called BLOOD. Now, i never played BLOOD before that, so i didn't know it was a TC. Afterwords though, I knew that name forever.

So what was your FIRST PWAD EVER?

How good was it?

Hmmm... I can't remember the name of it but I remember the premise. The concept was that the bar you and your war buddy were drinking in got all hellified and your buddy got killed. The exit was two feet away from you, but the text file encouraged you to go kill all the monsters in the level before exiting to avenge your buddy.

It's actually a pretty good level for its time, but I can't remember what it was called for the life of me.

My first PWAD was some retexturing of E1M1 with a bunch of extra monsters added in. It wasn't all that impressive, but it seemed pretty cool at the time.

But my first 'real' experience with new maps was Slaughter Until Death, which was a lot more satisfying.

The first Pwad I've played was ZPack. I enjoyed most of it(especially the fancy looking wooden map). I have yet to finish it though, my computer is too old to run some of the maps of the third episode properly.

My first pwad was Markroom.wad - while it's nothing special by any sort of gameplay criteria (though, going by the readme, it might be okay for DM), it was presumably (like origwad) made using a hex editor. I've no way of telling for sure, though.

No idea... Probably something I downloaded from DoomGate or some FTP site back in 1995, after following a newsgroup link or something. I'm pretty sure I played through Doom, Doom II and Heretic before getting any PWADs.

Some of the earliest I can remember: subway.wad (Deimos Subway), crater.wad (Docking Crater Alpha), uac_dead.wad (Doomsday of the UAC). Those are all very good, even by today's standards (well my own anyway).

Other early stuff: spirit2.wad (Quest for Demonic Spirit), twilab.wad (Twilight Lab) - also both very good.

I think it was ASD2 or Raven.

They were definitely the first two - I'm just not sure of the order. They were both pretty decent, though I preferred ASD2, and still view it as the better of the two.

I think my first PWAD was Whispers of Satan, but I'm not sure. It's pretty good so far (no, I haven't finished it yet >.< ).

PRIMEVAL said:

I think my first PWAD was Whispers of Satan, but I'm not sure. It's pretty good so far (no, I haven't finished it yet >.< ).

My favorite PWAD ever!!!

My first one was Hell Revealed. I remember being so shocked at the monster count on some of the maps.

EARTH

Looks great, but the author was too lazy to place monsters, and just made them randomly teleport.

PHOBOS is much better imo.

I don't remember which was my very first pwad as it was probably 12 or 13 years ago, but some of my early favorites were the Raven series, the original NJdoom2, Oracle, and both The Evil Unleashed and Slaughter Until Death.

edit: And the original version of Castle Phobos.

Processingcontrol said:

Looks great, but the author was too lazy to place monsters, and just made them randomly teleport.

That's weird cause it seems like it would take more work to make monsters teleport in rather than just place them around.

I think the first one may have been called blood or something, and I was like six years old. It was for Doom, and I only played it for the first few rooms. The first real pwad I think I played through was biowar via final doom on the doom 95 launcher, and to this day it is still among my favorite megawads.

I guarantee it was something off the doom 1&2 collection shovelware cd, but I dont remember which one being as how it was so long ago. It may have been good, but then again I was probably eleven or twelve at the time and played doom in uv with iddqd so I honestly didn't know the difference. The few I remember:

One that was a fight with a cyberdemon on a walkway, music was midi "don't worry, be happy"
A small house replica wad
A somewhat amusing wad where among other things a bunch of barons appeared and a soundfile played saying "all right boys, let's get 'im!"
Something with a lot of custom graphics, the opening wallpaper of which took me a while to figure out were stylized nude women which in hindsight remind me of h.r. Giger's work.

I'll go back sometime after whetting my appetite of excellent doom wads to relive my childhood.

The absolutely first one I played was this pretty neat doom 1 wad that had this one wooden labyrint level, I also recall it had this one weird level that had a tunnel way that made you run away from a Cybie.
Thats all I can remember from it unfortunantly, considering it was ages ago. I kinda wish I would've picked its name up proberly, it was named "*something*pack" and had a few seperate wads on it for each episode replacement.

Probably something like Simpsons Doom, which I first encountered in the late 90s. At least one shovelware CD publisher was careless enough to provide it ready-to-run with Shareware Doom.

It was RUSDOOM.WAD with stupid sound replacements and three new cool maps. MAP04 was a prison map, MAP06 was a city map with Duke Nukem 3D music (E2M1 I think). I don't remember anything about MAP05.

It is very rare, I'm looking for it for years...

My first PWAD was played using the ZDoom engine.Since then I switched to the more useful GZDoom.
But let's talk about the WAD.And what a WAD it was!It was Russel Pearson's Decade.I loved the new awesome secrets and the hyperpowered mancubi.Also the gameplay was top notch.
Actually all of my first WAD's were from duellist.net,and all of them were awesome.

It wasn't even a traditional wad. It was a modified pirate version of the game which turned Doomguy into a smiley face, all sorts of stupid MSPaint weapons, and the monsters were replaced with Power Rangers, Barney the Dinosaur, etc.

Xmas Nightmare.
It was the pwad that brought me back to Doom (or actually, it was the Doomsday Engine that did so, but Xmas Nightmare was the thing that managed to convince me how great Doom was again).