Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mmx

Converting Doom maps to Quake

Hello all,

I'm trying to convert a few Doom maps to Quake, without luck. I generated some maps with SLIGE and wanted to convert those for Quake and see how they fit in 3D. I have tried D2Q, but the resulting levels have many holes and invalid geometry. I also tried QDM.

Maybe you guys can recommend something for me? Any good converter, or maybe a Doom map editor that exports to Quake MAP format?

No chance. The two games have such different formats that it's essentially impossible to convert maps for one into maps for the other with a computer. You'll have to build them manually in a Quake map editor.

Solarn said:

No chance.

Indeed. It's completely impossible to transform a 2d map into "true" 3d. That's the reason why ports like GZDoom unfortunately are not able to render anything.

Standard Quake MAP tools are so picky that it's a nightmare to generate anything complex in MAP format. For that reason Oblige, a random map generator, doesn't export MAPs but exports BSPs instead. (It does have MAP-like internal representation for maps, but if converted to MAPs, Quake tools wouldn't cope with them.)
Edit: Boris, I'd appreciate it if you would stop posting nonsense.

Should be possible, in theory. Everything vanilla Doom can do is possible in Quake. Somebody with a deep knowledge of both engines and their file formats should be able to write a tool like that.

(ok maybe not if the WAD has 10,000 monsters in it...)

hex11 said:

Should be possible, in theory. Everything vanilla Doom can do is possible in Quake. Somebody with a deep knowledge of both engines and their file formats should be able to write a tool like that.

(ok maybe not if the WAD has 10,000 monsters in it...)

Note that I didn't say anything about converting Doom maps to BSP format. I talked about converting to MAP.

I've used d2q.exe a few times,

the converted .map files are fine as far as the walls of the sectors go. But the floors and ceilings tend to be rather messed up.
So I usually end up deleting all the floor and ceiling brushes, and redoing them myself.

It's faster than remaking the map from scratch, when you have the walls and their heights as a reference to where the floor and ceiling brushes should go. And all the walls will be correctly positioned in relation with each other too, which is way harder to pull if you do anything big/complex by hand.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ia6jah.png
http://i56.tinypic.com/51yhya.png

Solarn said:

No chance. The two games have such different formats that it's essentially impossible to convert maps for one into maps for the other with a computer. You'll have to build them manually in a Quake map editor.

Lol what? An algorithm can be made that converts sectors to sets of polyhedrons (brushes), that's sure. Same as how an algorithm/program already exists that transforms Wolf3d maps to Doom maps.

printz said:

Lol what? An algorithm can be made that converts sectors to sets of polyhedrons (brushes), that's sure. Same as how an algorithm/program already exists that transforms Wolf3d maps to Doom maps.

Printz: go ahead and make it. It must generate MAPs (generating BSPs directly is cheating) files that can be compiled to a BSP by standard Quake tools, without leaks.
And I don't understand how it's the "same".

There are two or three old tools for that. You might want to try QuakeDM - it's the one used for these maps. However, unless you're looking into converting Doom maps to Quake for some scientific/techie purpose, it's not recommended as the results are bound to suck. At the very least they'll require a lot of additional effort, bug-fixing etc. to get them to a minimum level of quality.
As for Oblige, the levels that it generates are absolutely horrible and shouldn't be used for anything. Not even mentioned.

Edit: Just realized you did try QDM. Well, like I said, You won't be able to produce working results without additional effort. Most likely to a point where recreating the maps from scratch is an easier and less painful way.

neg!ke said:

As for Oblige, the levels that it generates are absolutely horrible and shouldn't be used for anything. Not even mentioned.

I don't think so. Oblige 3.57 generates quite decent Doom levels.

Doom levels, yes. But I was refering to its experimental Quake level generator.

I have made a DOOM to MAP converter which actually works.

It's called Doom2Brush.

Maybe tomorrow I'll polish it up a bit and make a Windows binary (the source code is in the glbsp SVN repository if anyone is curious).

By "actually works" you mean...? No leaks and bad brushes like QDM does?

Actually I don't know if my program works any better than those other ones, it has worked OK for me but I have not tested it on really big or complex maps.

Here it is btw: http://glbsp.sourceforge.net/files/doom2brush-0.3.zip

I had trouble loading the output into NetRadiant, needed to add three zeros to the lines to get it to load in. There is a program on OpenArena's forums (a recent thread) to do that.

Does it convert doors and other parts of the map like QDM does?

Just try it??

Then you'll find out it that it doesn't convert doors or any other functions, only geometry and entities specified in the convdefs.txt. The brush conversion seems pretty accurate, but it doesn't keep texture offsets. Quite awkward to use, too, but the main downside is that it outputs to the Quake3 map format which isn't compatible to Q1 apart from DP. Still, on a technical level it's nice work, I guess, so good job andrewj.

mmx said:

Does it convert doors and other parts of the map like QDM does?

Nope.

As I (should have) said, it's a simple program which is not user friendly or featureful. If it doesn't work properly or do what you want, then tough cookies.

Doom Builder should be able to export Quake maps. It would make mapping for Quake much easier...

tempun said:

Printz: go ahead and make it. It must generate MAPs (generating BSPs directly is cheating) files that can be compiled to a BSP by standard Quake tools, without leaks.
And I don't understand how it's the "same".

I'm going to make a Quake .MAP to GZDoom map converter. Brushes become 3d floors (as long as they're not wildly free-form) and entities become things. I wonder if I can settle with "dynamic" lights generated from light entities, or use some extra available data from the horizontal brush face textures to make up the sector lights, considering that having to manually adjust all light levels of a complex network of intertwined 3d floors would be a pain.

The problem with Doom to Quake map converters I have tried in the past is that the conversion would be very inefficient and the resulting Quake map would be using more brushes than necessary for walls and floors, so if you want to convert Doom maps then you would have to keep that in mind.