Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fatal error

Blood Map

Amusingly, I've just started playing Blood for the first time. Excellent game, I must say. Probably my second-favorite FPS behind DOOM.

I'd be happy to give this a try, but, um...I admit that I don't actually know how to load custom maps into Blood.

Neither do I, to be honest. I don't know if I needed to load the Plasma Pak as an add-on either, but if so, I still don't remember.

If I can be assed to find my old Blood CD though, I'll give this a shot.

I'm fairly certain Plasma Pak is just an upgraded version of Blood, like Ultimate DOOM is to DOOM.

Ah, I got it. The help text file seems to indicate that you use the -map command line parameter to specify add-on levels.

Okay, now I can try this out. :)

EDIT: And it comes with a batch file anyway, so maybe that's all I need to run.

When I used to play "Sect Wars" for blood and there was another I want to say it was called "An Old Friend"??? (IIRC)

Well, I had like 4 copies of the blood file. I had one for the Add-ons "Plasma Pak" and "Cryptic Passage". Then I had one for "Sect Wars" and "An Old Friend", and I had one for just random fan made maps from http://www.bloodgame.ru/forum/ this was like 2-3 years ago.

But I could not Have all the custom batch files together. When doing the add-ons, Just put the batch files with the game files and BAM! Keep a clean copy of the BLOOD file just in case, Because mine ended up corrupted sometimes. And all I had to do was copy and paste things again. (oh yeah, run the batch file)

I had it running on Windows 2000, The only problem was It didn't support sound. Played just fine though.

The one that has the game in it. C:\games\Blood

Edit: I get what your asking. It's Just in the main folder. With the .exe, Not the sub directories.

I did. For a Number of reasons. One of the add-ons replaces a episode in the game. Some custom maps corrupt the whole blood game all together. So it was always nice to have a back up. Plus I think alot of the custom maps won't play when the add-on is present.

It was a pain in the ass, but totally worth it.

Just make sure you make a Clean back up. Meaning just the standard game itself.

I feel like I'm playing Wolfenstein 3D again. :)

But, that's fair enough. Thanks for the heads-up.

magicsofa said:

Needs More Lighting

Version 3 improves the lighting a great deal, although it may not be perfect. You were playing version 3 I hope?

You were right, skaman. I'm not sure if it was from playing this level or starting up Cryptic Passage or browsing files with XWE, but sure enough, BLOOD.RFF got corrupted and kind of "deleted" itself, reducing it to a 1KB file. Luckily, I restored it without much trouble.

As for "It's A War Out There," I gave the map a spin (though it was version 2, since that was the only version that was available yesterday). Of course, I don't have any prior experience with Blood add-on levels, but this seems decent for a first attempt. Strong texture theming is there, with nothing looking especially out of place--the town streets look like town streets, the sewers look like sewers, and so on. Detailing is okay too, with lots of chairs and tables and posters and other decorations placed about in logical locations. Lighting is adequate. Difficulty seems a bit on the easy side, but it's not a stroll in the park or anything. No significant errors (just little things like texture misalignments and such).

The gameplay doesn't have a very good flow to it, though. A significant amount of your play time seems to involve finding a locked door at point A, making a very brief detour to point B, grabbing a key, then coming right back to point A--re-covering the same exact terrain you just walked a moment earlier--to open the door, just so you can do the same thing two minutes later. The level's also quite linear, so once you get those keys, there's nothing to do but make a beeline back the exact same way you came in. There's usually also nothing new spawned in or anything to liven up these return trips, either (with one exception, which, since nothing usually happens, was pretty unexpected).

Also, I do hope you'll learn how to do swinging doors for future maps. The double-doors in that mansion-type section right before you get the fire key--the ones that slid up into the ceiling like Doom doors--were especially ugly. If you can't do the swinging, just leave them open. Having doors with knobs sliding up into the ceiling just looks bad.

I think you might've gotten a little carried away with some of the "crackling fire" sound effects, too. All the torches roaring with flame in the final arena make quite a cacophony.

I do hope you'll work on more Blood maps. I'm glad people are still making these, and I think you could come up with something neat, given practice. Thanks for giving me my first Blood add-on level to play! :)

To be honest the swinging doors was the first thing I tried to make, but I couldn't get it to work correctly D: However there is one sliding door in there ;)

Btw, what did you think of the cutscene?

Megamur said:

You were right, skaman. I'm not sure if it was from playing this level or starting up Cryptic Passage or browsing files with XWE, but sure enough, BLOOD.RFF got corrupted and kind of "deleted" itself, reducing it to a 1KB file. Luckily, I restored it without much trouble.

Yea, I never noticed that it reduced the size of the file. I just know that for some reason during gameplay it would just crash. Upon restarting the game, I found it needed to be reinstalled. But! That was when files other than the standard game were introduced to the mix i.e. add-ons. Otherwise it played just fine.

I bet your happy about making a back-up now :)

fatal error said:

To be honest the swinging doors was the first thing I tried to make, but I couldn't get it to work correctly D: However there is one sliding door in there ;)

Btw, what did you think of the cutscene?

Yes, I did notice the sliding door and was happy you pulled that off. :)

And the cutscene was okay. Helped set the tone of the map.

skaman86 said:

I bet your happy about making a back-up now :)

Indeed! A backup BLOOD.RFF will be in my Blood folder from now on.

I love new Blood mappage, and actually get time to play it every now and then so ta for that, I'll give it a shot.

On the subject of Blood mods and stuff, the 3-episode Bloody Pulp Fiction mod/map-pack that was released a couple of years ago abouts is excellent, the first episode in particular on par or better than the originals. You can tell by Ep 3 they were just wanting to get the damn thing finished though...

toxicfluff said:

On the subject of Blood mods and stuff, the 3-episode Bloody Pulp Fiction mod/map-pack that was released a couple of years ago abouts is excellent, the first episode in particular on par or better than the originals.

I'd like to play this, but I'm reading the installation instructions that comes with the 1.2 patch, and I'm a bit stumped:

Install a nice fresh version of OWU (make sure to cli2nop it's exe)

They might as well be speaking in some obscure Mayan dialect. I have no idea what this means.

'OWU' probably means the 'One Unit Whole' release of the game, as seen here.

I believe that cli2nop goes through the executable and replaces certain instructions with NOOPs, to stop the game from constantly crashing under Windows.

[edit: Yeah, see this page for some info on cli2nop, as well as a link to the program.]

Ah, so it's a typo. He typed it out "OWU"--"One Whole Unit"--which isn't a real thing, so I got confused. And I use DOSBox anyway and Blood never crashes (well, okay, one time, but that was a weird, isolated incident), so I shouldn't need to use cli2nop.

Thank you for clarification. :)

woah woah, a custom map for blood? I didnt even think that was possible.

I have to admit, BLOOD is my favorite DOS game. I love doom, but the atmosphere of BLOOD is just amazing, and tensifying.

Of course custom Blood maps are possible. Heck, the back of the old Blood game cases specifically advertised how you can "build your own abomination." The problem with Blood is that the source code was never released, so it can't be ported to new systems. People have been stuck trying to make TC's for other engines instead, like ZDoom, EDuke32, and Darkplaces (Quake).

I don't have the blood case so I didnt see that.
I would love to have that source code released, it is easily one of the best games I have ever played out of the 1990s era.

Indeed, I have absolutely no idea why the source was never released, unless they've simply lost track of it. Even Blood II's source was (partly) released, and nobody even liked that game.

I heard it was lost. BLOOD 2 the chosen looks decent at its best. I've looked at some gameplay, but I still wouldn't get it. I dont like the setting of it, either. It feels to, deus ex-y to be considered blood.

Well, I finally figured out how to install Bloody Pulp Fiction. Unfortunately, I still can't really play it. The mod forces you to use a copy of (the now-outdated) DOSBox 0.73 that comes with it, instead of just letting you use your own DOSBox. I have no idea how to edit the configuration files of the DOSBox it makes you use, so the mouse turning speed is unacceptably sluggish. (My mouse is weird and needs ludicrously high sensitivity settings in order to get good turn speeds. My DOSBox mouse sensitivity is cranked up to 1400.)

Oh well. I'm sure it's a nice mod, but it doesn't look like I'll be playing it.