Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zeratul 982

"The Grand Arising" uploaded

(I also have this posted in the WADS forum just in case something happens to this one.)

The subject says it all. You can find the zip here. This map happens to be one of the most complex maps I've built. The thing that's scary is the map's total sector count:
666. :)
Anyway, feel free to try it out and tell me what you think. If any major bugs are found let me know about it and I'll get to work on it.

Nice map. I approve.

Those coupla chaingunners in the start area right after you get the red key are dirty whores though. It's amazing how much trouble those guys can be even after years of dooming.

yeah, I agree. good map dude, I just UVed the bad boy now! yeah fuck those chaingunners, they are placed in bitchy corners, as are the revenants. Good balance of weaponry, tho u dish out the r/l a bit too early to make UV hard core, but its still damn challenging. Nive level setup too, with multiple theme changes throughout. Must've taken u bloody ages.

Glad you approve. Keep them coming. :)

Those coupla chaingunners in the start area right after you get the red key are dirty whores though. It's amazing how much trouble those guys can be even after years of dooming.

Yeah, you should have seen the amount I originally had teleport in. A real deathwish.

Huh, I grabbed the ZIP through the link, but it was an empty file. What gives?

Some people had similar problems with other files linked to the ftp. Elbryan42 would be able to explain it better than I can. I think it has something to do with the temp internet file cache. Try clearing the cache (in Internet Options) and try again.

The subject says it all. You can find the zip here. This map happens to be one of the most complex maps I've built. The thing that's scary is the map's total sector count:
666. :)

Good map, not overly detailed.. but stylish.. I like the ceiling stuff in the room with the 2 barons. A bit on the easy side...

Good map, not overly detailed.. but stylish.. I like the ceiling stuff in the room with the 2 barons. A bit on the easy side...

I thought those ceiling things were easy to make, period.
...?
Nevermind. Thx.

I thought those ceiling things were easy to make, period.
...?
Nevermind. Thx.

Hard to make doesn't mean that it will look good. You can spend 10 hours on 3d bridges and ultradetailed rooms, it can still look bad, that ceiling window is of course easy to make but it adds a lot to the room in atmosphere and detail. One thing I would do though is raise the ceiling on the wooden bars by 4 or 8, would look even better.

There's not much in doom that is hard to make unless it involves complicated tricks. Harder to make detailed stuff run in doom2.exe though.

One thing I would do though is raise the ceiling on the wooden bars by 4 or 8, would look even better.

Each horizontal wooden bars/beams from the texture are a certain length (12 or 16). I made the beams the height they are now to display one beam. Raising them would cut off part of the beam on the texture ruining the effect. Even after doing that, I can always raise the sky inside to preserve the effect, but then it'll be taller than the sky outside where the green arches are, and you can't see anything above the sky. Just like trying to create a door that is 128 pts tall in a sector with a sky flat that's also 128 pts tall.

I'd just lower the ceiling in the rest of the room. It looks better imo if you always have a height difference when you switch flat, both on ceilings and floors.

i have played your wad.nice level.but haven't finish it yet.ii seem there are a little few ammo and health placement?

and chain gunner placement (after getting red key and spawning back to start point) is a bit too tricky.

Ok, to all who are having, did have problems, or even will have problems with the chaingunners after getting the red key, here's what's going on:

After getting the red key, the hordes of monsters teleport to the area you're in. At the same time, chaingunners teleport to the middle of the starting point (the same area you appear after entering the teleporter which opens with the blue key switch). Since the red key area is to the right of the starting point, the chaingunners walk toward your location, in this case, to the right.

I tried multiple attempts to fix this, but the only way is to move the entire area to the bottom of the starting point, thus creating lots of wasted space.

Oh, and this is regarding the area with the demons and the pain elemental. If you prematurely fall into the area when the metal gate is still up, there's no way back up without clipping back up to the wood platform. The teleporter to the left just brings you back to the top anyway.

I counted three chaingunners, and yes I did die twice before getting luckky with teh SSG third time round!

Great map, Zeratul, I've done it twice now, though I must admit on UV I've had to leave out 100% kills to finish, I just can't take that Cyberdemon on or the multitude of kinghts/teleporter demons. Not enough ammo or I'm just being shit? I keep running out of evrything 'cept rockets

There is, I think, though I've only run in it ZDoom, a bug. In the final area, the switch that lowers the raised path so you can hit the first of teh series, well when the path comes down HOM happens, I think it's missing it's lower texture on the side closest to the exit.

Here is the MYPOS: x,y(-376, 3545); that's roughly it.

I'd have to disagree with Erik, I think it's actually not a very simple design, but quite a well-developed one, especially the central area, which is very cleverly-laid out, and you get to see it fully when the middle lowers. Nice one Zeratul!