Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TropicalDeathPunch

Mirrors using DB2?

I have a question about the whole mirror and window thing. I have searched for a Mirror tutorial, can't find it and the tutorial for making windows (here) does not work for me. I saw one on some other site and I can't get that to work either.
I am using DB2 and if this is the problem them I'm going to wait until I'm ready for a new challenge.
I appreciate the help.
Oh and I was wondering if there was a way to tag an empty sector to use as an area that is big enough to reflect the room I am trying to put a mirror in. And how would I do that. I'm thinking kind of like the skybox trick (which I still can't do either). :(

The requirements for a successful mirror are different for various ports.

As a general rule of thumb, you must have a void space behind the mirror at least as large as the the area in front of the mirror. Preferably even larger.

OpenGl ports are more forgiving in that respect.

What about the tutorial ( windows ) did you not understand ?

Are you mapping for ZDoom's UDMF or Hexen format? If so, you can make blocking windows by simply setting the line flags to block everything.

If you need to use the more contrived method with the blocking sector (as described in the linked thread), then it's a bit of extra work, but still shouldn't be that that hard. Off the top of my head:

1. Make a sector inside the window frame, near the translucent line. The sector should span the entire length of the window frame, so that it can block projectiles when raised. You may also need to set the lines of the blocking sector to block sound, if you want it to do so.

2. Raise the blocking sector to one unit below its ceiling. Do not texture the sides; leave them blank.

3. If the player's view is ever higher than the floor of the blocking sector, the effect will be ruined. You can fix this by using a fake floor tranfer effect that sets the blocking sector's fake floor to the real floor of the surrounding window frame.

I'm a little late on the response, had to work today. As for Zdoom in hexen, I switched to that last night and I'm going to play with that for a while to see what I can do. I got caught up last night trying to figure out how to run a script for a split door. Hence the switch over to hexen format.
Thank you for the responses and I will update regularly this weekend.